IGNORED

SDrive Max won't plug into my 1050

videofx

You should tag @Gavin1968 so he knows you’re talking about his stuff. :)

Since the plugs he uses are 3D-printed, and the jacks on your 1050 are 35+ years old, you probably just need to work the two together a bit forcefully. The new plastic he uses may have swollen a bit with temperature or humidity changes and the old plastic of the vintage connectors has probably shrunken a little bit with age. 

• Like 1

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having an issue, as suggested above by @Kyle22 a fine grit sanding should do the trick. Sometimes they are a little snug but it should not take much to make it fit better.  When I build them I test them by plugging them into my 1050 and this one was not an exception.  Try a light sanding around the edge of the plug and you should have no problem.  Might also have to push a little harder.  

Thanks,

Gavin

and thank you @DrVenkman for the tag so I could address as well. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue. I have two 1050's. One works fine. The sdrive-max fits no problem, in either of the two I/O ports. On the other 1050, it doesn't fit in either, and it's not a matter of being snug...it's not really all that close. I'll try sanding down the connector and see if that helps. (Note: my SIO cable that I use to connect a 1050 to the 800XL fits fine in both 1050's. Same cable, fits both. Just the sdrive-max cable that won't fit in one of them at all.)

the swipes sit a bit further back in many of the new 3 printed connectors, sanding the edges and the sio hole end gives it just enough clearance to get the swipes nicely on the pins, basically you want to round off the squared edge just a little bit and sand a little off the end with the holes, then clean it off with can air, compressed air what ever it takes to blow the bits and pieces/ dust out, deoxit etc can help as well. Once done, it will stay firmly in and make nice contact.