IGNORED

Retro Collecting Goals for 2020

It's that time of year again! As 2019 draws to a close, what are your personal collecting goals for the coming year? Are there any particular games or hardware you want to pick up next year, or games in your backlog that you want to make the time to play? Or maybe you're looking to slim down your collection and get rid of some stuff that's been collecting dust in 2020? Whatever your goals, I'd love to hear them! :D

Looking back on 2019, I feel pretty darn happy with how my year in collecting has gone. My big focus this year was on Sega Genesis collecting, and I stuck to it really well. I picked up just over 50 Genesis games with mint labels this past year and played every single one of them extensively (and beat most of them), and I also got a Sega CD Model 2 and 32X with half a dozen games for each this year and have really enjoyed playing all of them as well. 

As far as my plans for 2020 go, I'd like to pick up mint label copies of another half a dozen childhood favorite Genesis games that I'm missing as well as a Super Nintendo system with a couple games, a composite modded Atari 7800 and two homebrews (Rikki & Vikki along with Baby Pac-Man drew me back in to 7800 land lol), and a few other miscellaneous things. Here's my full list of collecting goals for 2020:

Jin's Retro Gaming Pickup Goals for 2020
Sonic CD (disc only) for Sega CD to replace my old copy that died of bit rot
Knuckles Chaotix for Sega 32X
Shadow Squadron for Sega 32X
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Sega Genesis
Earthworm Jim for Sega Genesis
Predator 2 for Sega Genesis
Ristar for Sega Genesis
RoboCop Versus The Terminator for Sega Genesis
HD Retrovision Genesis Component Cable
Super Nintendo System

Super Game Boy for Super Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for Super Nintendo
Star Fox for Super Nintendo
Composite modded Atari 7800 system (And keep it this time!)
Best Electronics Gold Upgraded CX-78 Joypad
Edladdin Seagull 78 Controller Adapter
Baby Pac-Man for Atari 7800
Rikki & Vikki for Atari 7800

That's everything on my collecting goals for 2020 list! What are your plans for next year? :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

For 2020: 

Expand my Sega Saturn collection

Expand my Atari 8-bit collection

Expand my 2600 collection 

Expand my Famicom collection

Downsize my Super Famicom collection

Mod my Sega Saturn

Finish Ninja Gaiden

Buy a NES (i'm using a clone system)

For the whole decade:

Get a complete my Atari Pong collection 

Complete my Vectrex collection

Get a Cassettevision

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 2

I dunno. Since I got Everdrives, my collecting for certain systems has fallen off sharply. I should probably get some more 5200 homebrew from right here. I should also get some more stuff that takes advantage of the SGM for the ColecoVison. I keep eyeballing the XEGS... maybe if I see a good deal sometime. Still would like to finish off my 5200 and SMS US collection, but I'm down to the ridiculously expensive games for both. Other than that, I will just keep buying cool games that I get hipped to.

• Like 2

It's harder every year to answer a question like this. I've bought and sold so many portions of my collection there's not much I haven't tried that I've really wanted. Having said that there are a few items I'd like to pick up in 2020

A harmony encore cart

The TG-16 mini

2600 adapter cart for the Collectorvision Phoenix that hopefully gets released

Possibly the Amico depending how it turns out

A 64k Coco 2 and a Coco SDC (hoping that the value of the Videotex I picked up can cover that)

Atari 2600 or 7800 homebrews 

Maybe a Switch

Other than that I'm open to the world of discovery that unexpected retro gaming may have in store for me in 2020

• Like 1

It's tough to look a year out. But.. I would guess I'm continuing to downsize my Apple II stuff. Focusing on what I had as a kid. And building documentation, both real physical manuals and pdf scans. With emphasis on Apple published material.

My pocket computer stuff is rather complete. As is my TI-59 material. I suppose I'll pick up some select spare parts here and there for everything I currently own. But make no mistake, emphasis is firmly on downsizing and eliminating useless fluff. More things will be going out than coming in.

---

I had so many good times reading and discussing those Apple manuals with my grade-school buddies and such. Often on rainy nights into the early AM hours while downloading WaReZ at 300 baud. Or cozied up in bed with the windows open and cold fog blowing around out there. Even bought them to hi-school study hall. Definitely more fun than the required Greek Mythology. I was interested in my own methodology and developing DOS hacks that would calculate remaining free space on a disk and so on. So to read them again is pure retrobliss!

