IGNORED

Spotting Intellivision cartridges for a Retron 77 player

Nintendead

I have been picking up Atari 2600 games for a little while, but only recently got a Retron 77 to play them with. I am running Stella 6 Beta. While at a used game store the other day, I grabbed what I thought was a 2600 cartridge. The clerk told me it was actually an Intellivision cartridge. I know many Intellivision carts have an angled top with a label, and he said to look for a Mattel copyright to tell the difference. I had one cart like that at home, and assumed I bought an Intellivision game by mistake.

After I hooked up my Retron 77, I looked at the cartridge (Dark Chambers) and it looked as if it was compatible. I put it in, and it worked. I know the 2600 was not compatible with Intellivision games, and I can't find anything about the Retron 77 or Stella 6 being able to run them. I also am having a lot of trouble finding images of the connecting side of Intellivision carts. I can only assume this was a game made by Mattel for the 2600, but can anyone tell me the best way to determine the difference going forward. Thanks.

The M-Network games were made by Mattel for other platforms like the 2600.  The 2600 games they made look like an Intellivision game at the top but widen to fit the Atari cartridge slot at the bottom. Intellivision carts are mostly the same width with some minor variation from 3rd party carts.  Air Raiders for Atari and Boxing is Intellivision.  

DAD5C830-1BF1-402B-AF44-4709F1C0A18E.jpeg

0A5D2D99-AE39-4F26-B6B6-FFBF7A9CA9CE.jpeg

• Like 2

Sinjinhawke is right, they might look like intellivision cartridges on the outside but they're atari 2600 cartridges on the inside.  And Atari also made cartridges for Intellivision that look different than those made by Mattel.  The clerk in the store wss wrong.  The connecting side of an atari cartridge shell is physically too wide to fit an intellivision.

Mattel converted several of their Intellivision games to the Atari 2600, but they generally changed the name.  Dark Chamber is a unique title for the Atari 2600; it's a conversion of Intellivision Night Stalker.  So you can also tell by the title, in most cases.  That's because Mattel made games like Burgertime and Locknchase for both systems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

Small correction: I think both of you refer to Dark Cavern rather than Dark Chambers.

I think Dark Chamber sounds more inviting and an all together better place to visit than some nasty Dark Cavern.   Dark Cavern actually sounds rude and inappropriate.  I’m now offended in the strongest possible way.  “Good day sir”!!!
? <— obligatory winky