IGNORED

Has anyone actually played Quest for the Rings?

fred

Just curious, has anyone played Quest for the Rings? It looks like a complex game and was wondering what other people’s experiences were with it. Is it any fun?

I was thinking of trying to convince my two teenage kids to try to play the game with me, I understand it takes three players. I don’t want to torture them too much ? 

I thought it was OK in the 1980s, but we have come a long way. The board game serves as a randomizing system for the simple video game, adding some goals and strategy and a point to playing. 

It is hard for me to imagine modern teens digging it, but if they're game to try, definitely do it! I wouldn't force it on them though, it's not so hot in objective terms and inferior to a better designed board or video game. 

Review from a board game perspective: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39774/quest-rings

• 4 weeks later...

I would argue its more playable now than the business one (wall street) , but the modern combat one (conquest of the world) is the most fun one for "people our age". 

Although people try to design similar concepts for the original odyssey, given the videopac can handle actual games it's probably a better one to attempt homebrew with too - whether it was intended as a true spiritual successor to the original odysseys board game priority I don't know, but it's nice to think they might have "returned to their roots" at the end of the videopac life.