IGNORED

AtariMax MyIDE II with SDX 4.49c and all OSS languages (and more)

ebiguy

Did I tell you that I love Steven Tucker's AtariMax products?

I don't want to compare products or tell you that product X is better than product Y.
We have the chance that many great solutions have been created for the A8 and that's very cool.
My goal is to focus on MyIDE II and show you a new way of using this fantastic product.

I have been working many years ago on a SpartaDos X packaging for MyIDE II and my goal today is to share it with you.
This will be my Christmas gift (a little bit too late).

You already saw that there is a ZIP file to download but before trying it, let's examine what is inside.
This packaging looks like the ones I prepared for MyIDE+Flash and MaxFlash 8Mb:
You have a bin file to flash to your cartridge. This bin file is an integration of these components:
- SpartaDos X 4.49c
- Tools from the SpartaDos X Toolkit already in CAR:
- Steven Tucker's FAT32 loader
- Several languages:
  + OSS Mac/65
  + OSS Action!
  + OSS Basic XL
  + OSS Basic XE compatible with the Basic XE extension disk (see note)
  + OSS Integer Basic
  + Atari Pilot
  + Atari Assembler Editor
  + Altirra Basic
  + Synassembler

When you boot the cartridge, you are in SpartaDos X.
If you boot the cartridge while pressing START, you enter FAT32 loader and can use it as usual.
Note that this version has been patched to work also on SECAM computers.

The same features common to all my packages (for MyIDE+Flash and MaxFlash 8Mb) can also be found in MyIDE II:
- By pressing SELECT at boot time, you switch to an OSRAM configuration, leaving all extended banks free.
- On the boot drive, you can prepare 2 files to load your own drivers:
  + When SDX is in BANKED mode, CONFIG.SYS ends up merging with CONFGI.CFG (NOTE the swapped letters I and G - GI as GIant config)
  + When SDX is in OSRAM mode, CONFIG.SYS ends up merging with CONFIG.CFG (this time letters are not swapped)

This means that you can easily load additional drivers depending on the memory configuration.

But what makes MyIDE II hardware so unique is that the cartridge contains 512 KB RAM !

So the idea of this SDX packaging is to make heavy use of this RAM to offer new features that you can't find anywhere else:
- reduce main memory footprint of the drivers.
- offer a full featured SpartaDos X even if you don't have extended memory (ENV, DOSKEY, RAMDISK...).
- add a new driver for the screen history (explanation follows)

The fact that you get all the drivers available in both BANKED and OSRAM configuration makes MyIDE II a perfect companion when moving from a computer to another one.
This packaging is also compatible with Ultimate 1MB. It will make use of the U1MB clock missing in MyIDE II :(
If no U1MB clock is found, this packaging will try to get the date from APE through SIO.

This first screenshot is in BANKED configuration

banked.png.5453e74a37b895fa113b2f97073f720f.png

This second screenshot is in OSRAM configuration

osram.png.a6015c00348b568604c2b04c3e4fb589.png

As you can see, all the features like DOSKEY or the RAMDISK are still available in OSRAM configuration.
The price to pay is a little bit less main memory because, even if the drivers use MyIDE II RAM, they consume also main memory.

A new screen history tool has been added.
If you are like me, I hate using CTRL-1 to stop scrolling when you list a basic program or when you issue a DIR command.
This is not a very convenient way to pause/resume scrolling.
So my solution is to keep all the lines that disappear with the scrolling in a screen history.
Now you can type DIR and let the SpartaDos X display 150 lines.
Once finished, use CTRL-SHIFT-UP to enter the history and see the "previous" screens.
When in the history, the background color changes so you know you are in the history.
You can press CTRL-SHIFT-UP at any time.
It freezes the main program so that you can take your time to read the history.
The main program resumes its execution when you exit the history.
The history has a capacity of 30 screens (720 lines)

Here is a screenshot when the history has been entered

history.png.8a47871c9e1b8c009962cd56358869b1.png

Note: OSS Basic XE is compatible with the extension disk.
The file BASIC XE Extension Disk.atr provided in the archive works fine with MyIDE II.
The disk contains a special version of BASICXE.OSS that is working with this version of Basic XE.
The file has been renamed to BASICXM.OSS to know that this one works with MyIDE II.

