IGNORED

What Sega game would you dream up and for which console?

seastalker

Hopefully this will be less of a wish list thread and more of a vision with what is possible.  Of course coders can create anything I suppose, but what about engines and the like. I dream of a day when an average Joe can have a 'Super Mario Maker' level of ease with simple engines and tools to make a game for any system they wanted. If they told a great story we could breathe new life into older consoles.

A GREAT example of this is the Alex Kidd sequels and demos made with the tool, KiddEd. This Sega mascot, I couldn't get enough of and hope Sega brings him back. Is anyone else wanting a Golvellius-Ed program to be a thing so we can finally have the sequel Sega teased us with decades ago? Maybe ports of the MSX versions can be used to make a 'sequel' if not. I will probably see the day Mel Brooks makes "History of the World: Part II" first.

So, I have a great idea for a perfectly doable Sega CD game, being the perfect platform!!  What about Zillion 3??  Zillion 1 and 2 for the Sega Master System vary greatly in gameplay and style. To me, this series is grossly underrated and have dreamed of a sequel(s) for decades. The Sega CD has FMV games that are cool, compressed versions of arcade laserdisc games you play in Daphne. Zillion has a great anime and the music from the Sega games was taken from the soundtrack. The show even has Sega's then mascot OPA-OPA in the anime!! So, if you remember reflex and memorization Daphne/laserdisc games like Cliff Hanger and Road Avenger compressed on Sega CD, if NOTHING else, I'd bet a Sega CD Zillion 3 would be amazing! All one would need is to take scenes from the anime and use the opening/closing credit music and you'd have a FMV game of reflexes.  If one were ambitious, MD+ versions of Zillion 1 and 2 could work with redbook audio... even Opa Opa could get a stage using pre-existing games, or M2's creation of a never before existing System 16 arcade game Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa could work.  If 'Cliff Hanger' got a remaster using Lupin Blurays, maybe this Zillion 3 for Sega CD is possible from the anime.

Finally, when I was working on my ideal personal tweak of MD+ Moonwalker, I saw a broken link to what I think was a MD+ version of Sonic 3 with MJ's original music mixed in. Does anyone have a non-broken link so I can explore this one?

Of course I agree being the OP voice, but to add to the idea, I was messing with the entire light gun library for the SMS the other night. Some titles are very hard, regardless of my distance to the screen. The library is slim, and I thought about what a lost opportunity for Sega.  The SMS light phaser were the same as the ones used in the anime. The name 'Zillion' is actually the name for the guns they used.  Sure, the zillion gun features as your weapon in both games, but I'm surprised there was no 3rd SMS installment of Zillion that actually incorporated the Sega light phaser as a controller.  In the anime the three worked as a team (regrettably called 'The White Nuts'), so I could see a 2 player co-op game where one player uses the light phaser and the other a SMS controller.  I could also see a double light phaser game called "Zillion 3: The Gun." I envision a game a little like Space Gun with stages set around Japan, both in cites and the anime's rocky terrain on their ATVs (like what you ride in Zillion 2). 

dj_convoy, how would you see this?  I also really like the Sega CD idea with FMV. Could be like Mad Dog McCree, but maybe just for cut scenes like The Terminator or Sonic CD? The anime has so much to it that could be used to make a retro game.

Govellius would be AMAZING as a remake like Wonder Boy got where you can toggle between the classic look and a modern one. Creating this with a brand new sequel could be a hit on the same platforms Wonder Boy released on.  I'd give it the Y's treatment and call it "Govellius: Book 1 and 2" 

As for the MD+ version of Sonic 3, it is actually the game of Moonwalker but with Sonic 3 music. Nice to have the option, but no replacement for the MJ vocal tracks in my opinion. 

Panzer Dragoon Saga had it been moved to the Dreamcast instead of staying on the Saturn. It was never going to happen, they allowed Shenmue to move over but PDS was already at the tail end of its development cycle and Sega wanted something to look like competition for FF7 on the playstation. That and the amount of money already pumped into it.

There is a lot of things that it could have benefited from by doing this:

480p

Probably would have got a "remaster" by now

Would have been even better looking than it did

Transparencies!?!?!?!?!

Bigger market. Ok, the truth is that dreamcast was a commercial mess, and the saturn while behind at least made a fair profit. But it might have been a further nail in cementing some success for the dreamcast, rather than pleasing us saturn owners at the time with a beautiful game like a loyalty scheme, where few people were ever going to cash in.

Its too late now though, even if code hadn't been lost for any kind of remaster, a from the ground up remake would have to be expected. I would love to be on a team that remade PDS for any console, probably the switch would have been the only choice (see PD1 and 2 remakes being made) but it deserves to be fleshed out, triple the content and be a full blown console experience. Will never happen though.

• Like 1

Agree with all you said about Panzer Dragoon. At least with MD+, the end user can create some of these ideas, if Sega doesn't.  Panzer Dragoon as a Sega Cd/32x combo game would be great, but I know nothing about how one would do this.

