IGNORED

New Adventure II demo to try out

Cafeman

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...Adventure2.html

You can find it there!

I estimate the game is about 40% done. This demo is not really the most current build because I have a flickering / sprite player re-use routine that isn't complete and it gets glitchy. In this demo, you only can have one "object" each time you play, but said object does accomplish its purpose. Dragon will kill you, you can kill it IF you locate the sword and if the sword in in the current game you are playing.

EDIT: Also, if the dragon touches you, he will chase you unless you return to the Seashore Castle screen. The dragon will not appear in the hedge maze unless he chases you there.

Anyway, regardless of which of the 3 possible items get assigned randomly, each will accomplish its purpose -- the gold key, the bridge sprite, or the sword. The sword does not have its "handle" yet because that is a missile and I haven't put those in yet.

For the upcoming AGE and CGE shows, the game will have an even bigger area to explore and mulitple sprites per screen

(_)3

Another thing I neglected to mention is that you can cross over logs that block off a section of the screen. You can get between the logs that are aligned vertically -- you might have to go up & down to fight it a few times or to align yourself just right, but you CAN do it. Thus, if you see any object in this demo and think you can't get to it, think again.

As the game gets progressed further though, you will need the bridge at times to get to an object.

(_)3

@Heaven/TQA: sounds and music are the enjoyable part of coding the game, and I haven't earned that yet. I'm still trying to optimize sprites, Display Lists, etc. Soon.

P.S. There is no "v" in "Cafeman". :P

@Raijin Z: not true. Atari800win is nearly perfect, and VSS is very close as well (and faster/brighter).

Complete and utter coolness! What beautiful graphics!

A couple questions:

Will the fountains serve a gameplay function or are they there for scenery/landmarks?

Is the magic bridge object in this demo? I haven't found it yet, even after restarting several times. I have found the key and the sword, though.

Also, those dragons seem pretty smart! After biting me, they'll follow me even when I'm a couple screens away! I think I have been able to lose them, though.

Bob, the Bridge is one of the 3 items you might get.

Concerning the fountains, a bit of history. Originally we were going to have Gold as an inventoried item. You wouldn't buy things, but if you had Gold then the Troll would always take that instead of your carried item. I was going to have you use the sword to smash the fountain and get Gold. However, the Gold concept was eliminated. I liked the look of the fountains very much (and they will be animated in the next demo) so I kept them there.

Hi there!

I liked the look of the fountains very much (and they will be animated in the next demo) so I kept them there.

Hehe, when I first spotted them, I thought wether the project is sponsored by McDonalds now :wink:

Animation sounds cool. I think animating the water tiles would be cool too.

But the actual reason I'm writing is, that I never ever get to download anything from your page. I ususally end up asking Thomas to do that for me...

I attached a screenshot from the bug. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's all I ever get from your page and the *rest* of the internet seems to work just fine for me... :twisted:

Greetings,

Manuel

error.jpg

But the actual reason I'm writing is, that I never ever get to download anything from your page. I ususally end up asking Thomas to do that for me...

I see you're using Opera. Are you overriding the HTTP Referrer (I don't know if Opera allows you to do this)? If you are, that is probably why you're having problems. Otherwise I suggest using a better browser like Mozilla. ;) Or at least trying another browser to see if the problem is independent of your browser.

..Al

Hi there!

I see you're using Opera.  Are you overriding the HTTP Referrer (I don't know if Opera allows you to do this)?  If you are, that is probably why you're having problems.

I just checked a checkbox which'd probably translate into "Transmit Referrer" and now it works... hm... what is this Referrer thing doing?

(Or in other words, will transmitting the referrer cause other troubles now? :ponder: )

Otherwise I suggest using a better browser like Mozilla.

Tsk, tsk. Nothing is better than Opera! :wink:

Greetings,

Manuel

The demo is looking awesome! I was wondering if the fountains would be animated. Now that you plan to...that will look beautiful! Also I am not sure why Cybergoth asked about the water tiles...they are animated for me.

My question is...I am using Atari800win. And I cannot get any of the objects to actually pick up? I run over them...nothing..they stay in place...I try to run over them while picking up a button..nothin...I try standing on the item and pressing all buttons...nothing. Is there something I am doing wrong?

:?

Archived