IGNORED

5200 Power Switch replacement

RickR

Hello:

I'm looking for some help on replacing the actual power on/off switch on the motherboard of a 5200.  Does anyone know of a replacement part of any kind?  I have a 5200 that the physical switch has been smashed up and is unusable.  I can solder, but I don't know how exactly this thing works, as it appears to have three prongs. 

Thanks.

I did hear from greenween, who is sending me the board from his crushed 5200.  I'll harvest the switch from that one. 

Thanks, though!

I'm still interested to know how the 5200 switch works.  It seems to work by providing a quick on/off electrical connection when you press the button and then somehow the console stays on (or off).  As with many things about the 5200, Atari seemed to overdesign it.  They could have just used a standard on/off switch.  My guess is that this circuit they came up with had some purpose.  Like maybe it would auto shut-off if you pulled the cartridge or something. 

No it works the same as it does on the 7800. It is momentary in that when you press the button and complete the circuit, you activate the flip flop IC near it and that IC is what switches the console on and off. The 7800 has the same flip flop IC in it. And I'm pretty sure that a 5200 will still power on whether a cartridge is plugged in or not. At least I'm pretty sure my 4 port unit will power on regardless.