IGNORED

Atari Video Test Centre ad

Joey Kay

Skill testing question - it's driving me bonkers.

At 24 seconds into this ad, just as the Fygar breathes fire on the Dig Dug track playing throughout this ad, there is a sound effect for a video game - it's a horn-like sound- that I do not recognise.

Any idea what game that sound comes from?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Stephen said:

LOL - what an awful commercial.  Sorry - I also do not recognize that particular sound.

While I wouldn't say it's awful (close though...lol), having a Wink Martindale reject speaking with a bunch of 'ordinary' kids sitting inside a lab room playing games, as opposed to a bunch of 'cool' kids walking through a ship that looked like it came from Aliens, Nintendo clearly had marketing of the NES excellently covered, while Atari was dropping the ball yet again for the 7800:

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, Stephen said:

LOL - what an awful commercial.  Sorry - I also do not recognize that particular sound.

Atari meant well. Trying to pick up the pieces after: The video game crash, the 7800 not being released in 1984 as a result of the crash, the failed attempt of Atari to sell the Famicon (as I recall incorrectly?), then releasing it finally in 1986 after Tramiel bought the company and split the divisions...  The 7800 still needed a dedicated updated sound chip (POKEY was pretty robust as a replacement, making it in-cartridge was the mistake... of course few if anybody would use it.)

Tramiel was a blessing and a curse at the same time - he'd ditch the supremely designed Atari Falcon computer in favor of rushing the ill-designed and prematrurely-conceived Jaguar (64-bit consoles that played worse than all the existing 32-bit consoles... )  Ah, the 1990s, when bit count was both everything and nothing at the same time. As well as "super game cartridge", which (to my current understanding) was "super" only because of the size of the ROM chips inside?

Edited by CommodoreDecker
  • Like 1