IGNORED

Bad power connection

Yurkie

One of the biggest issues with the CV aside from power switch, and it was getting more common toward the end of my modding and repair was bad power connection.

The pins on the power input on the back of the console get loose and then don't make good connection with the power supply plug. Resting the pin on the inside of the power jack against a brass bolt and using a steel punch to tighten works pretty well as does using the steel punch on the side of the power jack to tighten the pcb.

I was thinking a replacement panel jack and matching plug for the power supply would be ideal.

Found these 2 items the panel jack attached to a small pcb would probably work really well in the existing opening in the console.

Here are the links.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Female-Power-Jacks-Sockets/dp/B007PODJI4

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kycon/KPPX-4P?qs=Y0vc5luVLxJNKFay3ZyJLw%3D%3D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIweT4qbLC5gIVCf_jBx0XMgBXEAQYASABEgKa5vD_BwE

You know...what about old PC molex power supply connectors? They might even be close to the same size that one could be somehow attached to a small PCB that would slide into the grooves the original uses on the case? Course that means the end of the actual PSU needs to be cut and replaced with the opposite gender plug to match.

Or..keep a ColUSB on hand as I do as I've found their adapter seems to fit in pretty snug against those male pins on the connector.

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

I'm not saying that it never happens, but I've yet to have a problem with the power connector on any of my CVs.

I have one developing at the moment.  The input is around 4.8V, but as soon as it reaches the board it's down to 4.6V.  I first noticed this because 4.75V is TTL spec for cutoff threshold for good power, so my diag board considered that a failure.  I bet it's that riveted connection at the plug.

22 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

I have one developing at the moment.  The input is around 4.8V, but as soon as it reaches the board it's down to 4.6V.  I first noticed this because 4.75V is TTL spec for cutoff threshold for good power, so my diag board considered that a failure.  I bet it's that riveted connection at the plug.

Ah, now you mention it I did have one of the riveted connections start to break on one of mine.  I soldered it together and it has been fine since.  Definitely a weak spot in the design.