Jump to content
Magmavision2000

In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Overrated Video Game System?

Recommended Posts

It can be for any reason. I personally think that the SNES and N64 are painfully overrated, for the SNES, I feel like there are very little good games (although the good ones are great) and most of the good ones are just RPGs. And for the N64, I just personally don't like that system.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magmavision2000 said:

And for the N64, I just personally don't like that system

That's precisely my problem with that kind of debate. -_-

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something to like in just about any system that has already come out and received software support for a few years. 
 

I would say the most overrated systems are those that haven't launched yet but have nonetheless gathered a cult of vocal followers. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the PS2 because it's a jack of all trades, king of none.

Neo geo mvs and Sega Saturn excel in fighting games.

SNES and PS1 in JRPGS while also being good for platformers.

N64 excels in racing games and 3D platformers. 

But what does the PS2 excel in?

Nothing except for being able to play DVDs but game wise ..... it's okay I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PS2 was the original home for the games based on the GTA3 engine. Those games were amazing, ground-breaking titles. They all eventually hit the Xbox, but GTA3 was 2 years later, and Vice City took an extra year. 

 

The PS2 also had some great 3D platformers like the Ratchet and Clank series and Jak and Daxter series. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derFunkenstein said:

The PS2 was the original home for the games based on the GTA3 engine. Those games were amazing, ground-breaking titles. They all eventually hit the Xbox, but GTA3 was 2 years later, and Vice City took an extra year. 

 

The PS2 also had some great 3D platformers like the Ratchet and Clank series and Jak and Daxter series. 

It also installed DVD players into millions of homes. May seem silly now but was a BIG deal then.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that was already pointed out earlier. I was addressing the assertion that its game library was "okay I guess".

 

I didn't get into all my PS2 favorites (Katamari, Final Fantasy, MGS 2 and 3, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, Persona, Time Splitters, GTA, R&C, J&D, Tony Hawk 3, and the list goes on and on), but it had a lot of really great stuff. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HCRAYERT504 said:

I'd say the PS2 because it's a jack of all trades, king of none.

Neo geo mvs and Sega Saturn excel in fighting games.

SNES and PS1 in JRPGS while also being good for platformers.

N64 excels in racing games and 3D platformers. 

But what does the PS2 excel in?

Nothing except for being able to play DVDs but game wise ..... it's okay I guess.

I think that, except if a system was especially tailored to one genre (like the Neo Geo with is overrated to me, more on that after) a system being know for one type of game is more a weakness than a strenght.

It mean that the system had shortcomings that programmers couldn't overcome and so abandonned it; typically, if the Saturn is good for (I assume, 2D) fighters it's because it sucks at 3D.

 

As for overrated systems, the Neo Geo certainly is one.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent system with impressives graphics... for 1990.

And it remained relevant up to the PS1 sure, but that's 5 years, much like the Megadrive and SNES.

It was catering to a very specific and narrow public, and is quite limited in it's library. Spend the price of a Megadrive to get the console, and spend the price of a Super Nintendo to get ONE game. And each game will be a fighting game. I don't mind fighters but how many of them can you get, especially at those absurd prices?

But the Neo Geo community, up until recently, was really obnoxious about it. I remember that even getting a Neo Geo CD was frowned upon, with arguments such as there were only so few interesting games on it, and loading times of "2 to 3 minutes" (which is true of only a few late titles, most games have loading times below 40 seconds).

 

For a high end gaming console, the presentation is rather lackluster, especially the pads. But okay, let say that the rather flimsy plastic is the price for arcade-like graphics. I can admit cutting corners on the console itself to save money, alright; after all you aren't going to fiddle with the console all day. But then, you have the joypads. The square one is uncomfortable, the joystick is okay at best, and the buttons... Really, rubber dome buttons? They were selling 1990's tech up to 2004 and the best they could do all along was RUBBER DOMES like in any other game pad, when the defining difference in arcade is the use of switches/microswitches? And there was the peanut pad with easily breaking joystick. Sheesh.

And the good joke : if you wanted a second joystick... You had to pay more. Yeah. Sell an arcade system with lots of two players games, don't give a second stick. That isn't cheap ass at all.

 

Oh and back to the console itself; if you wanted to have stereo sound, you needed to use the headphone front connector. Like on a Megadrive model 1. Up to 2004. They couldn't do a version 2 of the console with RCA stereo connectors on the back? They did it on the Neo Geo CD after all!

