IGNORED

Apparently Limited Run Games is doing Sega CD games now

Steven Pendleton

Looks like they will be publishing Rebel Assault and Secret of Money Island for Sega CD soon.

These are mot for me, especially since you can find original copies of these for like $20 each, but maybe someone else might be interested. Sad to see someone is already scalping this new release on Ebay and it hasn't even opened for preorders yet.

I saw this the other day and I have to say, for the most part I like the idea, but only if they're given the full Collector's Edition treatment in the same way The Secret of Monkey Island is being offered. Otherwise, I'm not particularly interested.

LRG is known to crank out some very nice CE packages. That being said, when I think about other popular IP for the Sega CD, such as Working Designs' lineup of RPGs, I have to admit I'd love to see what the company could do in terms of bonus goodies. It'll be interesting to see if the company decides to dabble in re-releasing games for other platforms down the road, such as the Dreamcast, Saturn, NGCD, 3DO, etc. But again, only if they actually put in the effort to whip up an attractive package that's truly a labor of love dedicated to the IP they're supporting. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my original copies and call it a day.

Edited by DeadPixels

3 minutes ago, DeadPixels said:

I saw this the other day and I have to say, for the most part I like the idea, but only if they're given the full Collector's Edition treatment in the same way The Secret of Monkey Island is being offered. Otherwise, I'm not particularly interested.

LRG is known to crank out some very nice CE packages. That being said, when I think about other popular IP for the Sega CD, such as Working Designs' lineup of RPGs, I have to admit I'd love to see what the company could do in terms of bonus goodies. It'll be interesting to see if the company decides to dabble in re-releasing games for other platforms down the road, such as the Dreamcast, Saturn, NGCD, 3DO, etc. But again, only if they actually put in the effort to whip up an attractive package that's truly a labor of love dedicated to the IP they're supporting. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my original copies and call it a day.

I actually have a (Japanese Mega-CD) copy of Rebel Assault. It's not very good due to the color palette limitations and the lack of a joystick. And I mean like an actual joystick joystick, like the type you fly a real aircraft with. I would much rather play the Mac version that I grew up with, preferably with a joystick like I did back then. Or the PC version that I didn't grow up with because it's probably 100% identical to the Mac version.

I've never played Secret of Monkey Island on any platform, but same thing. I have bought I think 4 LRG releases, and of those 4, 2 of them got limited edition releases, and I skipped both and got regular instead. Ironic that they are perhaps the one company whose limited editions don't appeal to me. Then again, everything they release is technically "limited edition" anyway, I suppose. Speaking of Working Designs, someone needs to go back through and un-botch the "translation" and "balancing" stuff they ruined. Probably will never happen, though those Un-Worked Designs patches at least fix the gameplay they broke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I actually have a (Japanese Mega-CD) copy of Rebel Assault. It's not very good due to the color palette limitations and the lack of a joystick. And I mean like an actual joystick joystick, like the type you fly a real aircraft with. I would much rather play the Mac version that I grew up with, preferably with a joystick like I did back then. Or the PC version that I didn't grow up with because it's probably 100% identical to the Mac version.

I've never played Secret of Monkey Island on any platform, but same thing. I have bought I think 4 LRG releases, and of those 4, 2 of them got limited edition releases, and I skipped both and got regular instead. Ironic that they are perhaps the one company whose limited editions don't appeal to me. Then again, everything they release is technically "limited edition" anyway, I suppose. Speaking of Working Designs, someone needs to go back through and un-botch the "translation" and "balancing" stuff they ruined. Probably will never happen, though those Un-Worked Designs patches at least fix the gameplay they broke.

While I generally quite enjoy LRG's CE's -- I've got my Blazing Chrome VHS edition set to arrive today -- I can see where you're coming from. As you said, everything the produce is essentially limited edition, so I suppose the novelty does wear off a bit. I still manage to order four or five games from them a month though, because I'm a raging imbecile and can't resist shiny new toys. :D

I've played the Sega CD version of Rebel Assault before and have to say, as it's generally a very mediocre game to begin with, the SCD's limited color palette certainly doesn't do it any favors to be sure. 

As for the WD releases, I agree, though I did find some of the company's cheekier bits of their localisations fun at the time they were released. As far as re-balancing goes, I'm 100 percent with you. Vay would have been such a stellar RPG if it weren't for those insufferable random encounters that are triggered every 3 steps on the overworld. 

8 minutes ago, DeadPixels said:

While I generally quite enjoy LRG's CE's -- I've got my Blazing Chrome VHS edition set to arrive today -- I can see where you're coming from. As you said, everything the produce is essentially limited edition, so I suppose the novelty does wear off a bit. I still manage to order four or five games from them a month though, because I'm a raging imbecile and can't resist shiny new toys. :D

I've played the Sega CD version of Rebel Assault before and have to say, as it's generally a very mediocre game to begin with, the SCD's limited color palette certainly doesn't do it any favors to be sure. 

