IGNORED

WTB Intellivision Console - Needs PERFECT Controllers

Swaggers

I have bought 2 systems in the last year and the controllers are always trash. They just stutter and don't respond consistently to disc presses and I want a system that actually works. I don't like the flashback controllers, already tried that adapter also. Looking for a system with perfect controllers or a way to make my controllers perfect! Thanks.

Edited by Swaggers

I  have to say that if you didn't like the flashback controllers....

Then you are NEVER going to like intellivision controllers. My point is that the flashback controllers I feel are the best controllers to use with the Intellivisions. I modded a pair for permanent use on my Sears model because they work so much better. I have original controllers with brand new mylar circuit sheets in them that work just slightly less or the same level as the flashback controllers do.

So yeah...if you don't like the FB controllers, you will never be happy even with a good set of originals in my opinion. Maybe you need to look at getting an Intellivision 2 or Sears unit and then see about investing into a custom controller solution?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Then you are NEVER going to like intellivision controllers. My point is that the flashback controllers I feel are the best controllers to use with the Intellivisions. I modded a pair for permanent use on my Sears model because they work so much better. I have original controllers with brand new mylar circuit sheets in them that work just slightly less or the same level as the flashback controllers do.

I'm playing Donkey Kong and just pressing right the entire time and it just stop registering that I am doing anything for a second, then starts moving again. Are you saying all controllers are going to do that?

Have you taken apart the controllers and cleaned between the mylar? If the electrical traces on the mylar aren't too worn, they should clean up and provide better contact.

Also, new mylar's are available via Rich, user @RWAP.

-edit-

Oh, and yes... been my experience playing Intellivision since the early 80's - the disc controller can and does lose contact every great now and again, even when you think you're continually pressing in a given direction. You either learn how to quickly compensate by diddling the pad (momentarily let up and reposition your thumb/slightly spin the disc) or not. All part of the Intellivision "charm".  ?

2 hours ago, Swaggers said:

I'm playing Donkey Kong and just pressing right the entire time and it just stop registering that I am doing anything for a second, then starts moving again. Are you saying all controllers are going to do that?

No properly working controllers wouldn't normally do that. As @save2600 stated above me, if the mylar has worn circle trails through it, then this does cause the disc to not respond in some positions etc. There is replacement mylar to fix worn out controllers. But again, you stated that you even tried the FB controllers and didn't like those either? So unless the FB controllers you used were also quite worn in a similar fashion, then you aren't likely to enjoy using any standard Intellivision controller.

Now, I can say there is one quirk of the Intellivision itself that does annoy me from time to time. Often times, certain button presses will register as control disc presses and I've had some times where moving in a certain direction and then using keypad buttons with my other hand at the same time could cause the control to stop responding for a second or cause it to change direction for a second. But I've gotten used to that and it isn't specific to my Intellivison as it is something you can replicate easily with using the diagnostics on any Intellivision. That is just a matter of how the matrix read of the buttons will sometimes overlap and be interpreted as control presses etc. But that is really the only odd quick about the Intellivision I've noticed. And most games seem to have been coded with this in mind as you don't normally have to do anything other than fire buttons with disc control.

• Thanks 1

Right on about the controller keypad/button matrix - that's gotta be it. Even with brand new, "perfectly" working controllers does this happen. You lose movement for a sec or change direction as noted above. Once you take apart an Intellivision controller and observe how everything is sandwiched together, can see how accidental keypad or button presses happen. Like I said, all part of the charm.   :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, Swaggers said:

I have bought 2 systems in the last year and the controllers are always trash. They just stutter and don't respond consistently to disc presses and I want a system that actually works. I don't like the flashback controllers, already tried that adapter also. Looking for a system with perfect controllers or a way to make my controllers perfect! Thanks.

Maybe add db9 ports to system (if needed) and use my controller adapter?