IGNORED

HSC16 Round 24: Spy Hunter

therealbountybob

On 12/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, STARBUG said:

Is DB-15 The Atari/Megadrive port?

No, it is the gameport found mainly on 90's PC systems, usually on the sound card because the port doubled as a MIDI interface. The port has analog inputs and a few digital buttons, I think. You'd connect anything from various analog joysticks & flightsticks to digital gamepads of all kinds, steering wheels and whatever floated the manufacturer's boat. Without getting into detail, many of the digital devices would send serial signals - pulses of on/off - to represent the controls which is akin to how NES/SNES and most modern video games work while in the Atari world and co-incidentally also Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, you have five digital lines for respective direction and fire button, thus a parallel interface. Converting between the two is possible but may require complex circuits or hacking.

I do believe there were steering wheels for PS1/PS2 too, which would be easier for me to use since I've got two PSX64 interfaces that convert PlayStation controllers into Atari/Commodore.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

No, it is the gameport found mainly on 90's PC systems, usually on the sound card because the port doubled as a MIDI interface. The port has analog inputs and a few digital buttons, I think. You'd connect anything from various analog joysticks & flightsticks to digital gamepads of all kinds, steering wheels and whatever floated the manufacturer's boat. Without getting into detail, many of the digital devices would send serial signals - pulses of on/off - to represent the controls which is akin to how NES/SNES and most modern video games work while in the Atari world and co-incidentally also Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, you have five digital lines for respective direction and fire button, thus a parallel interface. Converting between the two is possible but may require complex circuits or hacking.

I do believe there were steering wheels for PS1/PS2 too, which would be easier for me to use since I've got two PSX64 interfaces that convert PlayStation controllers into Atari/Commodore.

@carlsson Thanks for the info, even you're simplified explaination sounds complicated to me. Ideally, I would love to buy/build a couple of mame Aracde machines. One regular machine with joysticks (ideally 4), and one with a steering wheel for the likes of Pole Position arcade and the more modern arcade games.

I have quite a few consoles Snes/Megadrive/MegaCD/32x/Dreamcast/XBox/Ps1/Ps2 as well as Atari/C64/Spectrum (need to pick up an Amstrad from somewhere), so I'm pretty much covered for all the classics in terms of original hardware. But original Arcade Cabs just aren't feasible. 

Based on your knowledge, do you think it would be possible to build one with a steering wheel that would work for all the mame arcade racing games? Or is that wishful thinking? I known I'm distracting from the Atari 8-bit stuff here, but you seem to know your stuff, and it would be a dream come true if this was possible, I'm just trying to find out of its feasible.

The only other alternative in terms of arcade games, would be to buy the original cabs, but they're so hard to get in Europe, and not sure I could justify spending ridiculous money on them

Anyway, gonna play me some more Spy Hunter now. Big toe at the ready!

• Like 1

I'm not fully versed in MAME cabs but you have to remember there is a PC inside running the MAME emulator so inputs need to be in a form the PC accepts and the emulator recognizes. Joysticks of various kinds shouldn't be an issue I think, and steering wheels probably also work though there may be limitations on which and how they work, a topic to be researched elsewhere and at a later point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I'm not fully versed in MAME cabs but you have to remember there is a PC inside running the MAME emulator so inputs need to be in a form the PC accepts and the emulator recognizes. Joysticks of various kinds shouldn't be an issue I think, and steering wheels probably also work though there may be limitations on which and how they work, a topic to be researched elsewhere and at a later point.

Thanks for that Carlsson. I'll look into it more later in the year anyway.  

Back on topic; I just got 85k in Spy Hunter, and there wasn't a single Chopper in the whole game. It was actually harder, lots of other stuff to make up for the lack of Choppers, though I assume it's another bug, and not just a random thing?

Back to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

I've still been playing but not improved score, another session later on ;)

I probably won't get another chance to play this weekend, but just want to add that a bit of blue tac between the two controllers works perfect, it stops any sliding and feels really solid. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Had an 85Ker today. Such a quirky game sometimes the truck adjusts and you see your car shuffling about - I've not managed this yet but getting the chopper to bomb you when you've entered the truck, wonder what will happen!!

Reminder: Round ends  Sunday 5th Jan 10pm UK time ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

I'm just about done, great game but I can't keep it together for an improvement and am starting to progress through the expletives to combined triple versions :)

Reminder: Round ends  tonight: Sunday 5th Jan 10pm UK time ;)

Oh I've being effing and jeffing all the way thru! ?

My weekend plans were scuppered due to manflu, which means no hangover at least. I'm just about game fit anyway, so I'll give it another run here. Got another 137k and a couple of 120k+

I may as well keep going and see if I can put a good run together!

20200104_000642.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, STARBUG said:

Oh I've being effing and jeffing all the way thru! ?

My weekend plans were scuppered due to manflu, which means no hangover at least. I'm just about game fit anyway, so I'll give it another run here. Got another 137k and a couple of 120k+

I may as well keep going and see if I can put a good run together!

Don't over do it, save that first win for next season ;)

14 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Don't over do it, save that first win for next season ;)

Oh I'm still enjoying it, just trying to better my own score 

I actually beat my score the very next game, but I'm really annoyed about it. Got to 145k with 3 or 4 lives left, but got trapped in the water. The boat that shoots you was stopped right behind me, so if I tried to move out from the docking boat, I instantly died. My boat also glitched and was appearing on the opposite side of the screen, which didn't help. Felt really confident of a 160 or 170 there. 

Also, I can confirm that 10 items is the most you can get. You can't get more than 6 lives, and they don't save in the bank or anything, the 6 on screen is what you get (I hit 80k shortly after that pic below)

I also realised my little boy must have been playing with his (my) Optimus Prime on the TV when he was here on Friday, it's very apt for this game. If I beat my score again, I'll pop the trailer on, though I won't be drawing a picture of a, ahem "missile" on the top of it!

Right, 3 more games and that's it, I promise. Back to it! ?

20200105_183851.jpg

20200105_182431.jpg

• Like 2

Joysticks down and slippers back on! It's the end of the Season 16 of HSC action. It's been another good one but first it's congratulations to former HSC Champion DOPE for the win  on Spy Hunter :thumbsup: :thumbsup: with Starbug making a valiant attempt in 2nd place :thumbsup:

Despite it's numerous glitches Spy Hunter is a good addictive game and perfect for play here in the HSC, I'm sure we will dust it off again in the future, perhaps the game upgrade guys will take a look at it one day ;)

Thanks for playing.

I've updated the Season 16 Final Standings and we can discuss the season there too ;)

Final Tables

1st   Dope                              180,485  12pts
  2nd   Starbug                    145,860  12pts*
  3rd   therealbountybob            97,600  10pts
  4th   RedThunder                    35,415  9pts
  5th   carlsson                         34,905  8pts
  6th   McKong                         17,120  7pts
  7th   Sikor                             14,700  6pts
  8th   devwebcl                        8,780  5pts
  9th   slx                                 6,720  4pts

*1pt bonus for an impressive 10 icons on the status bar :thumbsup:

devwebcl also scored 6pts for his Moon Patrol Redux score.

• Like 1