IGNORED

can disks be damaged if they are stored on or near the adam

rietveld

3 hours ago, rietveld said:

I have had a few disks work perfectly after I make them, then suddenly have missing blocks when I go to use themn a few days later.   This doesn't happen to all the disk.  

Better safe than sorry.  On another note, I have left booting ddp's in for years (pop open after booting to not heat the ddd) and they boot up every time when the ADAM is turned on.  Maybe it could be described as a crap shoot.

The issue that people remember is the EMP that is emitted from the ADAM Printer when turned on. If a data pack was too close or on the printer, the contents "could" be corrupted. I never experienced this issue and I have used/tested 100s of systems over the years. For it to affect a floppy disk is hard for me to imagine happening, but in hindsight, I would store them somewhere else.

How old are the disks that you are using? If over 30 years, that could be the problem or if newer, perhaps just a bad/cheap batch. It could also be an issue with the disk drive or the ADAM Logic Board, but you would need to continue testing things to see what happens... especially if you notice disk image files becoming corrupted on you ADE Lite.

12 hours ago, NIAD said:

The issue that people remember is the EMP that is emitted from the ADAM Printer when turned on. If a data pack was too close or on the printer, the contents "could" be corrupted. I never experienced this issue and I have used/tested 100s of systems over the years. For it to affect a floppy disk is hard for me to imagine happening, but in hindsight, I would store them somewhere else.

How old are the disks that you are using? If over 30 years, that could be the problem or if newer, perhaps just a bad/cheap batch. It could also be an issue with the disk drive or the ADAM Logic Board, but you would need to continue testing things to see what happens... especially if you notice disk image files becoming corrupted on you ADE Lite.

So far no problems with the ADE lite's. Dsk files.   

I was re-using old c64 disks so maybe they were just too old

I just made 10 more Adam disks using an new old stock.   These all seem to be working 

AH HA !!!  there is a recipe for failure.  I also have reused lots of disks, 5 1/4 and 3 1/2.  The failure rate of old reused disks is a problem; I have no knowledge of why or how, but I do know that they tend to go bad quicker than new old stock - even old ADAM disks seem to fair better than other reused computer disks.