 

Surely, the Neo Geo AES is an impressive system on the technical side, with games that remained to be impressive up to the late 90's. But to me, that's not the problem here; the problem here is more how it was sold and how, if you look past the hardware specs, the Neo Geo was quite made on the cheap.

 

Again, do'nt get me wrong, it is a good console. Also, SNK probably realized that they needed to work on the system; the Neo Geo CD actually look and feel solid, feature basically all video output available back then (composite, S-Video, RGB, stereo out from two RCA and not a stupid headphone jack) the plastic is much better and tightly assembled. Now that system looks and feel good! It's really a mystery to me why they didn't designed a new version of the AES cart at this point to refresh it a bit and correct the issues with the first model.

 

But yet, for many people it's a perfect, flawless system, and this is where it is overrated.

Hopefully this state of things is dying down, many people now aknowledge the flaws of the Neo Geo AES; most people I know that like the Neo Geo for example either use a MVS board (arcade version) or an adapter to play cheaper MSV carts; they also rarely use the original joystick.

As for myself I have a Neo Geo CD and it's a pleasant system. The second pad version with a more rounded body isn't so bad, and I'll probably convert the rubber domes to microswitches for that clicky feel :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me? Easy- NES!

 

I never thought I would be bored hanging out with friends playing videogames, but when my friends started getting NESes that's exactly what happened.

Maybe I was at a point in my life where I was too old for games like Super Mario, or maybe because I already had an ST and that made the 8-bit NES feel dated, but I never saw the system as the mind-blowing thing that everyone else seemed to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

The up and coming 🤔 AtariVCS 😜

86177343_205745494155986_7867367152594976768_o.thumb.jpg.824b2edca605d1eeae17bdaf7bef8ed4.jpg

I mean, no one really rates it do they? :lol:

 

 

Speaking for myself, I'd say it's the N64. Not to say it doesn't have some good games, but I feel it's bad to good ratio, coupled with control issues (and yes, in 2020, we have some decent alternatives, but still) mean that it's the retro system I turn to the absolute least for playing games. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CatPix said:

I think that, except if a system was especially tailored to one genre (like the Neo Geo with is overrated to me, more on that after) a system being know for one type of game is more a weakness than a strenght.

It mean that the system had shortcomings that programmers couldn't overcome and so abandonned it; typically, if the Saturn is good for (I assume, 2D) fighters it's because it sucks at 3D.

 

As for overrated systems, the Neo Geo certainly is one.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent system with impressives graphics... for 1990.

And it remained relevant up to the PS1 sure, but that's 5 years, much like the Megadrive and SNES.

It was catering to a very specific and narrow public, and is quite limited in it's library. Spend the price of a Megadrive to get the console, and spend the price of a Super Nintendo to get ONE game. And each game will be a fighting game. I don't mind fighters but how many of them can you get, especially at those absurd prices?

But the Neo Geo community, up until recently, was really obnoxious about it. I remember that even getting a Neo Geo CD was frowned upon, with arguments such as there were only so few interesting games on it, and loading times of "2 to 3 minutes" (which is true of only a few late titles, most games have loading times below 40 seconds).

 

For a high end gaming console, the presentation is rather lackluster, especially the pads. But okay, let say that the rather flimsy plastic is the price for arcade-like graphics. I can admit cutting corners on the console itself to save money, alright; after all you aren't going to fiddle with the console all day. But then, you have the joypads. The square one is uncomfortable, the joystick is okay at best, and the buttons... Really, rubber dome buttons? They were selling 1990's tech up to 2004 and the best they could do all along was RUBBER DOMES like in any other game pad, when the defining difference in arcade is the use of switches/microswitches? And there was the peanut pad with easily breaking joystick. Sheesh.

And the good joke : if you wanted a second joystick... You had to pay more. Yeah. Sell an arcade system with lots of two players games, don't give a second stick. That isn't cheap ass at all.

 

Oh and back to the console itself; if you wanted to have stereo sound, you needed to use the headphone front connector. Like on a Megadrive model 1. Up to 2004. They couldn't do a version 2 of the console with RCA stereo connectors on the back? They did it on the Neo Geo CD after all!

