IGNORED

Game types and genres that were the gaming equivilent of evolutionary dead ends

empsolo

23 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

And I agree with Flojomojo, anything that uses unusual hardware has a "programmed obsolescence" built into it from the day of its inception.

Doesn't have to even use unusual hardware. The game itself (software) simply has to be "different enough" that no one understands it or is afraid of it. I'Robot is a good example. No one really knew what to do with it. And what class does it fit into? Just a plain'ol Shoot-em? Not even a Shoot-em-up!

Another thing is flight simulators, you don't often see anything flight-simulator related at GameStop? Do you? The genre is kept alive by a passionate group of enthusiasts. No one from mainstream gaming has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Another thing is flight simulators, you don't often see anything flight-simulator related at GameStop? Do you? The genre is kept alive by a passionate group of enthusiasts. No one from mainstream gaming has anything to do with it.

Depends what you mean by "flight simulator". If you're talking about software that replicates the real thing as closely as possible, where every key on the keyboard does something and where just taking off the runway requires digesting a whole 30-page chapter of the manual, those kinds of simulators have never been mainstream.

12 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Doesn't have to even use unusual hardware. The game itself (software) simply has to be "different enough" that no one understands it or is afraid of it. I'Robot is a good example. No one really knew what to do with it. And what class does it fit into? Just a plain'ol Shoot-em? Not even a Shoot-em-up!

"3D action puzzle adventure with electronic doodle side game" ? 

Why do we even have genres and classifications anyway? Silly hoo-man brains. It's a crime against gaming that the brand holder for that game is licensing its name to hotels rather than exploring as they once did. I miss the days when being fresh made money. 

Excellent point about flight simulators. There used to be tons of flight games, but even casual arcade type flight games don't sell. Same for space shooters, at least for big names. There's got to be an economic reason for the lack of a proper X-Wing followup. 

3 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Depends what you mean by "flight simulator". If you're talking about software that replicates the real thing as closely as possible, where every key on the keyboard does something and where just taking off the runway requires digesting a whole 30-page chapter of the manual, those kinds of simulators have never been mainstream.

<glances over at my fat Falcon 4.0 spiral bound manual> 

maybe not "popular" in the Call Of Duty way (bazillions of copies with every new release) but flight sims were a mainstay of early computing gaming -- before anything was truly popular. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, spacecadet said:

I feel like music/rhythm games are definitely at a nadir right now too. I know there are games like Beat Saber out there but it's the only semi-popular new-ish rhythm game I know of, and it's still basically the same idea as all the others. Hit the scrolling icons on the beat. For a while in the late 90's it seemed like every other game was a DDR ripoff, a lot of them were actually pretty good and the genre as a whole was probably one of the top genres in the world. But I guess there's only so much you can do with it, especially because almost all the good games in the genre require some kind of extra peripheral and people are only going to buy so many of those.

On console, sure. The category is alive and well on mobile, though. Some recent things I like:

Pianista

Muse Dash

OldSchool Musical

Frederic

Crypt of the NecroDancer (and the Zelda-themed version for Nintendo Switch)

Thumper

I think the problem here is that music games on console like that can't/won't sell for $30 or more, and definitely not on disk. But they're still out there, just further out to the edges of mainstream than where they were in Parappa and Rock Band days. 

I'd say that modern arcade games (such as they are) would best be described as an evolutionary dead end. I can't remember any real innovation in the arcade since the days of the Dreamcast. It makes me a little sad that you can't really go to the arcade to see the great new ideas that you can't play at home ... especially when the arcade is just big versions of the Candy Crush and Doodle Jump on my phone. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I'd say that modern arcade games (such as they are) would best be described as an evolutionary dead end. I can't remember any real innovation in the arcade since the days of the Dreamcast. It makes me a little sad that you can't really go to the arcade to see the great new ideas that you can't play at home ... especially when the arcade is just big versions of the Candy Crush and Doodle Jump on my phone. 

You mean you don't want to play Tetris on a really big screen with a really big controller? :lol:

• Like 1

I was at D&B just last December. I reconnoitered the game room and decided to pull out my iPad and read about the history of the 8086/8088 processors. That's how lame everything looked.

Then again the awesome experience of playing Gyruss or I'Robot for the first time is 40-something years in the past. D&B just didn't have anything to excite me today.

Bad enough I have to look at a smartphone for business. I don't wanna PAY to play dumb games on a 3-meter version of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1