IGNORED

UAV mod on 6 Switch colors are off

shear_xear

9 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

thanks big time for your offers! I checked that shipping to US is 50 bucks and to UK 40 bucks. So not that big of a difference. I thought "presents" are customs free, or no more?

You used to be able to mark things up as gifts or as worth less than £15. Sadly you'll be charged regardless these days. Worryingly the EU is wanting to bring in a similar system. No idea who it's supposed to benefit as it utterly kills trade between the UK and everyone else. We can absolutely do it, but the costs won't be much less than sending it to the US. It's complete madness.

Edited by juansolo

There's a spark of hope for me: a friend from Hamburg/Germany who knows it better will take a look at my mess.

😅

I will let you know the result. Thanks for your support. It is true - like James from ZPH always says - the Atari-Community is like a family 😃

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi

I'm actually going to video record the process I use for installing the UAV into a light sixer starting tonight. Although I will state right now, it won't involve the 4050 IC at all and will be showing the point to point locations I use. So essentially the same or similar process I used on 4 switch units and 2800/SVA II consoles.

Just wanted to provide some small input. I did another light sixer over the past few days...and sure enough only a black n white output?! I had to lift the right leg of R213 to get color working. That is the 680Ω resistor that ties pin 6 and 9 together on the TIA. So it seems on some sixers, that resistor will actually just kill the color signal to the UAV completely unless you remove it.

So another vote for R213 being the problem...

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys...it has been a while since I asked you for help.
In the meantime a friend of mine repaired my 6-switcher with the UAV mod. The composite signal works fine now, but the s-video signal is too dark he says. He thinks, I might have destroid the UAV board or it was defective in the first place.
Do you see any other reason for the dark picture? (He did spin the mainboard wheel).

The picture seems to look like dotty points and therefore darker...see here:

IMG_1288.jpeg

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi

1 hour ago, BriGuy_the_AtariGuy said:

Did you try different displays/output passthrough devices?  Speaking from experience, my issue wasn't with the mod, but the device (vcr) processing the signal before passing it to the tv.

He tried 2 setups. Though it is a NTSC console with RF output it was not so easy to get a signal in Europe😬

15 hours ago, BriGuy_the_AtariGuy said:

Only thing I can think of is that a PAL tv has higher resolution than NTSC.  For composite the TV is probably compensating on the analog signal but can't on the digital s-video signal and produces the gaps.  Does the s-video work ok on a NTSC tv?

I'm gonna check that when I receive the console back. I own a PVM with NTSC/PAL switch.

But there's another misterium since the mod (it's a NTSC console): NTSC games are shown in color, PAL are b/w.

Usually, they should be in color too just with another color scheme!?

4 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I'm gonna check that when I receive the console back. I own a PVM with NTSC/PAL switch.

But there's another misterium since the mod (it's a NTSC console): NTSC games are shown in color, PAL are b/w.

Usually, they should be in color too just with another color scheme!?

Depends on if you are talking about 2600 or 7800 PAL games. On my NTSC consoles with a BIOS swap on them, they will play PAL 7800 games and they are in color, but the image is always shifted down and off screen on my modern displays and they usually have graphical glitching or might outright lockup shortly after starting a game. 2600 on the other hand will only ever give me a black and white image on PAL games or PAL demos on my 7800s. But I do think this is very TV specific but I'm just unlucky in that all of my TVs minus my small PVM just won't show a PAL signal properly.