TwentySixHundred

Missile Defender (WIP)

Considering the suggestion of a name change to City Defender thanks to @Karl G. So i have created this title and think it actually looks pretty good. The name fits with the gameplay too.

Old:

69162925_MissileDefender20200210.thumb.png.82182ae6f70ceafd6874d7ef4632f00c.png.4c77a181095759d3425657ac68b547de.png

New:

Preview_Title_bas.thumb.png.bd7089d503dca323e6b3d8fec749e334.png

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Considering the suggestion of a name change to City Defender thanks to @Karl G. So i have created this title and think it actually looks pretty good. The name fits with the gameplay too.

That's definitely a better name since you're mostly defending the city.

It looks like there's an Atari 2600 Hack of Missile Command called City Defender: https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=114

And an Atari 8-bit port of Missile Command also called City Defender: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-city-defender_20815.html

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

That's definitely a better name since you're mostly defending the city.

It looks like there's an Atari 2600 Hack of Missile Command called City Defender: https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=114

And an Atari 8-bit port of Missile Command also called City Defender: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-city-defender_20815.html

Yeah i did notice the name was used quite a few times when i google search as with missile defender. What i find interesting is the titlescreen with this video, the skyline of the city with water surrounding it. Although mine is along side a lake it's interesting to see the similarity in design (was kind of a shock to see this as i thought my design was unique). Gameplay is vastly different though with a powerstation, playifield buildings and actual warheads but wow.

The name is what's getting to me as City Defender fits the purpose however i don't like to copy others. I would rather make my games somewhat original even if they're a de-make or revamp ect. Only problem i have with Missile Defender is it sounds like the player is defending Missiles rather then the City and that's why i liked Karl's suggestion.

Other names have been running through my mind but nothing seems to make sense or interest me as of yet. I must say i am a bit bummed about that titlescreen in that video now, it's so similar to mine :( Anyway it was my own idea and design so i am happy with that.

Edited by TwentySixHundred

Personally I like the name Missile Defender more, due to the similar concept to Missile Command, but especially after seeing an already existing game named City Defender.   Just throwing out thesaurus ideas for fun:  Missile Commander; Rocket Commander; Rocket Defender; Missile Defense; Missile Avenger; Missile Mission. 

It is looking like a quality game regardless of the name you decide on! 

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Personally I like the name Missile Defender more, due to the similar concept to Missile Command, but especially after seeing an already existing game named City Defender.   Just throwing out thesaurus ideas for fun:  Missile Commander; Rocket Commander; Rocket Defender; Missile Defense; Missile Avenger; Missile Mission. 

It is looking like a quality game regardless of the name you decide on! 

Thanks for the kind words Cafeman, yeah i am at such a loss what to call this game and starting to think of just sticking with Missile Defender. I have to admit this is probably one the hardest decisions so far, as nothing sounds right or already taken. I have came up with Missile Mayhem or ICBM Mayhem, however once again indecisive.

8 hours ago, easmith said:

Air Raid ? 

I believe was once previously a 2600 title (the infamous rare t-handle blue cart). Would make sense though probably wouldn't sit well with collectors being named the same as a rare title.