IGNORED

Disk Controller Cartridge?

mozartpc27

A while back, I sold a TI system to fund another project, but since then I have been able to re-acquire what I had, including the PEB.  The one problem: I am missing the disk controller cartridge.  I just got to testing the thing today, but without that it seems I am up a creek.

A quick search of eBay showed no results currently, surprisingly.

Anyone have one they are willing to part with?

EDIT: I feel like a dunce.  I was looking for a "Disk Controller" cartridge, not a "Disk Manager" cartridge.  There are a couple on eBay, but I one is Disk Manager (1) not Disk Manager 2, and they're both likely to get kinda pricey.  Would prefer to work through here if I can!

Edited by mozartpc27
  • Like 2

Instead of one cart you should get the finalgrom99. I have them in stock at arcadeshopper.com this will let you load all the carts made for the TI on a sd card and run them without having to change carts

Also you can run the Homebrew stuff too

See the FAQ for more info and links

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Instead of one cart you should get the finalgrom99. I have them in stock at arcadeshopper.com this will let you load all the carts made for the TI on a sd card and run them without having to change carts

Also you can run the Homebrew stuff too

See the FAQ for more info and links

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I appreciate that and will probably go that route at some point, but the collector in me likes original equipment, which I find to be part of the fun.

• Like 1

Either Manager 1 or 2 will get the job done. DM1 is limited to single-sided formatting only while DM2 will handle double-sided drives as well. You didn't state capacity of your drive(s) so for now it may not matter, but DM2 is probably the better choice going forward.

There's several choices of better managers on floppy that will run under XB, if you have that cart or the Editor/Assembler cart. Once I got my hands on one of those, I pretty much parked my DM2 cart. I keep it around as a quick and dirty option when I don't feel like hunting down the correct floppy that has a manager program on it. I generally just keep my XB cart in the slot since both it and the TI port are showing their age and I like to save wear on them.

Do you have any disks that are already formatted? And maybe a way to get stuff from the internet onto them? A bit of a cart before the horse question, since that might also require a term program, such as the TEI/TEII cart (to start) and the correct cable to connect to your main computer using its own terminal emulator to transfer the files. Or some other flavor of the above such as Final Grom, etc.

I helped a fellow AA member a week or so ago with a couple floppies, I'd extend the same favor to you. It would help to know whether your drive(s) are single- or double-sided. That could help you a lot if all you have is blank, unformatted disks.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Of course, if you get one of the XB 2.7 suite cartridges, that has Extended BASIC, TI Writer, Editor/Assembler, Disk Manager 2, DSKU, the Myarc Disk Manager, Diagnostics, and a whole lot more on a single plug-in cartridge (although 32K is needed for a lot of these).

I really understand the tactile like for original equipment too. I have an extensive (nearly complete) collection of TI and third-party cartridges. . .

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

He has 32k but didn't mention any carts. So he might be stuck shopping for something. I was going for the low-buck approach (mail out a couple free starter disks) if he happened to already have an EXB or E/A cart. If all he has is a console and a stock-equipped TI PEB but no carts, the XB2.7 suite or FinalGrom are excellent alternatives for a one-cart answer!

-Ed

• 2 months later...