IGNORED

Help Wanted: Troubleshooting Audio/Video Upgrade

John edwards

I have an Atari six Swhich 2600 I have just upgraded it to play on the flat screen TV with one of those upgrade kits Which I bought from 8bit if I  Hold all three of the wires the black and white and the red between two fingers it works fine when I let go of the wires it stops working can anybody help with the problem

I recently upgraded my Atari six Switch with an upgrade kit I bought from  8bit everything seems to work fine if I hold the three wires with are black red and white between two fingers but when I let go these wires it stops does anybody know what the problem might be everything clean it worked fine before I converted it John

5CD6A842-2D92-4D16-B3FE-4187F0B85E6F.png

Edited by John edwards
More information

So you are acting in some way as a conduit/ground plane, you say.

Is there anything wrong with the soldering/connections, not connecting without your help?

The upgrade board should have been checked prior to dispatch.

I'd be checking the soldering/connections for continuity before contacting the seller for issues.

29 minutes ago, Voxel said:

So you are acting in some way as a conduit/ground plane, you say.

Is there anything wrong with the soldering/connections, not connecting without your help?

The upgrade board should have been checked prior to dispatch.

I'd be checking the soldering/connections for continuity before contacting the seller for issues.

I have checked both ends for continuity and they seem to be fine but I will check again thank you

Hi  it was a grounding problem but not where I expected, it was where the mother board should contact the metal case where the two controller inputs are on the board, there are two rows of brown caps, those two grounding contacts on the board connect with the case, noticed by accident when I pushed down on the board on the front and could not correct it so I soldered two wires one on each end on the neg terminals and have grounded them to the metal case screw it now opperates perfectly. Be good to know if you have the same problem again from Members

Thanks again John, if not clear let me know and I will try to take a picture before closing case.

I don't know what upgrade you have but it sounds like either a broken wire or a bad solder joint. The action of grasping the wires moves them establishing the connection and releasing them presumable result in them settling into another position where the connection is broken.

Try holding all three wires at once a slowly moving them up/down & left/right if it is a bad connection then it should intermittently work/stop working as the wires make intermittent connection while being moved.

If that appears to be the case you could just re-solder/replace all three wires but hopefully only one wire has a bad connection so if you want to be a little more scientific about it try moving one wire at a time to identify the wire which has the problem.