IGNORED

800XL, 130XE as a Ram Chip Tester

KLund1

I am having a hard time with ram chips in many different vintage systems. 

I was looking for a dram tester for 4116, 4164, 41256, and others. 

The ones I found are like $1,000! 

I found topics to build arduino testers, but that is still above my ability to build.

I thought maybe I could use a working 800XL board as a 4164 tester. Solder in a ziff socket in the correct part of the board, and if it boots it should be good. Then use the built-in self test to stress it a bit further

DO the same for 256 chips in a 103XE. What machine could I use for 4116? 600XL?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

A 16 chip 130XE would be better - a single bad chip could be sufficient to not allow an 800XL to function.  You need good z-page RAM for use as workspace and pointers for testing the remainder (OK, you could in theory do a ROM based test that didn't rely on any working RAM but it'd be a tedious thing to create)

Using the extended banks you should have main memory entirely functional though don't some Ram faults cause the chips to maintain a constant signal on their data line one way or the other that could screw everything up?

In the modern day though I do think something like a kit based affair would be a better option.

I don't think a 130XE could help you test 256K rams unless you already have a 320 upgrade installed.  Most 130 XE have 2 banks of 4164 chips installed.  

A 600XL won't be much help testing 4116's as they contain 2 4416 chips, not 8 4116's.  4416'S are 16kX4 bits while 4116's are 16KX1 bit.

Maybe an original 400 or 800 memory board would have socketed 4116 chips.

No, I'm sorry. I think we may have missed my bit crazy idea. I do not want to get an Atari working. I have many that do. I need a way cheaply test ram chips. I know Atari's best, so I thought I'd start there. I would be using bare boards, no case or RF shield.

If the 800XL dose not boot, I have a bad chip and in the trash it goes, next chip. If it dose boot, use the self-test to test it further. Use a ziff socket to easily add/remove chips?

4164 = 800XL (best socket number to use for this)

4116 = ?? 600XL ??

41256 = ?? probably need a highly modified Atari.  Not something I would use for just testing. what other cheap machine/motherboard might I use here?

(SYS-Check V2.2 would be good to have for helping with my other atari issues that come up.  Is it still available?)

Why not just use the native m/b for a particular type? i.e. 4164s in a 1200XL or 800XL, 4116s in a 400/800. The 41256s can be run in a 1200XL or 800XL with a minor circuit change.

Unless you have hundreds of chips to test, (in which case, the PBI thing sounds most feasible) just use the sockets that come with the machine - test 8 chips of a type at once.

There is an Atari diagnostic cartridge out there that seems to work pretty well for testing RAM, and other stuff, for that matter.

Bob

24 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

I saw that link. Thanks. Much beyond my abilities. Same with designing a PCB.

I need a almost plug and play solution.

I'd get a ziff 16-pin socket, or clip legs of the next size up, and put that into 2 sockets stacked on the atari for clearance.

I think 1 600XL will then work for 4116's. Plug one in, if it boot good, if not in the trash..
What might work for 41256's? I could use a PX/XT clone board, but that is a lot to setup, board, video card, crt, keyboard,PSU. Plus finding a board that show the ram error location on screen during post. Then deciphering the code. Anything simpler to use?

In theory you should be able to test 4116s in an 800XL though you'd probably get 4 mirrored images which would prevent normal OS startup, though a diag mode cartridge would still start.

But every chance it'd crash if it didn't specifically test for such a condition and take action to avoid inadvertant memory overwriting.