IGNORED

Homebrew Manuals

TwentySixHundred

Im interested in what tools, templates or tips and tricks people are using to create homebrew game manuals these days. Thinking about creating a full colour manual for Bass Fishing Tournament but a little unsure how to tackle this.

• Are people creating their own art work for the manual/box art covers or out sourcing?
  • Is there any common tools used or just programs like photoshop?
  • Is it best to use a template like original Activision/Atari manuals from back in the day?
  • Do those who create them have a professional background in art or advertising?
  • Should i just scrap that idea due to lack of experience and write up a plain text doc?

Any help on how to tackle this would be much appreciated as im not the greatest artist and have no real idea in this field.

• Like 1

From my limited experience...if it is sold in the AA store...

1. Send formatted  text and screenshots to Albert.

2. Let Albert do his thing with whichever artist wants to. Maybe have a contest for art. Wait for tons of great submissions.

3. Nice manual pops out! Give credit to artist in manual. 

You should get with an artist who is an AA member, if you are not one yourself. 

• Like 1

Some game developers also create their own art, but the majority turn to someone else. There are a lot of talented artists in the community here who do artwork for games. Nathan Strum, Brian Ostrowski and Dave Dries just to name a few of the most prolific. You could contact one of them yourself or let Albert handle it if the game is going to be sold through AtariAge. I suggest you look through the store for artwork you particularly like and see who did it.

I wrote and designed the manuals for both Galactopus and Ms. Galactopus myself, but they're both kind of non-traditional (one is done in the style of a nature guide, the other in the style of an 80's strategy guide). I think typically the artist also handles the manual design and layout.

I personally prefer when homebrews have their own look to when they copy the look of OG games. That said, there have been some games that have done a very nice job of paying tribute to classic looks (Space Game and Tyre Trax come to mind).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Im interested in what tools, templates or tips and tricks people are using to create homebrew game manuals these days. Thinking about creating a full colour manual for Bass Fishing Tournament but a little unsure how to tackle this.

• Are people creating their own art work for the manual/box art covers or out sourcing?
  • Is it best to use a template like original Activision/Atari manuals from back in the day?
  • Do those who create them have a professional background in art or advertising?
  • Should i just scrap that idea due to lack of experience and write up a plain text doc?

Any help on how to tackle this would be much appreciated as im not the greatest artist and have no real idea in this field.

I'm in the same situation with my homebrew game Mardi Gras. After asking these same questions around the internet/homebrew community, Ross Adkin the programmer of my game, was able to layout the game manual design with the info I wrote and compiled. I'm still in the editing phase of the manual currently.

I'd still like to know if any of these items above are somewhere online too.

Edited by Arenafoot
  • Like 1

Some really good info so far, im guessing not many release manuals and box art before release on cart. Im not sure if the game would make the cut for a cart release as there is still many other great titles in the works. Also i am always hesitant about bothering others when they're busy working on other titles.

• Like 1

I have used some online printing companies for various things in the past but on a small scale so I imagine it probably is not cost effective but I believe there are quantity deals. I suppose it is how much you want. 

Booklet? Pamphlet? Color? Black and White? 

My personal opinion is that I would like something a couple pages that explain gameplay and sprites. Maybe a little backstory and a dedication. Especially credits to all those involved AND all those who helped along the way.

While I am not at the instruction stage yet, I have considered what I would want. I have also considered a "special edition" and make something fancier for friends and families and maybe those who want more.  

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

I've worked on manuals for a number of programmers, and typically the process goes something like this:

