Jump to content
Yaron Nir

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Recommended Posts

On 1/14/2020 at 3:38 AM, TIX said:

Boss screen assets ready  :)

 

image.thumb.png.a2cf96a24f3879d9ac7293883366e1b9.png image.png.b1cc1b692c85331b24e59006ef4b9141.png

 

That looks great!

 

40 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

ok, some programming progress, still in sprint tests

 

wonderboy power life is droping by the minute, and when it reaches 0 wonderboy is dying (same as in arcades he is touching a foul object).

then his life left reduced by 1. when it reaches to 0 the game should exit. but for now it thows an exception i need to fix.

 

if you want to skip waiting till power life is 0, you can use F1 to speed the emulator.

 

enjoy

 

wonderboy.xex 8.94 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks. Always fun to try a new update.  Going good!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok,

posting some progress.

 

ice level is in place together with status bar and wonderboy

this is not the full level but only half of it.

 

you can ran around and see level scroll .

when power life is out - you die :) 

when life is gone - i've added a break instruction so game will crush on purpose

 

there is a timing issue where wonderboy jumps high and screen is scrolling and he is trying to throw his axe - will be fixed

 

wonderboy.xex

 

output file is still not on cartridge - i am working slowly but gradually on this.

 

enjoy

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MARIO130XE said:

awesome progress... can't wait to play the full game on A8. wow, just wow, mate.

Thanks man. Always appreciate this type of feedback ... 👍👍👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

ok,

posting some progress.

 

ice level is in place together with status bar and wonderboy

this is not the full level but only half of it.

 

you can ran around and see level scroll .

when power life is out - you die :) 

when life is gone - i've added a break instruction so game will crush on purpose

 

there is a timing issue where wonderboy jumps high and screen is scrolling and he is trying to throw his axe - will be fixed

 

wonderboy.xex 26.67 kB · 30 downloads

 

output file is still not on cartridge - i am working slowly but gradually on this.

 

enjoy

WOW, I love it :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking awesome!  I got my 1st PAL machine 10 or 15 years ago now I guess.  Never looked back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

Looks like Gonzo's games previews. 

hoax team(this is what we call ourselves)  is planning to release a full game.

not just a preview

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case I keep my fingers crossed for success.

 

Your screen takes too much RAM. Every line takes 2 pages, with 16 lines is 8KB.  One LMS is enough , and screen takes <1KB, then you must draw only 1 vertical line on the right.

Edited by shanti77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

In that case I keep my fingers crossed for success.

 

Your screen takes too much RAM. Every line takes 2 pages, with 16 lines is 8KB.  One LMS is enough , and screen takes <1KB, then you must draw only 1 vertical line on the right.

well, the screen in the xex above is 512 bytes wide X 24 char mode rows = 12K

the plan is to use screen bufferring and to always work with 96 bytes wide of screen (40+8 X 2) and keep loading the next 96 chunk. we will also use packing and de-packing so the size will be much much much more smaller than 12K. 

don't judge performance just yet....just enjoy the demo AS-IS :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it this doesn't work on Atari800WinPlus?  There is no background, even in PAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tjlazer said:

I take it this doesn't work on Atari800WinPlus?  There is no background, even in PAL.

Guessing it is relying on really time critical code?  Sorry, I have not tried it on real hardware.  If it works on that, definitely an emulator issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tjlazer said:

I take it this doesn't work on Atari800WinPlus?  There is no background, even in PAL.

i tried it on my Atari800winplus emu and it worked fine. 

i am using version 4.0

 

althought Altirra is my favorite emu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

Yaron,

 

What will the A8 memory requirements be to run this?

Also, will it be NTSC compatible?

Well,

I am now building the code to reside on Mega Cart (1MB cartridge)

The game in planned to be released on this cartridge.

I am compiling and linking the code to support AtariXL 800 / XE130

So A8 with 64K is fine.

 

anything in particular?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

Well,

I am now building the code to reside on Mega Cart (1MB cartridge)

The game in planned to be released on this cartridge.

I am compiling and linking the code to support AtariXL 800 / XE130

So A8 with 64K is fine.

 

anything in particular?  

I was just wondering if it would run on an Atari 800.

Also, if it NTSC compatible?

 

Edited by CrazyChris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, José Pereira said:

Hey PAL doesn't have Artifacting, right?

 

Actually it does, not as funky as NTSC artifacting but there's at least one PAL game that uses it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jacques said:

What about MaxFlash 1MB?

Well, my first goal is to release on MegaCart 1MB. 

i think i can do the adaptation to MaxFlash afterwards.

 

3 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

I was just wondering if it would run on an Atari 800.

Also, if it NTSC compatible?

Yes, it will run on A8 , not just emulator.

NTSC will follow. focus is PAL for the moment.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...