Though what WOULD be great is a MD+ version of Ghostbusters with the 80s-tastic soundtrack. The diamond being Ray Parker Jr.'s theme but I've loved the entire soundtrack for decades! Songs like Savin' the Day, Cleanin' Up the Town... Laura Branigan rocking out on Hot Night for the fire themed stages. Dana's Theme in the ice stages.  The Thompson Twins's song In the Name of Love when you play as Bill Murray, the song Magic when playing as Harold Ramis. The intercuts could continue to use the instrumental version of the Ghostbusters theme and save the vocal version for the bosses and end credits (or Savin' The Day for the ending).

Now if only I can figure out the gobblety-gook written in the MegaSd's MD+ manual.

Shining Force 4, or Shining Force 3 (all 3 scenarios) remaster for modern consoles. It's great on the Saturn (and I have burned copies of translated scenarios 2 and 3) but I'd love Sega bring back the franchise with HD graphics. Shining Force Neo was not a turn-based strategy RPG. Good game in its own right, but not really what I wanted. I've never really gotten into the other Shining games, but the gameplay of the Shining Force games are what drew me in. 

They're already doing Streets of Rage 4. I just hope it's closer to SoR2 than it is 3. The fighting in #3 just feels a little "off" to me, and some of the bosses are unfair cheesy. Those twins at the end of the dance club in the bar are just horrible to even get to. Way overpowered. 

I'd also love Sonic Mania 2 and a brand new Crazy Taxi. :D

I've played through Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force and soon to start by going through them in order.  I have to see if Shining Force CD is the same game but with cd soundtrack.  Looking through Smokemonster's Everdrive game lists is a good way to get ideas which titles could have CD soundtracks brought in.  Look under Game Series Collections/Franchise and you will see what I mean:   

I can see the TMNT games getting arcade music and sound effect upgrades,

The original Batman's music is already great, but the Tim Burton film's OST would be interesting.

Disney games a' plenty: Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, Lion King.  I wonder how Castle of Illusion would sound with the Fantasia soundtrack??  (read on)

Under movie based, many are subjective based on how badly you like a film OST.  I don't know if adding the Wayne's World theme is worth it, though I think the Terminator games would be great with Brad Fidel's music in particular. 

Fantasia is known for it's soundtrack so using the game rom of Fantasia with the soundtrack makes more sense than Castle/World of Illusion.  I'm in the minority that has nostalgia for Back To The Future III on the Genesis - that might be fun with the OST too.

Can MD+ be used to make compilation games?  Imagine hacking 6-Pak to make a complete Phantasy Star collection of 1-4, with part 1's various translations, and the GG and the Phantasy Star II Text Adventures. That would make for one repro cart.

dj_convoy, as a Govellius fan, if you have a MiSTer, you may want to fire up the MSX core and play [MSX 2, MSX 2+ TAS Longplay 35] Super Cooks. Though not a sequel, it is a spin-off game withe some of the same sprites like the lady in the cave shops. The game is in English too! I only just discovered this and have yet to play it.  It may be different characters and story in the same world, like how Super Mario Brothers 2 was developed from the Japanese game Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.

• Like 1

The Zillion anime, honestly, is pretty generic (albeit with a fantastic theme song). You could do an FMV game, sure! I just don't know if it would be much of a draw for anyone other than the most hardcore Zillion fan. I certainly wouldn't scoff at a Light Phaser game, either (and yeah, it's a shame one was never developed when Zillion was an ongoing concern). Personally, I'd rather see another game more in the Impossible Mission mood of the first, mixed with more action. Make it a "metroidvania" like the kids say these days.

I have an MSX emulator on my main computer, I believe. I know of Super Cooks (I'm a dork for Compile stuff), but I'm not sure if I've ever spent any time with it. I have mostly just played the various Aleste games and stuff like Space Manbow. If a new Govellius game were to be made, it'd have to have that certain quirky, nearly indefinable charm. I'd like to see a return to the multiple play styles (so dungeon crawler, side scrolling platforms and vertical scroller), but you'd need some kind of clever twist. 

M2 is working on a new Aleste game (yes!), but after that, I'd love them to take a stab at a new Thunder Force.

Sonic Mania 2 with much more original content would certainly be welcome. I'm never going to fully like 3d Sonic games, even the "good" ones.

Speaking of M2, I had heard good things about the documentary that My Life In Gaming did on them, but for whatever reason, I waiting to watch it, I guess knowing little about them before the name popped up with the Sega Genesis Mini. It is WELL WORTH WATCHING! I'd suggest it to anyone, even those with little interest in video games at all but like business. I love documentaries on Amiga, and enjoyed Get Lamp and ones on pinball.  The M2 video is one of My Life In Gaming's best ever.

I like your zillion 'metroidvania' idea. Zillion always 'got' me as a sega game, and the vhs tapes I was always swayed away from renting at my local video store because I was told they weren't in English. I always wanted to see the tapes and in recent years watched the whole anime and ova.  I know some great shots and scenes that would work.  Maybe if I figure out how to do it, I might try to make it.