• The programmer writes the text for the manual. Some will indicate where they'd like a particular screenshot or illustration (joystick, console switches, etc.). Some programmers have roughed out the entire manual in Word. Others basically have a few key points they want included, and leave the writing to me.
  • I'll do a rough layout in Adobe InDesign. Generally, manuals for AtariAge are 5" x 7", with a 1/8" bleed, saddle-stitched. They have to be in multiples of four-pages. (Although you could just do a single two-sided card.) I have a template set up so I don't have to re-create this for each manual.
  • Photoshop, Illustrator and other graphics files can be imported and placed within InDesign, and InDesign is best-suited for text formatting and layout, so that's why I use it. I'm sure there are open source equivalents out there.
  • Documents (and imported graphics) should use CMYK color space. This is what all printers use, and it will give you the most accurate idea of what the final will look like. Plus, there's less chance of unpleasant surprises, or having your files outright rejected by the print shop. (It took me years to abandon RGB for print work. But I'm much happier now.)
  • The number of pages will depend on the content. The more text, screenshots and illustrations the manual needs, the more pages it will have. Sometimes you have to edit the content down to fit, or pad out the manual to keep it from looking empty. Font choice (style, size, spacing) plays a huge role in this. For some manuals I'll add extra illustrations to pad them out, but this takes time to do.
  • As for margins, columns, general layout, etc., that all depends on the individual manual. Look at different manuals, get a proper ruler, and measure them. See what font size they used, what the margins were, how big screenshots are, etc. If you like the way something looks - copy it. I've had to reproduce Atari, Sega and Coleco manuals for different homebrews (mostly reproductions), and I always make my own templates. Even within manufacturers, manuals would vary wildly, so I would adjust measurements and elements as I needed to for my purposes. It doesn't take long to create your own template, and you'll learn far more about the process doing it yourself than relying on something that someone else put together. Plus, you'll be able to make it the way you want it to be. Also, don't be afraid to make one just for fun. Throw some random text and screenshots into a document, and move things around just to see what you can come up with.
  • As the text and content is revised, the number of pages can change. The Boulder Dash manual is a good example of this. It just kept getting bigger and bigger as Andrew and Thomas added to the "history" section. Figuring out good places for page breaks to occur can be a real challenge, and will sometimes require shuffling entire sections around. You don't want to have a page turn in the middle of a paragraph explaining something important, for example. Nor do you want to split a scoring table over two pages if you can avoid it. That sort of thing. So the manual can change a lot as it's developed.
  • Once the manual is mostly complete, we start focusing on proofreading. This is usually when Albert gets involved because he'll catch things neither myself nor the programmer will have seen.  Then you get to do more changes!
  • Once the manual is declared "finished", Albert will specify what he needs for the printer. Sometimes he needs a PDF with individual pages that the print shop assembles into the final print-ready document, sometimes he needs a PDF with all of the pages imposed and ready to be printed. InDesign has tools for doing either one.
  • It's never a bad idea to do test prints as you go. You can do this on a cheap inkjet printer. Just to get an idea of how the manual looks at size in the real world.

Some manuals are pretty straightforward and don't take very long to create, and some are incredibly complex and time-consuming. I'm sure I've been responsible for the delay of several games getting released because of how long some manuals have taken me. :ponder: 

I think the most important consideration is that the instructions for the game are clearly and concisely explained. If there needs to be any accompanying screenshots to point out important game elements, those should be clear and appropriately labeled. I'll often take multiple screenshots and assemble different elements in Photoshop to make sure I get a single screenshot that gets the idea across.

I personally don't like using old Atari-style manuals (or labels) for games, or other vintage companies' for that matter. For repros and prototypes, I get it. But that's different. For new homebrews, I think the game should have its own unique identity. I get that some people like the warm-fuzzies they get seeing an Atari-style label on their game, but to me it does their game a disservice by making it look generic. Also, Atari (or any other vintage company) didn't earn the right to have that game associated with their company. They didn't put in the hours programming it. They didn't pay the programmer to make it. Plus, Atari is a sorry shell of its former self. They don't deserve to have their logo on these games. If a programmer asks me to use a vintage template I'll do it, but I'll do it reluctantly. (From my standpoint it's also a lot less creative, and therefore a lot less fun.)

Some of us who work on manuals do have professional backgrounds in design or illustration. But there are plenty of resources out there on how to learn to do this stuff, and there's no reason not to at least try it yourself. The first thing to do is look at other manuals and see what you like, and figure out what you'd need to get there. See how far you can take it yourself. In some cases, I've been asked by Albert to just do some tweaks or clean-up work on manuals other people have created. There are quite a few people on AtariAge capable of creating finished manuals, and it never hurts to ask for help. That said, this is a hobby. For all of us. So if you ask someone for help and they turn you down - don't take it personally. They may simply not have the time.

Finally, and this is important to remember - there's nothing wrong with a simple manual. I've found most people don't even read them anyway. ;) 

Edited by Nathan Strum
Proofreading.
  • Like 6

If you are willing to pay someone for the art (and box art sells games), you may want to try 99designs.com 

Basically, you describe what you want, offer a payment amount you will pay them, and artists from around the world attempt to win the "contest" for the money you offered.

That way, YOUR budget, YOUR choice, and you have options.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

I've worked on manuals for a number of programmers, and typically the process goes something like this:

