IGNORED

HSC17 Round 1: JOUST

*JOUST*

Polls

Battling off Donkey Kong and a late run from Robotron 2084, Joust wins the first poll of the season! I've left the poll open for another day or so as there might be a few people who are joining us, the runner-up games will be re-polled for round 2 so please all vote. The next poll will start with about a week to go.

Welcome

e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e to the new season of High Score Club action. Join in, play the game post a score it's that simple. If you need any help getting setup just post or message me.

Season 17

Looks like we're going for less games and more players this season, let's see how it goes. I've committed to 9 (2 week) rounds with only 1-2 games each, and also bribed people into playing with prizes for the top 3 plus anyone who plays in at least 20 rounds this season, no one will make it that far :!: Please don't be put off by some of the giant scores from the top players, instead enjoy the games and post scores as you play, screenshots optional.

Emulator Users

All games must be played at normal speed you have the choice of NTSC or PAL system. Set "overscan" to normal so the screen looks like the screenshot below and you cannot see into the margins (altirra view overscan mode).

*JOUST*

image.gif.6215274020de9471bcd3494e001890a2.gif

Joust is a great game and has not been played here since season 10 for some reason. Flap around, kill the birds, collect the eggs, lots of fun to be had.

The birds:

Red = Bounder
Grey = Hunter
Blue = Shadow Lord

Lance the pterodactyl when he opens his beak though it's "damn risky" and worth a measly 1,000 points. You can kill him with his beak closed and even kill him by hitting him from behind. Basically your lance tip has to be at the exact point of the beak, or his tail.

Links

Fandal XEX

Atarimania ROM & instructions

atarionline.pl XEX/ATR/BIN/CAR

Game Settings

Joust is a good one for a bit of handicapping so here goes: former HSC champs play on Expert or Advanced, everyone else play on Skilled (default) or Advanced if you are one of the better players or want a greater challenge, anyone who is new to the game or can't get past a few screens then play on Novice. It's all about participation, it won't always be fair, some games like this are faster on NTSC systems, others benefit from the faster movement. Joust does not show the high score, so after your go wait for the demo mode to start and you will see the last score(s).

Scoring

12pts for first down to 2pts for 11th and 12th, extra players make additional scoring from 3rd which is 10pts.

2 Player Bonus Point

Joust is one of the best 2 player games so play with another humanoid to pick up a bonus point! RT had a great idea - post scores too, the lowest one will count in a separate table so the incentive is to help your fellow player!

Fun Challenge

Most pterry's killed!

Round ends

Sunday 2nd Feb 2020 10pm UK time, if you've missed it just post a late score and join in on the next round ;)

Game on!

trbb

p.s. atarionline.pl are running a Kaz Kompo for best game of 2019 or atariage thread - pick your top ten in order, closes 25th Jan. Yes Block on Legs: First Steps and Space Fortress Omega are my games - do I hear bonus points anyone |:)

Also if anyone wants to write something for Pro(c) Atari Magazine please get in touch.

• Like 1

Ok, gonna need a ruling on this one.  First off, my score:  376,400!  Played on "skilled"

Now, here's the question:  Should I have played on 'expert?'  I've never been the HSC champ, but I have won individual rounds in the past.  If I should have played on Expert, then please disregard this score.

Joust 376400.png

• Like 2

I'm finding this one tough.

After a couple of hours discovering that my 400 has a fault, my 1200xl looks like crap I finally found my 1064 , and 3 joysticks all with faults ?

Played on skilled, I did get higher on novice but found that too easy.

IMG_20200118_175103.jpg

• Like 1

mimo play on novice or skilled - Usually with a bit of tinkering the joysticks can be patched up!

detecher why not go for advanced, you are already on NTSC

Mrs / Jrs / Snrs are alll welcome - play on Novice see the 2 player bonus point added to the first post ;)

Everyone like (Sikor has done above!) feel free to mention/link any of your own projects.

Don't worry about what you think are "low" scores it's all fun and will encourage others to play: some player's scores will be around the 10K mark.

Most rounds will not be handicapped and played on the same skill level, joust is just way to easy for top players on most skill levels (or takes forever to play) and too hard for others so we can be more flexible this time.

Emulator users be sure to turn overscan off - see 1st post, your screen should look like the screenshot in the first post.

25 minutes ago, STARBUG said:

Already on it!

359,350 Advanced

I feel like I've practiced for this around Christmas 1986 ?

I knew you'd been cheating :-D after a while you and some others might go to Expert, I'll leave if for you all to decide yourselves ;)

55 minutes ago, McKong said:

97450. Expert. I never was any good at this game

You can drop down to Advanced ;) I've made it a choice - update first post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I need to watch somebody good play.

I'd be interested to see that too for gameplay comparison

I wouldn't consider myself great at Joust, though I have a couple of main strategies (and a lot of luck) that give me decent scores on occasion

I can post a video of me playing on Expert if you'd like, but I only managed 300k when the camera was on, I'm gonna stick it up on YouTube anyway so I can delete it from my phone

Dave

• Like 2

Ok, for anybody who feels they're struggling a bit, I've posted a video on Youtube of me playing Expert level, but it's the same strategy I've used today on Skilled, Advance and Expert.

Basically, I stay the gap on the right as much as possible, bounce off the ceiling (a lot), and try my best to avoid that pain in the ass Pterry (though I did nail him once in this game, it's so satisfying)

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, STARBUG said:

Ok, for anybody who feels they're struggling a bit, I've posted a video on Youtube of me playing Expert level, but it's the same strategy I've used today on Skilled, Advance and Expert.

Basically, I stay the gap on the right as much as possible, bounce off the ceiling (a lot), and try my best to avoid that pain in the ass Pterry (though I did nail him once in this game, it's so satisfying)

Dave

Mrs RT thinks you got a better controller than every one else ;)

Its the way you must hold it ;)

Edited by RedThunder

2 minutes ago, RedThunder said:

Mrs RT thinks you got a better controller than every one else ;)

Its the way you must hold it ;)

Haha. I just use the Megadrive controllers. I bought a few original Atari controllers, but found the Megadrive ones much easier for playing most, well all, Atari games ?

• Like 1

I like to go for those crazy swoop down and bounces off the top of the screen and a lot of lurking about in certain areas - not played yet, got my sticks working and been forcing myself to have another day on my abbuc game but not made much progress, now I know pterry can be pecked from behind (see 1st post for some info I rounded up from previous Joust HSCs) it's going to be revenge :P

Good to see so much activity here already, don't over do it we have 2 weeks of this to go :)

If anyone wants a fun challenge how about the most Pterrys(?) killed

RT I think has picked up a 2 player bonus point, it's a great game in 2 player but there is no way to respawn a dead companion (could be a parrot?!), say like in Dandy, which would have been a nice feature so you have to abort to play again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1