IGNORED

Delete

lmich391

We AtariAge people like it when buyers will specify what model computer they are looking for! I've never owned an Atari computer either, but I'd recommend something like a 600 or 800xl. Relatively common and easy to use, since the original 400 and 800 doesn't have BASIC in ROM. If you looked through the For Sale forum, there are a couple 600xls for sale at around $140. Good luck!

I would highly recommend an 800XL.  I have had one since I was five (when it was new) and it has been my companion ever since.  Bluejay is correct, the XLs' have BASIC in ROM and don't require extra carts or disks to run it.  They are also more advanced than the earlier 400 or 800 models and built better than the later 65XE or 130XE.  I believe all games on cartridge designed for the 8 bit line will work on it as well, including the later XE games (Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.).  And, with 64k of ram you can run almost all disk programs as well if you have a drive.  The 800XL is still fairly common and inexpensive, it would serve you well.  Good luck!

38 minutes ago, bluejay said:

We AtariAge people like it when buyers will specify what model computer they are looking for! I've never owned an Atari computer either, but I'd recommend something like a 600 or 800xl. Relatively common and easy to use, since the original 400 and 800 doesn't have BASIC in ROM. If you looked through the For Sale forum, there are a couple 600xls for sale at around $140. Good luck!

I understand that. I like I said I never owned one. I was thinking about a 5200 or computer. I more thinking about a computer since I saw a topic about that. But their are so many computers for Atari that I was not sure want one to go with. 

18 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I would highly recommend an 800XL.  I have had one since I was five (when it was new) and it has been my companion ever since.  Bluejay is correct, the XLs' have BASIC in ROM and don't require extra carts or disks to run it.  They are also more advanced than the earlier 400 or 800 models and built better than the later 65XE or 130XE.  I believe all games on cartridge designed for the 8 bit line will work on it as well, including the later XE games (Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.).  And, with 64k of ram you can run almost all disk programs as well if you have a drive.  The 800XL is still fairly common and inexpensive, it would serve you well.  Good luck!

Thanks. I heard that was probably the best one. I just never had one.