IGNORED

It is amazing... controller questions.

leech

(This isn't a brag)  I have a pretty top of the line gaming PC, i9-9900k CPU, 64gb RAM, 2080 RTX, a Valve Index, and crazy amounts of overly priced controllers... plus about 3000 games on Steam.

And yet I just had more fun on my Atari 7800 playing Asteroids, than I have playing any game in a long time... also, I got 7800 as my last high score on it. 

Sadly, my go to controller (Epyx 500xj), is a little hard to play on these days, due to age.  Not of the controller, but ME!  Stupid arthritis really is terrible with that joystick.  So I plugged in my Sega Master System Control Stick.  It works quite well, but man is it missing those microswtiches that the 500xj has.

So, I want to buy one of the Super Twin 78 Arcade controllers, but from what I understand they didn't add the 4/8 way switching, right?  I think that is the only reason I haven't just ordered one.  Well, that and I usually like to order a few things at a time to make it worth Al's time to package them up. 

Thoughts?  I should be getting the UNO-2600 cart today as well, so may be time to play some 2600 games as well! 

The Starplex controllers, while unique for their time, are "small" and "cheap"...if you're serious about playing Asteroids (and about a dozen other games) properly without a full arcade cabinet, then you need one of these:

jJIYVH.png

RCSdUy.png

Details are HERE if you're interested.

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, doubledown said:

The Starplex controllers, while unique for their time, are "cheap"...if you're serious about playing Asteroids properly (and about a dozen other games), then you need one of these:

jJIYVH.png

RCSdUy.png

Details are HERE if you're interested.

Ooh, how are those for Joust?  I believe the arcade version was just left/right and flap button.

I may have to get one of those for other reasons too!  Actually would make a pretty sweet, but limited arcade stand.

There's been lots of discussion in the CV forums since Pixelboy and I announced these, regarding their game compatibility. Games like Asteroids, Carnival, Space Invaders (Midway uprights) and several others were originally all-buttons on their arcade cabinets, so this controller is perfect.  Obviously other games which used a 2-way joystick, like Joust, Mario Bros., Galaxian, and Galaga...also play very well with it.  Then of course there are several 2600 homebrew "space" style games that it will also work with very well.  Plus as it's built into a "beefed up" 14" x 8.25" aluminum enclosure (providing enough room to rest your hands/palms/wrists while playing) and features legit arcade leaf-switch push-buttons, you can play for long periods of time with little to no fatigue, and it should last approximately...forever!  

Very nifty.

doubledown's controllers are da bomb.

I suppose you could also try Sega's joysticks.. I like the "arcade power stick" with a Edladdin seagull. This has a long enough handle and is responsive enough that you might not have to worry about the 4-8 way restrictor plate, depending on how you play. Also I think this has micro-switches.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Very nifty.

doubledown's controllers are da bomb.

I suppose you could also try Sega's joysticks.. I like the "arcade power stick" with a Edladdin seagull. This has a long enough handle and is responsive enough that you might not have to worry about the 4-8 way restrictor plate, depending on how you play. Also I think this has micro-switches.

You must choose, but choose wisely...

I am somehow missing the Sega Arcade stick.  I have a great USB arcade stick, but I would have to see if it works with the TOM+ to the 7800 for that.

2020-02-16 18.30.23.jpg

7 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Well whatever you do, don't try that SEGA Control Stick from the SMS.  Probably the worst piece of hardware SEGA ever sold, or was associated with...in my opinion.  I had to make myself an alternative for my SG-1000/SMS game-play experience:

MhcmNf.png

Ha, yeah that is the one I was saying needed the microswtiches.   I already had to repair it by swapping the db9 cable out..  my proline in the picture won't go left either.  I might just build my own joystick at this point.

Edited by leech

Just want to jump in there and say I'm perfectly happy to build you a

On 2/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, leech said:

So, I want to buy one of the Super Twin 78 Arcade controllers, but from what I understand they didn't add the 4/8 way switching, right?  I think that is the only reason I haven't just ordered one.  Well, that and I usually like to order a few things at a time to make it worth Al's time to package them up. 

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy to build you a Super Twin 78 with switchable 4/8 joysticks, such as we use in the All-Play 4/8: Supreme 78.  I can punch two holes in the bottom of the case so you can access the little peg that allows you to rotate the plate.  Not as elegant as lifting the hinged panel on the Supremes, but it will get the job done. 

There's a $10 per stick up-charge because those joysticks are more expensive.

That said, I really have grown to be a big fan of the fixed octagonal restrictor plates that we use in the Sanwa sticks.  The truth about the various 8-way games is that you often want to be able to move precisely in the pure cardinal directions as well, and having all eight spots for the stick to land feels good to me.

While we are at it, the old school leaf-switch sticks completely forgo the restrictor plates and provide the softest touch, but you lose the positive guidance of having a restrictor plate guiding you into an exact movement.

PARTS-Supreme-78-All-Play-wiring-c.jpg

PARTS-Sanwa-octo-restrictor-compare-white.jpg

PARTS-All-Leaf-All.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, I think it is the octogonal one I swapped into my Mayflash F300!  It is pretty sweet.  Have you built 7800 ones with those?  Ha, was kind of thinking last night I should just build my own at some point.  But may save that for when I am finally putting together a MAME cabinet.

• Like 1