IGNORED

Atari 400/800 article at fastcompany.com

Sure glad it got one!  One Xmas morning, a good friend (now passed away) called me up and said he got this Atari 400 computer thing...

Sparked what was going to be a lot of damn good times.  We played it often, one person on keyboard, one on joystick.  Amazeballs for the time!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 1:48 AM, Rybags said:

Interesting - Star Raiders seems to have had a big influence in the decision to give the 400 a keyboard.

I hear people complain about the 400's cheap keyboard; but I always thought it was meant as more of an extended game controller for the machine, rather than something to type on; and for that, I always thought it served it's purpose rather well.

• Like 2

For a time the 400 probably held the award for worst keyboard though it was matched or beaten numerous times afterwards.

I think it was Joe Decuir who made significant contribution to both Atari SIO and USB.  Though some people extend it to a highly dubious claim of Atari inventing USB.

Edited by Rybags

My impression was that the 800 was the real computer and the 400 was the cut price version.
I guess the intent was to bring in as many buyers as possible with the cheap version, then hope that they will create an eco-system to support the better version.
These things were cheap compared to minis and mainframes btu still a significant cost to an average family - anythign that made them cheaper was a good thing.

As for the worst keyboard...
I remember using a friend's cheap MSX80 variant from Japan that had 2 controllers with about 20 keys+joystick each that could be put together to make a really crud keyboard.
The IBM-PCJr had a pretty bad chiclet keyboard too.

The article mentioned that Atari wanted a slice of the business market.
But using only 40 columns and using home TV's for monitors made this a laughing stock.
Even the C64 didn;t manage that one, leaving the market mostly to the Apple II.
Then the IBM-PC wiped the floor with the entire home computer market - "no-one ever got fired for buying IBM".