IGNORED

Another 800 with a whacking price on Ebay

TGB1718

Has anyone ever looked at what versions are on the Omnimon disk for the Controller Card (I presume its the Computer house ripped off one)

The disk boots to say which of two versions do you want to upload to the card but a casual glance at the bootable disk shows one version only?  Maybe I skipped through the code too fast..

If its Mike's code I'd imagine he put an 800 version and an XL version..

Omnimon(1).atr

I don't think that anyone has mentioned that it only has 32k of RAM!

I took a look at the sellers other items and it appears that he is some kind of dealer. Looks like he buys old computers (possibly at car boots) and then refurbs them, possibly retro-brightening them before selling them on.

I've seen "mint" 800's on sale on Ebay UK for £400 or possibly £500, but this is rich. The one I remember also said mint, but it was missing the folded metal sheet which goes under the cartridge flap. Just did a search and there is another "mint" 800 with an asking price of £699, an 800 system asking price of £500 (includes a tape deck and 1050), and another 800 at £399. I bought a faulty 800 off Ebay about 6 months ago for £100+ plus (I forget the price), the damn thing wasn't protected with enough bubble wrap and got dropped on the corner during transit and had several pieces shattered off. ?

I often "watch" these type of overpriced items to see if they sell, but I can recall that many sales.

regards...

-atariry

32 minutes ago, atariry said:

I don't think that anyone has mentioned that it only has 32k of RAM!

I took a look at the sellers other items and it appears that he is some kind of dealer. Looks like he buys old computers (possibly at car boots) and then refurbs them, possibly retro-brightening them before selling them on.

I've seen "mint" 800's on sale on Ebay UK for £400 or possibly £500, but this is rich. The one I remember also said mint, but it was missing the folded metal sheet which goes under the cartridge flap. Just did a search and there is another "mint" 800 with an asking price of £699, an 800 system asking price of £500 (includes a tape deck and 1050), and another 800 at £399. I bought a faulty 800 off Ebay about 6 months ago for £100+ plus (I forget the price), the damn thing wasn't protected with enough bubble wrap and got dropped on the corner during transit and had several pieces shattered off. ?

I often "watch" these type of overpriced items to see if they sell, but I can recall that many sales.

regards...

-atariry

Prices are crazy at the moment, long gone are the days of a boxed 800 for £50.
Like you I bought one from ebay (a few years ago) which came "protected" by 3 sheets of a newspaper. Obviously with the psu just thrown in for added damage.
So I now have an 800 with a bottom half that I managed to glue together, but the top half was smashed beyond recognition , so I have a topless 800 :( 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, mimo said:

Like you I bought one from ebay (a few years ago) which came "protected" by 3 sheets of a newspaper. Obviously with the psu just thrown in for added damage.
So I now have an 800 with a bottom half that I managed to glue together, but the top half was smashed beyond recognition , so I have a topless 800 :( 

We share the same fate ?...

Last summer I bought an 800, and after unpacking I was shocked ?,

it was hard damaged, see pictures...

Gtx.,

andY

IMG-20190608-153449.jpg

IMG-20190608-153457.jpg

IMG-20190608-153521.jpg

IMG-20190608-153610.jpg

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Prices are crazy at the moment, long gone are the days of a boxed 800 for £50.

Agreed, I bought a fully working 130XE with an XC12 Cassettte for £35 many years ago and still have it

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Agreed, I bought a fully working 130XE with an XC12 Cassettte for £35 many years ago and still have it

I just went through a load of my old posts, I did but that 800, boxed with a boxed 410 and about 200 discs, plus some other odds and sods for £50, absolutely crazy to think that. Of course I sold it on because I wanted the next "thing" whatever that may have been. 
NIB 130XE I think I paid about £35 for, a boxed 810 was given to me by someone, 600XL for a tenner etc etc.
Never for a minute did I think this stuff would be worth anything. Oh well :(

2 hours ago, mimo said:

@andymanonedid you stick it back together? I would have been tempted to use some bondo and find some paint close to the right colour. What a bloody shame though.
If I ever sell my last remaining 800 it will have to be collection only 

@mimo Yes, I was thinking about, but I haven´t it still done.

Some times ago, I saw an ebay seller who was selling a new (or nearly new) empty case, but it was expensive and the seller was located in the USA, so I hesitated (too long) ? and than it was sold...

But I think I´ll try to stick it together soon...

andY

• Like 1

9 hours ago, andymanone said:

We share the same fate ?...

Last summer I bought an 800, and after unpacking I was shocked ?,

it was hard damaged, see pictures...

Gtx.,

andY

Please give a trigger warning when posting images like that, I almost cried. ?

• Like 3

Truly was shocking, when I broke my 800 space bar I was gutted (super glue to the rescue (but ugly)) but when I saw all those parts it was horrific..

The 800 is a truly handsome beast of a machine, it should never be treated like that..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Ouch! Poor, poor 800...I think tears are welling up...

About the high prices these days: It's such a contrast to see some who are so greedy, wanting $1000 for an 800 and then there are true Atari collector's that are so generous, they give them away (surprise gift too! And properly packed for shipping!) with an 810! Like @Timothy Kline did for me the year before last. I only mentioned in passing that I was going to get another 800 (sold mine about 10-15 years ago when I had too, not wanted too), but with the prices they go for now, I might never have gotten it back again! And now I have an Incognito to go with it too!

Also to someone in particular who I know is keeping up with this thread, your 1200XL gift from me you will get one day! I promise! I haven't forgotten, it's just that life keeps getting in the way of me fixing and upgrading it for you! Another fellow who probably wouldn't be able to afford one at current insane prices! Just paying it forward! I also promise proper packing for shipping so it won't arrive in bits and pieces!

Edited by Gunstar

Temporarily stealing this thread... I got my Atari 800 atr a good price, but the cost of time and travel to model shops to buy paint and glue all added up.

I just checked. It cost £89 (found on Ebay UK) in Sep 2018.

Perhaps we need a new thread on recommendations as to how to best repair this type of damage?

819006822_Atari800damage.thumb.JPG.10722037a24f24b1fe0a5cbd159ca4da.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, atariry said:

Perhaps we need a new thread on recommendations as to how to best repair this type of damage?

That is a damn fine idea!!

I saw the one where the English who lives in the states (an actor / voice actor) posted a video of a rebuilt really awful 800XL

Twas a lot of work, I'll embed...And he makes great retro vids too..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2