 

Surely, the Neo Geo AES is an impressive system on the technical side, with games that remained to be impressive up to the late 90's. But to me, that's not the problem here; the problem here is more how it was sold and how, if you look past the hardware specs, the Neo Geo was quite made on the cheap.

 

Again, do'nt get me wrong, it is a good console. Also, SNK probably realized that they needed to work on the system; the Neo Geo CD actually look and feel solid, feature basically all video output available back then (composite, S-Video, RGB, stereo out from two RCA and not a stupid headphone jack) the plastic is much better and tightly assembled. Now that system looks and feel good! It's really a mystery to me why they didn't designed a new version of the AES cart at this point to refresh it a bit and correct the issues with the first model.

 

But yet, for many people it's a perfect, flawless system, and this is where it is overrated.

Hopefully this state of things is dying down, many people now aknowledge the flaws of the Neo Geo AES; most people I know that like the Neo Geo for example either use a MVS board (arcade version) or an adapter to play cheaper MSV carts; they also rarely use the original joystick.

As for myself I have a Neo Geo CD and it's a pleasant system. The second pad version with a more rounded body isn't so bad, and I'll probably convert the rubber domes to microswitches for that clicky feel :)

Like, I love the Neo Geo in some respects and certainly love a lot of Neo Geo games... but to me, none of them are worth the hassle or expense of dealing with real hardware. I'm happy to get the games I do like on Switch, PS, etc. If I were to break down and get some kind of Neo Geo, I'd probably go for the CD. I even have a couple of CD games just in case I ever decided to go down that route... but I don't see it happening anytime soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, this is a tough one . . .

 

On 2/10/2020 at 5:15 AM, HCRAYERT504 said:

I'd say the PS2 because it's a jack of all trades, king of none.

Neo geo mvs and Sega Saturn excel in fighting games.

SNES and PS1 in JRPGS while also being good for platformers.

N64 excels in racing games and 3D platformers. 

But what does the PS2 excel in?

Nothing except for being able to play DVDs but game wise ..... it's okay I guess.

 

I guess I understand your point, but not being specialized is not a weakness.  That's like saying that "of all the cutlery, sporks are overrated because they don't master forkery."

 

The only way the PS2 could be overrated would be because it is often rated as the very best console of all time.  Someone's always gunning for #1, but calling its games "okay" is just ignoring the huge amount of games originally released for it.  Other posters touched on many of those but left out heavy hitters like God of War, Gran Tourismo, Okami and FREAKING GUITAR HERO!!  Sports games were pretty awesome on the PS2 as well, and it was really the only game in town for Madden and NHL before the Xbox rolled out of bed a few years later.

 

On 2/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, zzip said:

For me? Easy- NES!

 

I never thought I would be bored hanging out with friends playing videogames, but when my friends started getting NESes that's exactly what happened.

Maybe I was at a point in my life where I was too old for games like Super Mario, or maybe because I already had an ST and that made the 8-bit NES feel dated, but I never saw the system as the mind-blowing thing that everyone else seemed to.

 

It is tempting to answer the NES for me as well.  There are definitely some people who instantly love anything NES, and I want to shove a copy of Dragon Warrior down their neck.  However, when I see "best console of all time" lists, I rarely seem to see the NES at the top - even when some of its games often are.  On top of that, the NES hardware was expanded beyond what the original creators imagined with mappers and expansions.  It is truly a versatile and impressive console with an enormous library of very entertaining games.

 

As for the OPs two choices, I don't think people think very highly of the N64 much at all.  Even in retro gaming circles, it tends to get a little neglected.  It is probably the least popular Nintendo console besides the virtual boy. 

 

Now the SNES is an answer that I think I could get behind.  Is there something to like about the SNES?  Of course, but its competitors (SEGA, Amiga, PCE)  often did it better and had to fight against Nintendo's reputation to do it.  In that way, I guess I think that the SNES is probably the best answer given so far.

 

Thinking it over, I might actually pick the PS4.  It raced out ahead of the XBox One in sales mostly because of stupid media interactions from Microsoft.  PS4 does have some awesome exclusives and a spidery VR ad-on, but Microsoft has done nice things with backwards compatibility and gamepass, and they seem to have done better with that whole 4k HDR thing too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HCRAYERT504 said:

I'd say the PS2 because it's a jack of all trades, king of none.

Neo geo mvs and Sega Saturn excel in fighting games.

