IGNORED

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis FINAL

easmith

Sorry for so many updates.... but been on a roll.

This is pretty much complete now except for some cosmetic tweaks here and there .  Probably will stop working unless I hear any feedback.

I have 2 Player mode active now, and have shored up the in/out detection a bit more.

I would really appreciate if anyone catches any bugs .

I am pretty happy with the gameplay.  I think it looks good in Stella but am not crazy about the flicker on CRT . So not sure if a cart will be made yet.

A cart for Beer Pong and 1 vs 1 Baseball are in the works .

But I hope someone can enjoy it !   I am a pretty avid tennis player and have tried to make the game play fairly realistic . 

Edited by easmith
  • Like 3

I finally won a match against the AI  !!

6-5

4-6

6-5 

Very tough and I have played a lot.  I have adjusted the AI so that it is easier to win a game when you are bottom player ( slowed down the top AI just a bit) . A strategy also when you are bottom player that works well is to approach the net.    So instead of having an advantage when serving , you have a slight advantage when you are top player. So winning a game as bottom player is kind of like breaking a serve, in that it is hard to accomplish.

I also just realized after playing a bunch that pants color did not change when the players changed sides! :)   fixed that .

Still an occasional bad call ( maybe once per match) , but that happens in real life too !

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, devwebcl said:

this version is very playable... a RC ?

Thanks !

Not quite . Stil some fine  tuning needed both graphically and gameplay -wise . 

For example , while the AI player when at top is just about right , the AI player when  at bottom is currently too slow/ dumb . I am able to get shots by it too easily . I finally found a bug with the AI movement that I have fixed that has helped with that , but still need to play more to get the right speed for the bottom AI player .   Getting close .   I am trying to wait until I get it closer to post another update . 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 6:07 AM, devwebcl said:

The game is very fast, it requires a while to start beating the cpu.

It would be good to have a novice/beginner level, much slower. This way the rally could be longer.

Thanks for the feedback .   I will work on it .   Here is my current plan :

novice mode where you get 2 fast shot / winner attempts per rally . So you have to pick your spots . 

Expert mode with unlimited fast shots . 

I also slowed down the fast shot just  a little 

I researched that 70 % of pro rallies last 4 shots or fewer . So wanted to make it fast on purpose .  Also, you have to do a little bit of guessing where the ball might go in order to have a chance at some shots, which to me adds a additional element .

But I think both options are a good idea and will add them 

Edited by easmith
  • Like 2

Update:

I did not like the 2 fast shots per rally option after playing for a bit.  Hard to keep track. 

I have changed it to :

Unlimited fast shots, but only off bounce-- cannot hit fast winner if ball is in air.  This is a bit more realistic.

Also tweaked colors a bit corrected a few minor graphics issues

Edited by easmith
  • Like 2

After playing / testing a lot, I am pretty happy with this version.  Rallies are longer , but can still hit the occasional winner . I think the AI opponent is tough but beatable .

I think that the ability to hit 3 different types of shots ( normal, fast , and lob)  and the ability to control the shot placement with joystick, makes this different enough from the previous 2600 tennis titles.

Note :I was finding that when trying to do lob shot ( up or down on joystick depending on whether at top or bottom ) , I would move the player out of the way of the ball and miss the shot.  So now, if button is pressed the player cannot move straight up (if top player) or straight down ( if bottom player). So press button when attempting a lob shot and it is easier .   ( Normally the button makes fast shot , but not when pressing in direction for lob shot).

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis readme.pdf

Edited by easmith
fixed a graphical bug in bottom swing. Also fixed a bug in the in/out detection. That was the last bug I am aware of
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, devwebcl said:

Now it is much better tennis game. ✌️

I wonder about AI, if it is implemented to play as baseliner?

Playing the default level, I get only volleys, although, this is not wrong (very playable), still I miss some baseline shots.

You can control depth of your shot / AI by joystick.