Going back and forth between The DOS Manual and Applesoft Tutorial and astronomy books was like an adventure on two fronts. One leading inward, and the other one outward. Great fun discussing how to hook up the MicroModem to a homemade dish antenna with amps and pre-amps from the RadioShack down the street. And when we did it we saw random characters pop up as the modem swept through the glitches. A homegrown SETI program that was eerily spooky. We got scared and turned it off thinking the FBI would come after us. Even hid some of the electronics behind the bookcase and under the desk.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For the curious:

2019 thread

2018 thread

2017 thread

2016 thread

I have managed, this year, to 'complete' my retro console collection. I bought a modded PC Engine Duo. I bought a Vectrex. I bought an original Gameboy & a backlit-mod GBA. I'm basically good. I mean, I kinda want a 32X & a famicom disc system, but these are not things I have space for, and the amount of games I want cannot justify the cost. It's nothing I dream about having.

But, this year it's time to look to the FUTURE! We have a new console generation about to begin! We have niche machines with both indie & retro flair coming to market! We must be READY! That's focus one for 2020- just making tweaks to the setup to accommodate new arrivals in 2020 & 2021, and saving up money to pay for them. I've already got cash set aside to cover the Playdate (which is an easy fit into any collection) and the Amico (which will be harder to work in, but doesn't seem to difficult to figure out).

I'm pulling away from the games themselves for awhile to focus on storage options. I recently discovered the bins I use for most of my handheld carts, when a couple of the dividers are removed, are perfect for Famicom & SNES (I seriously love these bins!), so I need to find more of those. I also need to do some examining of my shelving & my fiancé's shelving- the ones in question are all Billy cases from IKEA, but mine are the older run & 'not compatible' with the newer shelves. Trick is, I need to add new peg holes to make things work anyway, so I need to assess how hackable my setup is or if I'd be better off just replacing everything. I need to see if I can cut back the craft bin to a shorter one so I can change out the table it's under for one with a shelf. I need to see if I can relocate my handheld cabinet. Lots of storage tweaking.

Aside from that- save, save, save! Save for new consoles releasing holiday, so when the games come I'm ready. Save for summer con season when I buy the pricey games. Save for all the above furniture & storage changes.

Also- play, play, play! The games I've actually finished are mostly Switch indies this year, but I've spent more time actively on my systems, and it's lovely. I've discovered I have a soft spot for Compile's output, for example. I'm gonna have to DYI a Blue Lander something-or-other for my con bag.

If the money & time allows for it, I would like to start getting some maintenance work done on my machines as well. My channel F still has a broken button. My Sega CD makes grinding noises. The Xbox started turning itself on & off (that's been fixed already.) I've picked up all the old systems I want, time to keep them all running!

I'm aiming to get a ps4. I would also say I'd get an xbox one but the chances are I'd buy all the disk exclusives (think it's about 6) and only have them as a laugh. 

Proper retro wise, I would probably like to collect remaining pal carts for 2nd gen. This includes backgammon for the 1292, morse if I can get it for videopac (have a repro so I'm not desperate to pay an extra £100 for it). And start to tidy up my intellivision collection by getting any remaining cheaper games. Colecovision will take a bit longer but it'll be nice to have another half dozen games by 2021.

Atari 2600 I'm still trying to work out a full UK release list, but I know I don't have much left. Fairchild.. 3 more, but I doubt checkers will be one I get next year. 

For 2020, I need to come up with a solution for my older consoles in the game room. I'm running a 42" Panasonic 1080p plasma TV in there, so I've been wanting an upscaler/line doubler like the Retrotink 2X to solve that problem. If I had room, I'd run a CRT in there as well, but I don't.

Other than that, I'm focusing on filling holes in the collection and playing the games I have. I wouldn't mind picking up a 32X, one of those new full size C64's, and maybe a Lynx if I come across those.

I’m done collecting for any other system besides the 2600, and that’s only Homebrews mostly. I play all of my games on the Encore now days, so I rarely buy vintage carts. Mainly I’m looking forward to Gorf and Zoo Keeper by champ games. I’m also keenly interested in the Boulder Dash 2600 re release. As for retro hardware I’d like to pick up the Quadtari when it is available.

As far as hardware goes, the number of machines I want is drying down fast.

The machine I dearly want to find :

- Intellivision SCART RGB model

- Yamaha YIS503IIIR КУВТ 2 (a MSX2 Computer made by Yamaha for the Soviet Computer Education program)

kompyuter-yamaha-yis-503iiir-kubt2-msx-n

- Everdrives!

