IGNORED

Considering a 5200 system

Wayne2072

On 3/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, Hwlngmad said:

I owned an Atari 5200 and I gotta say it was a good system.  If you are wanting to get into it from a collecting aspect, it is great and really not terribly difficult to get a (near) full set.  That being said, you would probably be better off getting an Atari 8-bit computer overall, such as an 800 or 800 XL.  They have a lot more games and you will avoid the whole controller issue that the 5200 comes with.  Either way, best of luck!

I have owned 5200 units since I got my first for my 17th Birthday back in 1983 and someway somehow, whenever I'm falling in love with either my 2600, 7800, or XEGS it seems like I always seem to fall back to "Big Sexy" (our nickname for the 5200 because of her size and looks). One you get used to the analog controls on her she is a great unit, if you want I can certainly set you up (once you get that coveted Atarimax SD cart) with a whole package of ROMs for her for you to play on her, but if you're gonna be a purist, like I used to be, I suggest you save some (more dough) and get some carts too.

Most recently there have been many new conversions and homebrews that have come out for the 5200, for example if you like Yars' Revenge but don't want to settle for a 2600 well Paul Lay (playsoft) converted the 8-bit port of it, called Yar's Strike, if you like Star Castle, then there's Star Island (he ported it too), and there are SO many many more!!! .....and even that aborted port of 5200 Asteroids (in which WAS going to be the pack-in game before they decided on Super Breakout, in which is under appreciated to say the least as it is a good game in itself) is somewhat playable even though the controls are a bit too sensitive, and yes, who doesn't want to play Tempest, ONLY ON THE 5200 and available through the AtariAge store right now!!!

But for best compatibility I suggest you get a 2-port for its standard RF cord and also see if you can get one with a 4-port BIOS in it, there are some units that have them (I have one currently have one) otherwise Pitfall!, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shoot-Out might not work (I DO have the 2-port hacks of them in case you don't luck out but I also have the 4-port ones too.)

On 1/2/2020 at 6:31 PM, Wayne2072 said:

I am considering picking up a 5200 system.    I've checked out screenshots, and have emulated a few games.  I have to admit, the arcade quality video and sound is impressive for a system from that time.   I wish that things could have been different for the Atari 5200 (not released so close to the crash, had better controllers, etc.).  Still, it has a nice library, and more games are being produced even today.

There are a ton of consoles on eBay, but I would want to make sure it's one that is definitely operational.   There are some which have AV mods and rebuilt controllers.   However, I've read some threads that "rebuilt" doesn't necessarily mean much, in terms of the controllers on eBay.   I'd probably be better off either buying the Best Electronics ones outright, or sending Best the ones that I get from a system on eBay.    From what I've read, it sounds like Best does an incredible job with the controllers.   Anything else I should consider?   A TrakBall, certainly.   Atarimax cart, definitely!  Some of the Homebrews in the AA store?  Absolutely.    Anything about the system itself?  2 port or 4 port?   Can I trust the AV mods on eBay?  Or, would I be better off just getting a system with no mods but works?  

I'd appreciate any insight from those of you who have faced this same decision in the past. 

I have an AV modded 5200; it works without any problem (with exception of Pitfall and Mountain King, due to other factors).

As to controllers: I’ve gotten the best overall result from using the Wico-Command stick with a socalled Y-split-cable: it’s both analog so can play many 3D games, but fast enough to move to play games like Mr Do’s castle and Pengo at least decently.

No experience with Trackball, but heard their quality.

Missile Command is very well made.

I’ve gotten an AtariMax or similar here; does the job, no problems.

As to Homebrews, need more of these, but you should really get games like Super PacMan, PacMan Jr. and a ton of games ported from the Atari 8-bit family (check ‘Good Deal Games’), including the very well-made Last Starfighter.

System: 2 port is easier to hook up to

a common ntsc CRT TV, you just need a little metal-piece as in-between.

AVs on eBay:

Look for sellers with high score/good reputation, and things that looks classy on the presention-images.

Don’t buy from people saying stuff like ‘what you see is what you get’.

If you have a good, working CRT TV (ntsc), that will do fine with a common 2 port system.

Edited by Giles N

If you don't want to go on a scavenger hunt through Goodwill after Goodwill after Goodwill looking for a CRT, you may want to give your current HDTV a shot, only with THIS (please do visit the description in the video as to how you can acquire one of your own as well as the RCA-to-PAL adapter you're gonna need for your new 5200 (2-port version only) to work on her), I use it and it does a terrific job of adapting my 5200 (and my other gaming systems) to an HDMI input on my home entertainment system, true it won't give your 5200 a stunning 4K Ultra HD picture but it will allow Big Sexy to work an HDTV with no problems, even though most modern HDTVs only so digital TV tuning and only have HDMI inputs on it, this will be just what the doctor ordered, so watch the video down below.

BTW this video also serves as a tutorial on how to use this particular device once you do get it including how to get it off of its default onscreen Chinese menu into English, this box has TONS of features on her and you may want to give her a try. It does the same thing (and more) as the tuner on a VCR only without the VCR and also with an HDMI output on it. I'm sure you'll love it to bits.