IGNORED

NES A and B buttons are reversed on ROMs loaded onto sd card

Hi,

I used the instructions in this forum to load some ROMs onto my Legends Flashback console (2019 edition w/100 games).  Genesis games work perfectly.  I also loaded some NES games and found that the A and B buttons are switched.  I used the Start + --> combo to try and change controls, but it says that's not allowed.  Anyone experience and solve this issue?  Thanks!

I think you need to explain first what's mapped to what.

On my 2018 Legends Flashback system, NES buttons were mapped so that the leftmost button on a NES gamepad, the NES B button, was still correctly positioned to the left of NES A. However, this of course results in them being paired with the "wrong" letters on the Sega Genesis style clone controllers that come with the system.

So are you bothered that the NES button labeling doesn't match up to the button lettering on the buttons of the gamepad that AtGames supplied? It would be a pretty unusual NES experience for most fans if they were. The run button for instance in Super Mario Brothers would now be to the right of the jump button.

Or are you actually saying they're matched up here so NES A is mapped to the button that AtGames has lettered as A and so on? If so, that doesn't sound good at all since while perhaps convenient in something like Zelda 1 with the onscreen HUD showing what you have mapped to NES A & B, it would provide a bizarre experience in many platformers and action games to have the buttons reversed from their normal NES placement.

Edited by Atariboy

Hello,

Yes, the A and B buttons still serve their same purpose (A jumps, B sprints, etc...), but because the Genesis controller layout that came with the system has the A button to the left of the B button, it's backwards from a standard NES controller. So the Mario experience is exactly as you described.  Ideally, I could simply remap the keys, but it doesn't appear to be an option. Pressing Start + --> does not work.

This only happens on games I've loaded via the SD card. The NES games that came preloaded, like MegaMan 2 have the correct key mapping, so I realize this may be a lost cause.

Thanks!

Edited by bemillbc

• 1 month later...