SNES and PS1 in JRPGS while also being good for platformers.

N64 excels in racing games and 3D platformers. 

But what does the PS2 excel in?

Nothing except for being able to play DVDs but game wise ..... it's okay I guess.

I don't really think so ... on top of my head there's no single racing game I would recommend that is on N64 aside Mario Kart (but racing per se it is not), for PS1 I can for sure recommend the 4 Ridge Racers (I love every single one of them, with RRR being my preferred one) as well as GT and GT2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

I don't really think so ... on top of my head there's no single racing game I would recommend that is on N64 aside Mario Kart (but racing per se it is not), for PS1 I can for sure recommend the 4 Ridge Racers (I love every single one of them, with RRR being my preferred one) as well as GT and GT2.

What... there was: F-Zero X, Star Wars Episode One: Pod Racer, Extreme-G and even Wipeout 64 was alright (not as good as the PS1 games but still good)… but I do love me some future death racing games lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP: "Very little good games on the SNES" tells me you haven't played much SNES.

 

N64 is a different beast. I personally see it as overrated. I still like it, but the biggest issue for me is it just lacks the wide variety you see on other mainstream platforms. Barely any 2D games to be found for instance, whereas there's a very healthy amount of them on the PS1 and Saturn.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

What... there was: F-Zero X, Star Wars Episode One: Pod Racer, Extreme-G and even Wipeout 64 was alright (not as good as the PS1 games but still good)… but I do love me some future death racing games lol...

...almost speechless... to be fair you could have named the Cruis'n series or the Rush series ... top notch racers ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pioneering stuff doesn't always age very well. I also find N64 games difficult to play now, even more so on modern systems like the Wii U because a lot of them work better with a real N64 controller in my opinion. But I can't deny tons of modern games owe to Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time for instance, and maybe because I played countless games that refined their formulas, I find difficult to come back to the original ones. That being said, I know a lot of people who still play these games on a N64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP, the SNES had a lot of games that are fun to play, not just RPG's. It's all up to what your tastes are in games. Like the Genesis, there are games for literally everyone on it. Racers, platformers, shmups, puzzlers, point and click, adventure, RPG, text based (Japan only for that genre),you name it, it had it.

 

 

To me personally, I will also say the N64, needed more 2D games on it as the puzzle games for it (the Bust A Move's, the Puyo's, and Susume Taisen Puzzle Dama) are quite enjoyable. Hell, the second Goemon for it played pretty much in 2D, and out of the 3 Goemon games for the N64, it is my favorite one. That era was when I got into Sony hardware, it had more of what I wanted to play (and eventually collect imports for, same with the Sega Saturn). Not to say there isn't fun stuff that is in 3D for the N64, like the Zelda titles, and stuff like Gauntlet Legends, but I always preferred my games to be 2D, and the N64 just didn't fulfill that need for me.

 

 

Have 180 SNES/SFC games, and 175 Genesis/MD games (and slowly growing for both), and to me, that is my favorite generation of games, with the 8 bit era of the NES shortly behind it. Now if you want an example of a system with good games, but not much of the great stuff released outside of Japan, the Sega Saturn is just that system. The west got so little of the goodies that Japan got, you'd swear the console has so few good games if you didn't know of what came out in Japan. It's a crime that so many of the great Saturn games never left Japan at all, but you'd not know that without the help of the internet.

Edited by Bloodreign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the Xbox 360 pretty underwhelming. A lot of FPSs and open world games of varying quality, many of which were probably better on other systems. I actually prefer the original Xbox to it.

 

I don't get the sense that the N64 is rated all that highly nowadays. I remember people actually really liking its controller at the time, but now everyone makes fun of it (they are pretty fragile, though...), and a lot of its signature games have been remade or improved on.

 

If we're including computers, I think the C64 is a bit overrated. I certainly like it and it had tons of games, but in general I think the Atari computers were more fun to play on because many games are faster and smoother.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like most topics, an exercise in banter really. Maybe stirring up some of the ol' grey matter. Or not.   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

Serious question: what do topics like this prove?  

An athlete runs around a track and ends his/her journey where it began.  Did they achieve anything by running in the first place?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wongojack said:

An athlete runs around a track and ends his/her journey where it began.  Did they achieve anything by running in the first place?

Longer life or shorter death!   🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...