IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

On 2/13/2021 at 12:55 AM, Swami said:

It was DRM'ed against in the Evercade's version 3 firmware, so cannot benefit from those fixes. If EverSD makes a new version that defeats the DRM, it will most likely be DRM'ed against in a following Evercade firmware update. So, if you want to play that game, you will either be stuck with old firmware or buying multiple $100 EverSD carts.

There's a beta patch for the 1.3.1 firmware, and it seems to work. It may be a bit of a cat and mouse game going forward?

12 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

There's a beta patch for the 1.3.1 firmware, and it seems to work. It may be a bit of a cat and mouse game going forward?

As far as I know, original EverSD buyers still don't have the patch, so, it's hard to say whether they will be able to use it in plug and play fashion.

1 minute ago, Swami said:

As far as I know, original EverSD buyers still don't have the patch, so, it's hard to say whether they will be able to use it in plug and play fashion.

It's not in any way plug and play: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-use-eversd-on-evercade-firmware-1-3-1.583582/

But it does seem to work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got an email the other day about this 'evercade vs' (link) which I presume is a 2+ player console(?)

So far the extent of information on that page is a logo--just to temper expectations ;)

I'm probably down for an evercade console--for whatever reason I don't dislike my current evercade, and keep finding myself preordering stuff for it.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Cool! I'd get a multiplayer system, to my understanding, the carts are 2 player capable (for games that support it) just the handheld isnt. Though I could see a firmware to use a usbc controller.

Jelico and pico2 are slated for a next month release, just in time for evercades one year anniversary! Wow, has it really already been that long?

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Battlefish said:

It's official: the next Evercade collaboration is with Intellivision Entertainment, on an Intellivision collection for the Evercade!

@OEB_Pete has also posted an interview with Andrew Byatt of Evercade and Tommy Tallarico, if anyone's interested:

Might have to pick one up!

As long as it plays better than the DS dreck that came out years back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

As long as it plays better than the DS dreck that came out years back.

The one advantage with the DS version was that it could at least somewhat replicate the keypad. I suppose as long as they intelligently pick the games and map the functions to the existing buttons, it should be OK on this. Probably the Amico is going to be the best modern Intellivision experience, but who even knows how much appetite there is for them to bring the games out on that. 

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The one advantage with the DS version was that it could at least somewhat replicate the keypad. I suppose as long as they intelligently pick the games and map the functions to the existing buttons, it should be OK on this. Probably the Amico is going to be the best modern Intellivision experience, but who even knows how much appetite there is for them to bring the games out on that. 

True but the emulation wasn't all that grand, especially the Intellivoice titles.

But as you said, if they pick the right games, it should be fine.

I looked over the games list and the Codemaster's pack looks tasty.  My Mom bought a few Camerica games like Big Nose the Caveman, Quatro Adventure and B-52 which were all great games. Though I couldn't wrap my brain around the Dizzy games. 

• Like 1

my preorder of the second piko cart came in a few days ago.  That playstation soccer game seems to double-up on directional presses, making the menus awfully sensitive. 

So far I've only spent any real time with 'Top Racer 2'

I guess I also gave that GBA overhead racer more time than I gave it back on gba.  But that's not saying all that much.

Edited by Reaperman

On 3/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

They have an Intellivision licensing deal with arcade1up; the only thing we've seen is a novelty item; don't know if they have anything else in mind.

The evercade should be fine for lots of intellivision games as long as, like Bill says, they take the time to individually map buttons as needed.  AD&D should definitely be there.  Some of the sports games are a problem with only an 8-way dpad, but skiing and auto racing would work.

Edited by mr_me

Just got my Piko Collection 2 and Jaleco Collection in the mail today.  Will be playing them tomorrow after work.  I opened the JAleco cart and they included a promotional poster along with the manual!  Nice!  It's fitting as I fondly remember when I had a promotional poster in my childhood game room of City Connection that I received in the mail by filling out one of those magazine advertising cards.  So having a City Connection bit of art on this Jaleco poster is a great call back for me!  Maybe I'll get this new poster put up somewhere by my Evercade collection!

Jaleco has some cool games that I enjoyed (Bases Loaded, City Connection) and games that look like fun (pretty much all the other games on there!).

Piko 2... sports central... Beast Ball being Brutal Sports Football will be entertaining!  Basketball games are always fun to try.. I always liked the NES Hoops game so these are Genesis ports so they should be better!  I always wanted to buy Soccer Kid for the Jaguar so getting to give this a try is a must! (And I'm not paying the $70 price tag either!)  Racing games will be fun for a go... maybe I'll get hooked on one of them!  The soccer and football games... well... I'm more excited to play Sensible Soccer later this year on the Codemasters collection.  And Summer and Winter Challenge... sure I'm game for the Summer and Winter games!

Will be fun and should last me until the end of May for the Indie Collection that I'm super excited for!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reaperman said:

Probably the one that's not in the pong forum.

Why would a system with cartridges even be in there?

I think it started there because Blaze (maybe under different ownership?) made devices that fit in that forum, and when the Evercade was announced people just went with it. People post about the Atari Portfolio palmtop in that forum too, or at least they used to.

• Like 1

Got my copy of jaleco and piko2 last weekend, lots of good games here. Piko is a lot more stable than the original collection.ok

if you like sports and early 16 bit style racers, piko is great. Been wondering why the lack of sports titles in general.

Mega Cat Studios Collection 2 was announced today for Evercade.

https://www.evercade.co.uk/mega-cat-studios-collection-2-cartridge/

This was a surprised announcement this week and I am very pleased about it. I know Blaze announced ahead of time there was supposed a Collection announcement this week, but this was not the first thing I thought of. Having more Indie titles release on Evercade is a great thing and the first Mega Cat Studios Collection was one of the best Collections released on Evercade so far.

• Like 2

This is super awesome. I have been considering buying some of these physically from Mega Cat and I welcome the opportunity to try before I buy...

Game list:

• Alter Ego Dreamwalker
  • Arkagis Revolution
  • DevWill Too
  • Gluf
  • Misplaced
  • Remeow & Julicat
  • Roniu’s Tale
  • Yazzie
  • Like 3

According to email, preorders are now open on codemasters and megacat#2, but it doesn't look like most retailers are up on that yet.

I may do both of them.  A shame micro machines didn't make it after getting a 'top racer'-style rename hack, but there are still a few solid titles in codemasters without MM.  I have good memories of mig-29, but I'm probably the only one on earth who would ever say that line.

Edited by Reaperman

Videogamesplus has the pre-orders up for the two new titles.  I definitely want to get the Codemasters cart... Megacat 2 doesn't excite me as much.  I'll likely pick up both and I'd be shocked if I didn't end up loving a title or two from the MEgacat cart.  With these two releasing at the end of August and with 6 more releases showing on the 2021 roadmap... it seems like there will be a release each month end of September, October and November.  Which month will be the fabled Arcade month?  I'm guessing the Arcade releases will be Atari and/or Namco collections.  

Up next... next Friday, the 23rd we will learn exactly what the Evercade VS is!

20 hours ago, Reaperman said:

A shame micro machines didn't make it after getting a 'top racer'-style rename hack

That's not actually a hack in that case. Top Racer is just the Super Famicom release. 

I doubt the Evercade guys have done any rom modifications. 

• Thanks 1