IGNORED

Totally dead 1050...Help!

Mclaneinc

Excellent, will get a couple of those added to my order if they can do that...

All you guys are lovely people, I hope it works after all this help :)

Oh, new issue, the tandon mech that was in the drive with issues, I tried it on another machine and it was doing a head rattle after seeking and then it stopped and the actually disk spinning motor just kept starting up and stopping. Now I'm sure someone posted about the same thing but my searching Kung Fu skills are letting me down. Does anyone remember what the issue was, I seem to remember a track zero sensor being mentioned but my memory is as flaky as my drive :)

Found the sensor on Best but I dread to think what the 15 dollar sensor will end up costing to the UK..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just I'm clear here Bill, are you talking about the bigger set of diodes at the back left as per the 1N5401, if yes then I'd not really given them any thought, I only thought of those two between the cans and does that mean the 1n4001 are ok for the two between the cans?

Sorry, just want to order the right stuff :)

And I really appreciate the help!!!

For some reason I was thinking 810 even though this discussion is about the 1050.

The large rectifier diodes(CR17-20) are back by the power jack/SIO port.

The 2 between the large capacitors are CR15/CR16(the voltage doubler circuit), the 1050FSM doesn't have them in the parts list for some reason but the 810 does use 1n4001 for this purpose and the Sams ComputerFacts Manual for the 1050 lists the 1n5392.

Hi,

I think the motor spinning up then stopping, spinning up then stopping, etc., is the 1050's way of saying it failed its POST. I'm not sure why this would happen, have you plugged in all the connectors the right way? Also, you might have gotten unlucky and damaged one of the chips through static, etc., but I would try the connectors first.

Edited by E474

1 hour ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I think the motor spinning up then stopping, spinning up then stopping, etc., is the 1050's way of saying it failed its POST. I'm not sure why this would happen, have you plugged in all the connectors the right way? Also, you might have gotten unlucky and damaged one of the chips through static, etc., but I would try the connectors first.

OP's issue is the drive has no 5V power at all, not even lighting the LED. 7805 regulator is dumping lots of heat to the heatsink, incicating a short after the 5V regulator output. POST failure symptoms are much further down the troubleshooting list. :)

Yes, the mech from the dodgy drive was tested on a known working pcb...Didn't do the normal search and park, just the head rattling and the disk motor going on and off.

Thank you for the replacement track zero sensor link TGB1718...That, if needed will save the cash, in truth I'd like to use best to support him but the cost is horrendous and that matters.

When the components arrive I'll get them installed and see where I stand.

Cheers guys..

On 12/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Didn't know where the TP's where so googled, nowt out on either TP, will order a 7812 and a 7805 and the cap you mention...

Ta guys..More when things have been replaced..

Sorry, what is the value of C70, I think its 47uf 16v but its got a mark on it.

Also is it worth getting a TIP110 as its all on the same sink...?

Remember, I'm not electronically skilled as if it wasn't obvious enough, its been a long time since I did anything much more that checking continuity, so bare with me..I can recognise components, read resistor values and stuff like that but building kits is painting by numbers for me and I knew orientation of components, things like the 48K upgrades were easy because it was detailed out but electronic theory etc is not something I learned..

Should have already left but wanted to pass back as much info as possible, didn't check the switch because the board gets hot only when the switch is on so presumed it was working..

Oh oh, wife looking at me with that "you are in trouble" look...I'm orf..

You don't need skill cause you have balls!! and with the help of all these good & smart guys & gals here, You'll have it working in no time flat!! Cheers!!

18 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Nothing new to report as my order has still not been sent by Cricklewood Electronics...Don't you hate seeing 'Processed' instead of picked and sent..

Knew I should have driven there...

Just like the Ebay one "Your order is BEING posted" , key word BEING !!!

Yep, got an Fleabay one that says its posted but when you look at the track its not even made it to the Royal Mail distribution centre..Due Monday, very unlikely!!

My components ARE on the way, got an email...Time to get the iron out, steady my old fingers and get my glasses on :)