IGNORED

TI -99/4A compatible monitor

orion1052003

The best, cheapest option for the specific purpose of connecting an unmodded TI-99/4A to this particular monitor is almost certainly going to be a RetroTINK2X.

Since the monitor supports DVI-D, so you can take the RetroTINK's digital output and work directly with that.  It's the cheapest scaler that correctly handles 15KHz Composite input of the kind the TI-99/4A outputs, and outputs either digital video or RGBHV, which are your options here. 

Other options exist, but are mostly more expensive. 

One option that would be even cheaper would be an Extron DVS304.

These can often be had on Ebay for in the vicinity of $50.  And it'll take 15KHz Composite input and output RGBHV video at the resolution of your choice (which this monitor will accept).  But it's not a consumer device, and kind of expects you to read the manual, and know your way around analogue signal processing hardware.  So it's not a "turn key" solution, like the RetroTINK.  But all features necessary to this exercise can be accessed directly from the front panel menu, so no coding is required. 

Hi,

I’ve been walking down the path of trying to upgrade my old composite input monitor (about 13" on the diagonal) to a flat panel display. There are many other threads in this forum about that.

There are many considerations, aspect ration, progressive scan, composite input vs component input, as the King of Siam says ect, ect, etc....

People often site the f18a - it’s a great product and once it become available again I will purchase a couple. The down side to this solution, is that they have not been available since 2017(?) and they are a one console solution, so if you bring multiple console to use/work on, only that console benefits.

Newer monitors have the 16:9 aspect ration while the TI was designed for the old 4:3 standard. Gregory recommends the Samsung Syncmaster 910 MP. That’s a great monitor, but no longer in production and hard to locate - if you see one in great condition and you have the space and money - buy it! It's so popular and beloved, there are vendors that sale re-cap kits on ebay to keep them alive, that’s how popular these are!

Not seeing any good quality 910 MP’s for sale any where, I opted to try a Trutech PCS31170S1 - this is a 17" display - fits well on the PE-Box. I hooked the TI using some high quality video cables I picked up off ebay. The display was pretty bad - of course, if you look closely, it’s never perfect on a monitor, I think the blurry monitor display, just kind of masks the problems, where a LCD display will highlight them. After playing around with this unit, I found I can get an acceptable display by choosing “Picture Mode” and “Soft & Movie”.

Next I tried hooking the composite video to an amazon sourced Portta AV/CVBS Compostie S-Video to VGA Mini upscaler. This solution didn’t work, the display was black and white with lines.

Next thing to be tried, I purchased a AV2HDMI and an inexpensive HDMI to VDA output. The looks like connection sequence would be TI Composite Output > AV2HDMI > HDMI/VGA Converter > Monitor.