If you push up , up left, or up right during ( or just after ) shot when you are bottom  player, notice how the AI retreats to baseline.  Then he will shoot baseline fast shots off the bounce ( sometimes) . 

If you are top player , pushing down ,down left , or down right will accomplish same .  

Sometimes the AI will even go to baseline even if you hit short shot.  

To hit fast winners, has to be off bounce by pressing button during shot.  Try this and tell me if it makes it better

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:23 PM, easmith said:

After some feedback from devwebcl, I altered the AI a bit .  Also fixed an issue where the AI would not lob when volleying 

ProTennis2-2-20.bin 16 kB · 26 downloads

1 vs 1 Pro Tennis readme.pdf 43.34 kB · 13 downloads

This version is much better the feedback when hitting the ball.

there is going to be a cart version ?

• Like 2

I finished (and lost) a complete game.

This is my feedback:

bugs?

- when CPU won, then the word "in" appears, and a sound/pitch kept permanently (it looks like a bug)
- when serving from the bottom, always hit outside of the correct service-box (fail service).

new features:

- It would be nice that AI fails some service/serve some time.
- Also, the player could miss some service (if he/she moves the joystick for a longer time to right or left).
- I miss a parallel service (AI & player)
- player & CPU could move before serving, this way we can get different angles.
- With the above features, we could do aces.
- Is it possible to implement the messages "match point", "set point"? (when corresponding).

2 hours ago, devwebcl said:

I finished (and lost) a complete game.

Keep playing . I can win almost every time although it sometimes takes three sets

I

- when CPU won, then the word "in" appears, and a sound/pitch kept permanently (it looks like a bug)

I just added the sounds for in and out , so I probably need to shut it off when game is over.  The in or out will appear based on the last shot.  

- when serving from the bottom, always hit outside of the correct service-box (fail service).

I have not noticed this but will fix it if it is true

new features:

- Also, the player could miss some service (if he/she moves the joystick for a longer time to right or left).

Good suggestion.  I will see what I can do about varying the service position and angle .  I don't know about aces since the speed is not that fast for serves.

- Is it possible to implement the messages "match point", "set point"? (when corresponding).

I would like to do this but don't have the skills to accomplish this as it requires advanced TIA timing techniques for writing graphics multiple times per scanline.   I have to work within my programming limitations :(

9 hours ago, easmith said:

I would like to do this but don't have the skills to accomplish this as it requires advanced TIA timing techniques for writing graphics multiple times per scanline.   I have to work within my programming limitations :(

If you would like to learn to do a 48 pixel kernel, I would be happy to pass along what I know. If you don't want to deal with it for this project, you could use abbreviations instead, though. 

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

If you would like to learn to do a 48 pixel kernel, I would be happy to pass along what I know. If you don't want to deal with it for this project, you could use abbreviations instead, though. 

Thanks. I don't think I'll add the Set Point or Match Point graphics at this time. Folks will just have to look at the situation and figure it out.

For one, I only have 3 bytes of ram remaining .  I might be able to add  "SET PT" , but just determining set point will require a routine that looks at game totals for  both players  and current game score for both players . If I am not burned out after other issues are addressed I might see about it ....

• Like 1

We'll be featuring 1 vs 1 Pro Tennis LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Save Gaia: The Cy-Mage (WIP Exclusive Premiere) by Generation2 / Michael Brown aka EvoMikeUK
- Street Rod 2600 (2020 WIP Update) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- 1 vs 1 Pro Tennis (2020 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith

82141543_20200207-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.cffeca2232c51fcfe860958107d9f78d.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, devwebcl said:

new features:

In this update I have added variation to serves.  For now it is random, but will eventually add the ability to select placement with stick.

Even with the random selection it adds variety and you get the occasional ace.

Will need to impose some risk in choosing a serve that is in corner  or down the center line.  So this will require adding some percentage of these serves that land out and then judging faults  , then going to second serve or double fault.   Doable though .

1vs1ProTennis2-7-20.bin

Edited by easmith
  • Like 3