IGNORED

The best looking video game systems and computers

Since we have threads for overrated, underrated, and ugly video game systems and computers, I think we should have one for beautiful systems like the X68000.

I nominate the aforementioned X68000, maybe the Intellivision, and definitely the original white PC Engine. If you've ever seen a brand-new looking white PC Engine in person, you know that its pristine, radiant beauty is blinding, much like looking into the sun. At least that's how I felt when I saw Konami's brand-new looking one at Tokyo Game Show. Too bad I only have a CoreGrafx and now I'm sad.

Also old video game boxes are great. I love them and so should you. I say Japanese Mega Drive, Neo Geo AES, and some of the X68000 boxes are excellent. I don't mean box art in general, but how the whole thing comes together to be beautiful, so box art + design of the box itself = overall presentation. Neo Geo AES definitely wins overall for boxes, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I think there was a thread about computers on the computer side of things. So...

The Micral 80-22

img_3012.jpg

Who doesn't want a Star Trek computer at home? now you can!

The Nordmende Teleplay

gallery_35492_2145_1055753.png

European licenced Channel F with a mad twist on the US Woodgrain style :D

LEMZ AGAT

164e3c6616dade6af19874f6b66672932be3ee35

This Soviet computer designed around 1985 was nothing but an Apple II clone. Despite this fact, the Soviet Union worked to sell it internationally through ELORG (the State company that also sold Tetris to the world). The projected price of 25 000$ was seen as a deal breaker, even with the few improvements made.

The red (HAH) version here was the first model and it's basically unseen outside of BITD pictures; the more common models are gray or black which isn't as cool as this :D

Agat-7-857x1024.jpg

(The logo is less Trekkie too)

The Radofin 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System :

gallery_35492_963_21818.jpg

First European-made console. Like the Nordmende, you can see that BITD for "advanced" electronics, Woodgrain was banned :D, and white 70's plastic was more the thing.

Small is cute, they say :

162491194.jpg

I agree. The 2600 with the metal band and rainbow stripe all along is very cute and pretty! And no cheesy woodgrain ;)

Some may see it as clunky. I agree. But my nerdy side says that it can be good-looking too :

8Z028044C001.jpg

A suitcase of 8 bits fun!

For further consoles... weeell I think that it's gonna be a tie with the usual suspects so... Might stop here for now.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Computer: Vertical X68000 

Console: N64 and I find the Phat PS3 to be sexy

Vertical X68000 is damn sexy.

N64... even the Pikachu one?

8 minutes ago, CatPix said:

I think there was a thread about computers on the computer side of things. So...

The Micral 80-22

img_3012.jpg

Who doesn't want a Star Trek computer at home? now you can!

The Nordmende Teleplay

gallery_35492_2145_1055753.png

European licenced Channel F with a mad twist on the US Woodgrain style :D

LEMZ AGAT

164e3c6616dade6af19874f6b66672932be3ee35

This Soviet computer designed around 1985 was nothing but an Apple II clone. Despite this fact, the Soviet Union worked to sell it internationally through ELORG (the State company that also sold Tetris to the world). The projected price of 25 000$ was seen as a deal breaker, even with the few improvements made.

The red (HAH) version here was the first model and it's basically unseen outside of BITD pictures; the more common models are gray or black which isn't as cool as this :D

Agat-7-857x1024.jpg

(The logo is less Trekkie too)

The Radofin 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System :

gallery_35492_963_21818.jpg

First European-made console. Like the Nordmende, you can see that BITD for "advanced" electronics, Woodgrain was banned :D, and white 70's plastic was more the thing.

Small is cute, they say :

162491194.jpg

I agree. The 2600 with the metal band and rainbow stripe all along is very cute and pretty! And no cheesy woodgrain ;)

Some may see it as clunky. I agree. But my nerdy side says that it can be good-looking too :

8Z028044C001.jpg

A suitcase of 8 bits fun!

For further consoles... weeell I think that it's gonna be a tie with the usual suspects so... Might stop here for now.

I LOVE my PC Engine+CD ROM2+IFU! It's so cool! Too bad I have a CoreGrafx and not the white original. The mismatched colors don't work so well, but it's still awesome.

• Like 1

This is kind of cheating, but I also really like the Japanese Mega Drive Mini. It's so cute next to the real thing! I bought it just for display because I'm a stupid Mega Driver and not rational. Too bad I ran out of space on my desk and had to kick it and the real MDCD32X off to make room for the PC Engine. Yes, my photography skills are terrible and so is my camera, but oh well.

Pic_0217_225.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CatPix said:

Does it come with a mini Mega-CD and 32X or are those third party add-ons/decorations? This is cool!

It's an official thing that you have to buy separately.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガゲームス-メガドラタワー-ミニ/dp/B07SPZ2R4K/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=メガドライブミニ&qid=1582039632&sr=8-4

Never thought I'd spend 5000 yen on useless junk for a not great game system, but here we are and it was ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Nice tower of power there!

lol which one?

I forgot to mention that if you open the Mega-CD Mini it has a little piece of cardboard with the motherboard printed on it and also Sonic CD. Let me see if I can find a picture of it on the internet. I can't open mine as my screwdriver doesn't fit.

Here, not mine though:

l_kutsu_190920mtower05.jpg

For consoles I say the 5200 as well. While I do happen to really like the design of the PS4 pro I still always say to myself how sexy that 5200 looks when I have it setup for play.

Computers? Not so sure..but I would probably give that nod to the Sharp X68K as well...

All in one Macs were cute once. Hopelessly beige today, but times change. 

450px-Macintosh_SE_b.jpg

The PSP was super slick in 2005. 

450px-Psp-1000.jpg

Palm V was desirable once upon a time. 

1920px-Palm_V.JPG

Now that I'm old, I think back on the stuff I thought was cool when I see expensive, desirable tech. It won't be that way forever. 

I paid a lot for my precious here. 

mujjo-iphone-11-case.thumb.jpg.f85d02463eea1b22701685aa87fbe22e.jpg

• Like 2

I kinda feel like I can be convinced to appreciate the design of every console even if they look like a dog's breakfast, so I asked my wife.  She said something like "they all look like clunky boxes of plastic."

She did admit that the PS2 slim is pretty nice and compact.  I agree, but I couldn't really find a picture that really shows the size comparison well.  Maybe this one:

ps3_slim.unboxed28.thumb.jpg.f867446b11697e9adb206afffff9a27f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I kinda feel like I can be convinced to appreciate the design of every console even if they look like a dog's breakfast, so I asked my wife.  She said something like "they all look like clunky boxes of plastic."

I think I agree with your wife, even if some of them do look a little better than others I am afraid she's spot on ... I do hate the Megadrive/Genesis 1 for faking the CD-Rom trap door on top ... I always thought it was lame they went with that "circle" design ... at the same time it is not bad looking so what do I know!

• Like 1