• The programmer writes the text for the manual. Some will indicate where they'd like a particular screenshot or illustration (joystick, console switches, etc.). Some programmers have roughed out the entire manual in Word. Others basically have a few key points they want included, and leave the writing to me.
  • I'll do a rough layout in Adobe InDesign. Generally, manuals for AtariAge are 5" x 7", with a 1/8" bleed, saddle-stitched. They have to be in multiples of four-pages. (Although you could just do a single two-sided card.) I have a template set up so I don't have to re-create this for each manual.
  • Photoshop, Illustrator and other graphics files can be imported and placed within InDesign, and InDesign is best-suited for text formatting and layout, so that's why I use it. I'm sure there are open source equivalents out there.
  • Documents (and imported graphics) should use CMYK color space. This is what all printers use, and it will give you the most accurate idea of what the final will look like. Plus, there's less chance of unpleasant surprises, or having your files outright rejected by the print shop. (It took me years to abandon RGB for print work. But I'm much happier now.)
  • The number of pages will depend on the content. The more text, screenshots and illustrations the manual needs, the more pages it will have. Sometimes you have to edit the content down to fit, or pad out the manual to keep it from looking empty. Font choice (style, size, spacing) plays a huge role in this. For some manuals I'll add extra illustrations to pad them out, but this takes time to do.
  • As for margins, columns, general layout, etc., that all depends on the individual manual. Look at different manuals, get a proper ruler, and measure them. See what font size they used, what the margins were, how big screenshots are, etc. If you like the way something looks - copy it. I've had to reproduce Atari, Sega and Coleco manuals for different homebrews (mostly reproductions), and I always make my own templates. Even within manufacturers, manuals would vary wildly, so I would adjust measurements and elements as I needed to for my purposes. It doesn't take long to create your own template, and you'll learn far more about the process doing it yourself than relying on something that someone else put together. Plus, you'll be able to make it the way you want it to be. Also, don't be afraid to make one just for fun. Throw some random text and screenshots into a document, and move things around just to see what you can come up with.
  • As the text and content is revised, the number of pages can change. The Boulder Dash manual is a good example of this. It just kept getting bigger and bigger as Andrew and Thomas added to the "history" section. Figuring out good places for page breaks to occur can be a real challenge, and will sometimes require shuffling entire sections around. You don't want to have a page turn in the middle of a paragraph explaining something important, for example. Nor do you want to split a scoring table over two pages if you can avoid it. That sort of thing. So the manual can change a lot as it's developed.
  • Once the manual is mostly complete, we start focusing on proofreading. This is usually when Albert gets involved because he'll catch things neither myself nor the programmer will have seen.  Then you get to do more changes!
  • Once the manual is declared "finished", Albert will specify what he needs for the printer. Sometimes he needs a PDF with individual pages that the print shop assembles into the final print-ready document, sometimes he needs a PDF with all of the pages imposed and ready to be printed. InDesign has tools for doing either one.
  • It's never a bad idea to do test prints as you go. You can do this on a cheap inkjet printer. Just to get an idea of how the manual looks at size in the real world.

Some manuals are pretty straightforward and don't take very long to create, and some are incredibly complex and time-consuming. I'm sure I've been responsible for the delay of several games getting released because of how long some manuals have taken me. :ponder: 

I think the most important consideration is that the instructions for the game are clearly and concisely explained. If there needs to be any accompanying screenshots to point out important game elements, those should be clear and appropriately labeled. I'll often take multiple screenshots and assemble different elements in Photoshop to make sure I get a single screenshot that gets the idea across.

I personally don't like using old Atari-style manuals (or labels) for games, or other vintage companies' for that matter. For repros and prototypes, I get it. But that's different. For new homebrews, I think the game should have its own unique identity. I get that some people like the warm-fuzzies they get seeing an Atari-style label on their game, but to me it does their game a disservice by making it look generic. Also, Atari (or any other vintage company) didn't earn the right to have that game associated with their company. They didn't put in the hours programming it. They didn't pay the programmer to make it. Plus, Atari is a sorry shell of its former self. They don't deserve to have their logo on these games. If a programmer asks me to use a vintage template I'll do it, but I'll do it reluctantly. (From my standpoint it's also a lot less creative, and therefore a lot less fun.)

Some of us who work on manuals do have professional backgrounds in design or illustration. But there are plenty of resources out there on how to learn to do this stuff, and there's no reason not to at least try it yourself. The first thing to do is look at other manuals and see what you like, and figure out what you'd need to get there. See how far you can take it yourself. In some cases, I've been asked by Albert to just do some tweaks or clean-up work on manuals other people have created. There are quite a few people on AtariAge capable of creating finished manuals, and it never hurts to ask for help. That said, this is a hobby. For all of us. So if you ask someone for help and they turn you down - don't take it personally. They may simply not have the time.

Finally, and this is important to remember - there's nothing wrong with a simple manual. I've found most people don't even read them anyway. ;) 

This is a brilliant post and highly informative of the process broken down as to what it takes creating high quality manuals. Definitely deserves a pin on it's own for those interested with the skills in this field. Unfortunately my skills are by far limited to pull anything of this detail and quality off. I could probably get as far as Paint.NET/Photoshop and an inkjet printer but beyond that i have serious doubts in my abilities.

I was thinking of something like a 4 page colour manual that shows a brief description of the fish and what they're worth with a small backstory to set the mood. Controls and descriptions of the main screens so players have an idea of what everything represents along with credits to the AA community ect. The part im noticing with my incompetence in this field is many of the small details i would overlook/miss that those with experience know what makes it pop/standout.

Guess there is nothing to lose if i play around making a mock up on Paint.NET to see what i could come up with. Obviously if there was to be a release on cart i would probably need to lean on some shoulders here to see if anyone is interested. Thanks so much for the exceptional write up ?