IGNORED

sd2iec. What to expect

JOD-I

It depends on how many originals and scene demos you are intending to run. I have lived happily with an uIEC/SD for 10 years now, while others can't stand its limitations for 5 minutes. Basically it should load all programs that either are single filed or using standard loading mechanisms. It supports JiffyDOS, Final Cartridge 3, Epyx Fastload, Action Replay (in 1581 mode), Dreamload and a few more well known fastloader protocols, but since it doesn't have the processing capacity to fully emulate the CPU and entire system of a floppy drive, it won't be able to react to programs sending custom code to the drive (through the M-W command) in order to install their own fastloading protocols, often small variations of already known ones because "my loader is better than yours". Usually this happens with original games (which just as likely would need to be archived as G64 instead of D64) and scene demos.

Swap lists for multi disk games can be a little tricky to set up, but are supposed to work if you take your time. I know YMMV but generally the SD2IEC category of devices are capable of more than what the rumour might say they do.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Well, not beyond the fact that I've never felt the urge to spend ~$150 on an Ultimate 1541 series since I already owned a cheaper device that does what I need it for. But the support for certain, known fastloaders tends to be downplayed on behalf of the SD2IEC can not be reprogrammed on the fly.

Also I'm not sure where people find all those D64 images of original games. I know where to search and have found a smaller amount of those online, though usually preservers want to keep those images away from the general public. The majority of games you'll find are single filed by a cracker group 30 years ago or last week and in that case the perfect drive emulation is not really required anyway.

• Like 1

The SD2IEC is a great device. Get ahold of the "Gamebase 64" set online. That should be pretty easy to find with some searching. And get a Fastload cart (Fastload Reloaded from TFW8B is excellent) and you will be set. I have no issues running games (and even multi-disk games) with mine...as well as all of the demos from my demo group in the early 90's. 

I had an ultimate cart and while it was cool and had a lot of additional features, I never really found anything personally (that at least I wanted to run) that would work on it and not on an SD2IEC.

I have used plenty of self-made D64, D71, and D81 images with my SD2IEC, as well as native CMD partitions and subdirectories, not to mention recent commercial and freeware releases on D64, all with little hassle.  As for image collections, I use the TOSEC exclusively (because I am too lazy to branch out, I guess,) and I have never come across an image which does not work.

As usual, your mileage may vary, valid where permitted by law, and everything causes cancer in California but nowhere else.

Personally, I haven't had great luck with the SD2EIC.  Only about 60% of the .d64's and .prg's that i have actually load and run - they run fine in VICE.  It's a great device at a very reasonable price, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone, just temper your expectations.  I love playing on real hardware, even if it's a subset of games.

Something strikes me: is the SD2IEC an open source project?  There are numerous models of it.  I have the unit which sits flat against the back of the computer with the cassette port interface and serial connector all in one unit.  I am assuming that not all models are made by the same person, correct?

The firmware is under GPL V2, though I'm not sure exactly where to find it. See here for binaries: https://sd2iec.de/

I think each respective design that implements the device is property of whoever designed the hardware. Over the years there have been several hardware versions which is illustrated by the fact that the firmware exists in 10 different flavours.

I still wonder about those 40% failed D64's and in particular PRG files. @BydoEmpire do you download lots of original floppy disk dumps from a preservation respitory repository, or a lot of scene demos?

Edited by carlsson

If you need 100% compatibility to a 1541, get a Pi1541. I still use the sd2iec also primarily just because it is SO MUCH faster than a disk drive (well unless you cound DolphinDOS or other boutique setups).

Yes it is not 100% compatible, or even 90%, but it's FAST and you can usually find a version of something that works.

55 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I still wonder about those 40% failed D64's and in particular PRG files. @BydoEmpire do you download lots of original floppy disk dumps from a preservation respitory repository, or a lot of scene demos?

I've had a folder full of c64 images for ages, I don't recall where they're from.  They're all games, though, not demos.  I did try getting some versions of images from c64.org and other sites to see if they worked but I haven't had much luck.  I *might* have gotten a pile of them from a link someone shared here on AA to a c64 archive.  To be fair, a lot of what I have are cracked games.  I'm not sure if that'd make them more or less likey to run on a non-100% platform, though.  Depends on the individual game's copy protection scheme and how it was cracked.

Yeah, I usually download the cracked games too and have a much higher success rate, thus my question. Most of the time games are single filed with series of decrunchers to avoid loading multiple files. Of course games with multiple parts still need a loader mechanism, which may cause issues if the original custom loader is installed inside the game.

• Like 1