I'm looking at Sega peripherals and chuckled at the Sega Sports pad. I remember it well from ads of the day but laughed that it only had three games that support it.  I also didn't know that Great Hockey REQUIRED it to play.  Maybe that is a good contender for a rom hack that allows for standard control pad play.  Maybe other SMS or Genesis games can be hacked to give new life to the peripheral. Marble Madness is on both consoles and would be perhaps the first to prioritize.  I may see if my USB Kensington trackball and spinner will work on the MiSTer to play these games.

Slightly off topic, but for SMS paddle controllers, would an Atari paddle or driving controller work on real Sega hardware?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seastalker said:

I have to see if Shining Force CD is the same game but with cd soundtrack. 

Shining Force CD is a compilation of two Game Gear titles - Shining Force Gaiden (never released outside Japan otherwise) and Shining Force - Sword of Hajyia, which did get a US release. If you complete both of those, a third (new) scenario opens up, and if you complete that there's a fourth with a huge, difficult boss fight. It's well worth playing on its own. The two Shining Force Gaiden games take place around 20 years after the original, many years before Shining Force II. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

The Zillion anime, honestly, is pretty generic (albeit with a fantastic theme song). You could do an FMV game, sure! I just don't know if it would be much of a draw for anyone other than the most hardcore Zillion fan. I certainly wouldn't scoff at a Light Phaser game, either (and yeah, it's a shame one was never developed when Zillion was an ongoing concern). Personally, I'd rather see another game more in the Impossible Mission mood of the first, mixed with more action. Make it a "metroidvania" like the kids say these days.

I have an MSX emulator on my main computer, I believe. I know of Super Cooks (I'm a dork for Compile stuff), but I'm not sure if I've ever spent any time with it. I have mostly just played the various Aleste games and stuff like Space Manbow. If a new Govellius game were to be made, it'd have to have that certain quirky, nearly indefinable charm. I'd like to see a return to the multiple play styles (so dungeon crawler, side scrolling platforms and vertical scroller), but you'd need some kind of clever twist. 

M2 is working on a new Aleste game (yes!), but after that, I'd love them to take a stab at a new Thunder Force.

Sonic Mania 2 with much more original content would certainly be welcome. I'm never going to fully like 3d Sonic games, even the "good" ones.

There's going to be a new Aleste game? I NEED THIS.

• Like 1

It's gonna be called Aleste Branch, all new and made by M2. I'm hopeful there will be some kinda crazy compilation from M2 (in a just and beautiful world, it would be called a COMPILE-ation) of all of the Aleste games and stuff like Xanac and Spriggan and Blazin Lasers thrown in. I believe I read that M2 owns Aleste now, flat out, but it may just be they own rights to make a new game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seastalker said:

Speaking of M2, I had heard good things about the documentary that My Life In Gaming did on them, but for whatever reason, I waiting to watch it, I guess knowing little about them before the name popped up with the Sega Genesis Mini. It is WELL WORTH WATCHING! I'd suggest it to anyone, even those with little interest in video games at all but like business. I love documentaries on Amiga, and enjoyed Get Lamp and ones on pinball.  The M2 video is one of My Life In Gaming's best ever.

I like your zillion 'metroidvania' idea. Zillion always 'got' me as a sega game, and the vhs tapes I was always swayed away from renting at my local video store because I was told they weren't in English. I always wanted to see the tapes and in recent years watched the whole anime and ova.  I know some great shots and scenes that would work.  Maybe if I figure out how to do it, I might try to make it.

I'm looking at Sega peripherals and chuckled at the Sega Sports pad. I remember it well from ads of the day but laughed that it only had three games that support it.  I also didn't know that Great Hockey REQUIRED it to play.  Maybe that is a good contender for a rom hack that allows for standard control pad play.  Maybe other SMS or Genesis games can be hacked to give new life to the peripheral. Marble Madness is on both consoles and would be perhaps the first to prioritize.  I may see if my USB Kensington trackball and spinner will work on the MiSTer to play these games.

Slightly off topic, but for SMS paddle controllers, would an Atari paddle or driving controller work on real Sega hardware?

I know next to nothing about electronics, but my guess would be no, as the SEGA paddle is more complicated internally than an Atari paddle.

Fun topic!

Suzuki 3d Maker for the Switch. This would be a Mario Maker clone that allowed the user to make there own 3d racing and flying games.  It would have basic templates that includes outrun, afterburner and space harrier.

Streets of Rage/street fighter II clone on the Genesis. There's enough characters and locations.  The music could be remixed.  I think this would be pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

It's gonna be called Aleste Branch, all new and made by M2. I'm hopeful there will be some kinda crazy compilation from M2 (in a just and beautiful world, it would be called a COMPILE-ation) of all of the Aleste games and stuff like Xanac and Spriggan and Blazin Lasers thrown in. I believe I read that M2 owns Aleste now, flat out, but it may just be they own rights to make a new game.

Don't forget Gun-Nac! It my favorite NES game... Oh and BTW it's Zanac not Xanac...