Many games are expensive, and the more I look for games the more I feel they are weighting my budget down.

Now if I run across cheap games I'll still get them, but you know... Better have only fewer physical games, saving myself money and space, and leave them for others!

The most desirable Everdrive I'd want for this next year would be for Nintendo systems. NES and SNES (this one especially is an expensive, chunky part).

More into "hardware completion" :

- Getting my blue Game Gear modded with a McWill screen or equivalent.

- Getting an universal BIOS for my Mega-CD.

- Getting my PC-Engine RGB modded.

- Finding a keyboard and mouse for that Mac Plus I got (it's not ADB connection but proprietary Mac stuff. The mouse I may hack because it's a DB9, but the keyboard is electronically incompatible with ADB or PS2, so you need an active adapter or the original deal)

- Finishing my RGB mod on my N64 FRA (I bough a kit that was later made famous for using wrong parts...)

- Ditching the antenna connector for RGB or composite on my HMG 7900 and my Advision Home Arcade (Arcadia 2001) systems.

Well that's already a long list that no one will really read so... If I get everything doen by 2021 I'd be VERY happy!

Especially considering I will probably move in a new house soon so I'll have more room to make myself a gaming room, and that alone will probably eat a good load of the time and money for doing it.

• Like 1

I pretty much have what I want with Genesis, NES,7800 and 2600 official releases. Of course, I'm open to buying something that's cheap and interesting, but those days don't come but to often. I either have the game I want already or I'm priced out of the market. 

Lately I'm enjoying Homebrew games.  I'm considering picking up a bunch of 7800 homebrew titles.  Froggie, q-bert and burger-time, come to mind. Sadly, I'm so cheap that I'm waiting for a free shipping deal, LOL.  I'm also hoping for some more Genesis Homebrew titles show up, I love Xeno Crisis.  And games like Ultracore (stupid limited games release), Wolfenstein and Cave Story, make it fun to watch development of new stuff.

I'm also gearing up and researching for good PS4 games.  The library is getting cheaper and cheaper and I'm going to pick up some titles this year.   

If course, I'm game for whatever shiny new retro gimmick/toy shows up.  Maybe, the fpga unit to end them all.  

Edited by homerhomer

21 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'd like to find some way to move my 5200 stuff, and my ColecoVision stuff on, and turn it into/trade for PC Engine stuff. I've got my 7800 and my XE, I just don't need the 5200. And for whatever reason, Colecovision never "hit" right with me.

Surprised to hear ColecoVision didn't hit well with someone. I consider it early enough or vintage enough and that it was of a time when anything new was worth having by default. In the late 70's and very early 80's any new console was worth owning.

When it comes to Atari 8-bit stuff, a computer or two is all that's needed. The 5200 and XEGS are redundant. anything they do, the 8-bit computer can do. And more.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Keatah said:

Surprised to hear ColecoVision didn't hit well with someone. I consider it early enough or vintage enough and that it was of a time when anything new was worth having by default. In the late 70's and very early 80's any new console was worth owning.

When it comes to Atari 8-bit stuff, a computer or two is all that's needed. The 5200 and XEGS are redundant. anything they do, the 8-bit computer can do. And more.

I never had a Colecovision as a kid. Even with better control options (I have a great Edladdin converter for Sega stuff) I kept feeling I could get most of the games experience elsewhere and nothing was really a wow for me.  Wish I had realized that feeling before I got an SGM and a few games. If I am not going to play it, may as well move it on. So who's got a PC Engine LT or a PC Engine Monitor they want to trade???? I could throw in my Intellivison II!  XD

I have an XE with the keyboard, so I do have an 8 bit computer.

5 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

Yes, the XEGS has a SIO port like any other Atari 8-bit computer and some of the same RAM upgrades for the XL and XE will work with the XEGS as well.

Well, then, that's good. All you need for 99% 8-bit coverage is a drive, enough memory, and perhaps a flashcart or similar solution. Throw in a video mod (if that's your kinda thing) and set-up Altirra on the side for miscellaneous work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keatah said:

Can you upgrade the memory and do a disk drive?

Didn't do upgrades as a kid but I can still recall the noise of that 1050 disk drive grindin'!!! I'd have gotten a  more "proper" Atari 8 bit computer  (think I have an 800 somewhere with some issues) but the XEGS was my childhood machine.

• Like 1