To use the Basic XE Extension, you should match the following conditions:
- you need to run SpartaDos X in BANKED mode.
- you must have more than 128Kb so that SpartaDos X and Basic XE won't use the same memory banks.
- you must leave 4 banks free so that Basic XE can use these banks as if it was on a stock 130XE.
- optionaly, you should configure your memory to have separate ANTIC and CPU ram access. Use Compy configuration if you can.
The last point is required for running the SHOWPIC.BXE example found in the extension disk.

One last note: The content of the bin file has been hand-crafted so do not try to change the content with SDXImageUser.exe. It would destroy the OSS images and some patches.

MyIDE2.zip

Edited by ebiguy
  • Like 14

Thanks for this hard work!  ?

But before I try... can anybody put here or sent a direct working link to get the newest myIDE2 firmware incl. flashtool? I got my myIDE2 cart from the first batch Steven Tucker offers, several years ago. I never use it really. But I´m pretty sure there are a lot of development since then. But... the "supportforum" is chaos, unstructured and also there´s no real activity. Who can help?

I think you have to install the Maxflash Studio.

You can download it freely at:

https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/downloads/Maxflash_Studio_Installer.exe

Once installed, you choose the following menu entry

firmware.thumb.png.d7c93ebea3ffea1f4b3ee741655bcf18.png

EDIT: This menu upgrades the firmware of the Maxflash USB programmer, not the MyIDE II firmware. Sorry for the confusion.

If you have the programmer, then you can check the firmware version of your MyIDE II cartridge.

Mine is 20130303.

myide2.thumb.png.b396538e2f0855e32a8f9e088720b55d.png

I do not have any JEDEC file for MyIDE II if your version is too old.

But I am not sure that the version is a problem to program the MyIDE II cartridge.

You should try (either with the Maxflash USB programmer or using an ATR).

Edited by ebiguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ebiguy said:

You should try (either with the Maxflash USB programmer or using an ATR).

Atarimax FAT32 Loader (20130224).EXE

The fat32 loader has an option to flash this rom file with CNTR+F.  Just put the AtariMax MyIDE II with SDX 4.49c and all OSS languages.bin into the fat32 portion with PC copy to flash highlight and CNTR+F and it flashes the chip.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

w00t!

Here is the update with SDX 4.49 final version.

MyIDE2449.zip

BTW, It would be cool to get feedbacks if the packaged SDX for MyIDE II (this one or the previous one with 4.49c) is useful and used.

This is my configuration of choice with all in one (languages, toolkit, manuals, drivers,...). I really like using it.

Edited by ebiguy
  • Like 5

• 3 years later...
On 12/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, Roydea6 said:

Atarimax FAT32 Loader (20130224).EXE 29.57 kB · 81 downloads

The fat32 loader has an option to flash this rom file with CNTR+F.  Just put the AtariMax MyIDE II with SDX 4.49c and all OSS languages.bin into the fat32 portion with PC copy to flash highlight and CNTR+F and it flashes the chip.

Reading articles in this forum I tried to follow instructions to install SDX_449c into MyIDEII cartridge. Using first Maxflash Cartridge Studio with sequences:

Cartridge>Program>MyIDE-II CompactFlash Cartridge (512kb Flash)

gave the following:

[USB Task] Cartridge erase...

[USB Task] Error performing read operation! Embedded program timeout. Task aborted!

After that I found the Atarimax FAT32 Loader (20130224).EXE - but I was not able to install it, because "not supported Windows version". I have W'7 64-bit Pro OS.

So, if this application is needed to correctly install BIN file, where can I find the OS compatible version of FAT32 Loader?

Thank you,

Peter

On 12/26/2019 at 6:33 AM, ebiguy said:

I don't want to compare products or tell you that product X is better than product Y.
We have the chance that many great solutions have been created for the A8 and that's very cool.
My goal is to focus on MyIDE II and show you a new way of using this fantastic product.

I have been working many years ago on a SpartaDos X packaging for MyIDE II and my goal today is to share it with you.

