IGNORED

3d print Indus GT?

Stormbringer

I doubt anyone has done it before. Sorry to hear your Indus GT cover is cracked, but "always" is just not true, and in fact may be a rare occurrence. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've owned 3 Indus GT drives, I still own 2 of them, and a California Access 2001 Indus clone drive that I still own, and none of mine ever came cracked or became cracked. Maybe they "always" crack if you drop them...;)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

mine isnt cracked but one end is slightly out of line when closed...

Now slightly out of alignment? Yes, both my current ones stick out slightly on the bottom right corner when closed. It bothers the hell out of me too, but I haven't dared try and heat it up with a blow dryer. That bit is definitely an engineering flaw in the design, I've seen it in pictures of other's drives before too, so that may be something that "always" happens. 

But as far as cracking, I was referring to the face plate as a whole, including the tinted door, which is what I thought @Stormbringer was referring too, with calling it the "cover." My CA 2001 drive doesn't even include a door. None of my doors on ones I owned or own have ever been cracked separately either though. But I did own a Rana 1000 drive with a cracked face plate at one time. 

Edited by Gunstar

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

oh, no... this warped front was resolved years ago... one of the two "arms" that holds the face plate in place cracked. not the front of it... guess I would have thought someone tossed it to in that case..

Strange, I had one of my Indus GT's apart a few months ago trouble-shooting it (it was a small read/write IC) I looked at the door mechanism carefully to see if it was out of alignment and needed to be adjusted to fix the "warp," and I saw no sign of a crack in the arm or else I would have attempted repairing it with super glue or something. I'll have to take a closer look, I guess. But I'd think any crack was obvious and could be easily seen since the "warp" is noticeable. 

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

The smoked acrylic swing-up cover. Mine was warped from the center/front.. the arms were fine and that wasn't the alignment issue.

There are translucent filaments that can be used for 3d printing.

So when you say "the warped front cover was resolved years ago," do you mean that you specifically resolved it being warped on your particular drive years ago? I thought you meant that it was a commonly known problem (what @xrbrevin was referring too about his door, that both my drives also have the same issue) that had been resolved years ago by someone in the "community."

yes my pivot points are also fine, the operation is smooth. its just a degree of warpage on one end of the outermost flat face that lets it down a bit.

ive seen translucent filaments on youtube but they are not entirely clear. only to an extent and that's also in relation to the standard opaque types

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't realize I was being unclear. The warpage on MY faceplate was from the center. I got it hot enough to bend it back using a flat surface. I did not touch the ends. I finally got a area to set my stuff up and when I opened the door via the button it just kinda sagged.. The right side that broke off has the spring attached to lift it up.  I'll try gorilla glue but was just curious if someone made a 3d model of it at some point

1c335a6125964792597e95e683bb8b3847a90987-1.thumb.jpeg.e71c2a1ee6cb6657da9434b0f74730e9.jpeg

Edited by Stormbringer
fat finger
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 12:30 AM, Stormbringer said:

There are translucent filaments that can be used for 3d printing.

I have used those but the resulting look will not match acrylic at all. It will be translucent but in no way transparent. 

I can‘t do it but acrylic can be bent using a device with a heated wire that warms it up evenly along the bending line. The side parts would probably need to be cut and drilled but I have no idea how they would be fixed to the main door part (glued, ‚melted‘ on?). I can ask my son, he briefly learned about that in engineering high school.

On 12/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, xrbrevin said:

yes my pivot points are also fine, the operation is smooth. its just a degree of warpage on one end of the outermost flat face that lets it down a bit.

ive seen translucent filaments on youtube but they are not entirely clear. only to an extent and that's also in relation to the standard opaque types

Right. This is my exact issue with both of my drives. The warpage seems to be a common issue/flaw. Maybe from heat or shrinkage or stress from the aperture, somehow this seems to occur over time. Cracked face plates and doors are user error, even if it's a case of brittle plastic. Except for the issue @Stormbringer has, that is also stress issue, and like the warping, an engineering or materials issue.

Edited by Gunstar