You already saw that there is a ZIP file to download but before trying it, let's examine what is inside.
You have a bin file to flash to your cartridge. This bin file is an integration of these components:
- SpartaDos X 4.49c
- Several languages:
  + OSS Mac/65
  + OSS Action!
  + OSS Basic XL
  + OSS Integer Basic
  + Atari Pilot
  + Atari Assembler Editor
  + Altirra Basic
  + Synassembler

If you boot the cartridge while pressing START, you enter FAT32 loader and can use it as usual.

The same features common to all my packages (for MyIDE+Flash and MaxFlash 8Mb) can also be found in MyIDE II:
- By pressing SELECT at boot time, you switch to an OSRAM configuration, leaving all extended banks free.
  + When SDX is in BANKED mode, CONFIG.SYS ends up merging with CONFGI.CFG (NOTE the swapped letters I and G - GI as GIant config)
  + When SDX is in OSRAM mode, CONFIG.SYS ends up merging with CONFIG.CFG (this time letters are not swapped)

This means that you can easily load additional drivers depending on the memory configuration.

But what makes MyIDE II hardware so unique is that the cartridge contains 512 KB RAM !

So the idea of this SDX packaging is to make heavy use of this RAM to offer new features that you can't find anywhere else:
- offer a full featured SpartaDos X even if you don't have extended memory (ENV, DOSKEY, RAMDISK...).

The fact that you get all the drivers available in both BANKED and OSRAM configuration makes MyIDE II a perfect companion when moving from a computer to another one.
This packaging is also compatible with Ultimate 1MB. It will make use of the U1MB clock missing in MyIDE II :(
If no U1MB clock is found, this packaging will try to get the date from APE through SIO.

As you can see, all the features like DOSKEY or the RAMDISK are still available in OSRAM configuration.
The price to pay is a little bit less main memory because, even if the drivers use MyIDE II RAM, they consume also main memory.

If you are like me, I hate using CTRL-1 to stop scrolling when you list a basic program or when you issue a DIR command.
So my solution is to keep all the lines that disappear with the scrolling in a screen history.
Once finished, use CTRL-SHIFT-UP to enter the history and see the "previous" screens.
When in the history, the background color changes so you know you are in the history.

The file BASIC XE Extension Disk.atr provided in the archive works fine with MyIDE II.
The disk contains a special version of BASICXE.OSS that is working with this version of Basic XE.
The file has been renamed to BASICXM.OSS to know that this one works with MyIDE II.

- you must have more than 128Kb so that SpartaDos X and Basic XE won't use the same memory banks.
- you must leave 4 banks free so that Basic XE can use these banks as if it was on a stock 130XE.
- optionaly, you should configure your memory to have separate ANTIC and CPU ram access. Use Compy configuration if you can.
The last point is required for running the SHOWPIC.BXE example found in the extension disk.

One last note: The content of the bin file has been hand-crafted so do not try to change the content with SDXImageUser.exe. It would destroy the OSS images and some patches.

MyIDE2.zip 306.04 kB · 123 downloads

Hello Eric, what ever I am doing I am not able to flash this BIN file into MyIDE-II using Maxflash Cartridge Studio. Maybe the following pictures say more, what happened:

What is wrong? First of all, despite of loading BIN file, the 2. and 3. picture shows only 8,192 bytes loaded to program something. I just tried to flash this part of data into MyIDE-II, showing on ATARI monitor epmpty slots.

Order of pictures: New -> Tools -> Fails to flash

For addition image.thumb.png.2ad2855da13523656f3408102e16e1e2.png

Peter

Fails to flash.jpg

New.jpg

Tools.jpg

Edited by KPeter
Added one more info about the firmware

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 6:33 AM, ebiguy said:

- SpartaDos X 4.49c
- Several languages:
  + OSS Mac/65
  + OSS Action!
  + OSS Basic XL
  + OSS Integer Basic
  + Atari Pilot
  + Atari Assembler Editor
  + Altirra Basic
  + Synassembler

MyIDE2.zip 306.04 kB · 134 downloads

Hi, I flashed your nice software into MyIDE-2. I found, the FDISK is not working, probably, because the OVL files (FDISK0,1,2) are not flagged "hidden". I tried to set that flags using Imager from SDX, but the product is not working, despite I could flash it into the MyIDE-II. I am just inquiring about some updates on the Image. The other thing is, activating BXE is not working with Rapidus ON.

Thank you,

Peter

MyIDE_SDX449c.jpg