As for the WD releases, I agree, though I did find some of the company's cheekier bits of their localisations fun at the time they were released. As far as re-balancing goes, I'm 100 percent with you. Vay would have been such a stellar RPG if it weren't for those insufferable random encounters that are triggered every 3 steps on the overworld. 

Have you tried Rebel Assault on PC/Mac with joystick? It's basically a reasonably long arcade shooter if you do it like that. Highly enjoyable and recommended if you like those types of games.

As for Working Designs, the only thing I have really played is the Mega-CD version of Popful Mail. The Japanese is easy to understand, so I have had no problems understanding the story or anything and I also don't have to put up with the crazy difficulty increase. I did try the PC Engine version of Cadash for a few minutes the other day before trying the TurboGrafx-16 version. I saw their logo on the developer's splash screen before the game started and instantly shut off my PC Engine.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Have you tried Rebel Assault on PC/Mac with joystick? It's basically a reasonably long arcade shooter if you do it like that. Highly enjoyable and recommended if you like those types of games.

As for Working Designs, the only thing I have really played is the Mega-CD version of Popful Mail. The Japanese is easy to understand, so I have had no problems understanding the story or anything and I also don't have to put up with the crazy difficulty increase. I did try the PC Engine version of Cadash for a few minutes the other day before trying the TurboGrafx-16 version. I saw their logo on the developer's splash screen before the game started and instantly shut off my PC Engine.

Yup! I played the PC version on my friend's Tandy around the time it released. It was certainly a far cry better than the Sega CD version, but it still leaned a bit too heavily on trial-and-error like most FMV titles of its time. Still, I could see it being fun to revisit. Maybe I'll dust off my 3DO copy and take another stab at it sometime down the road. 

Cadash is certainly a fun little gem, though I have to confess I've only played the original arcade release. I'll probably nab the PCE or TG16 version sometime soon for some good, old fashioned cooperative carnage. 

Also interesting is that on their Twitter feed, they did confirm that later in the year that a PC version re-release for SOMI would be coming as well. I own the PC VGA version and that is really all you need. Load up DOSBox + MT-32 and I'm set on playing SOMI.

Now what would be really..really cool and I would be the first in line for, would be a re-release of Snatcher. But I doubt Konami would allow that to happen.

I don't think Snatcher will get a rerelease any time soon except for PC Engine Mini. I haven't played that version yet, but I have heard PC Engine is the best version and is also the last version that Kojima actually worked on. He was busy with something else (I think Policenauts) when the Sega CD port was made.

I wish I had the Justifier so I could try playing it with that on the CRT, though I think the game has not got a whole lot of replay value in general, sadly. Once was probably enough for me, but I would be lying if I didn't turn it on sometimes just for the music in the OP. Good thing Sega CD has a "built-in sound test" in the form of the CD player + Red Book audio in most games.

You know what? The Sega CD is region locked. Are these new prints region-locked? I imagine they are, so there is not much point for me. I COULD dump them and put them on my MegaSD... but I already dumped my Japanese Rebel Assault and put it on there. I'd also prefer to play both of these on Mac/PC, as well.

Off-topic, but I did read their Twitter just now and they responded to someone's request for Rogue Squadron series for Switch. Not sure how well the GameCube games would work without the analog shoulder buttons, but I'll take it!

8 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

I've a lot of Limited Run's output, but only a couple of the LEs just simply because I'm generally not into the swag they typically come with. I don't need reissues of Rebel Assault or Monkey Island as I already have 'em, but more power to them for putting out stuff like this.

Yeah, they have lots of good releases, but their LEs are frankly disappointing so I never buy them. That's okay, though, since it helps me save money and space while still getting a physical copy of the regular edition.

I don't know...I've got a few of the collectors editions of their releases and been quite happy with them. I really like the ToeJam & Earl collectors version though it is large taking up quite a bit of space on the shelf where it sits.

As for Snatcher, I actually own the PC-Engine release and the Pilot CD that came with it. But as I cannot speak or read Japanese, the SegaCD version is the only one I can really play. It is too bad that they did translate it for the PCE/TG-16 mini releases.

On 2/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't know...I've got a few of the collectors editions of their releases and been quite happy with them. I really like the ToeJam & Earl collectors version though it is large taking up quite a bit of space on the shelf where it sits.

As for Snatcher, I actually own the PC-Engine release and the Pilot CD that came with it. But as I cannot speak or read Japanese, the SegaCD version is the only one I can really play. It is too bad that they did translate it for the PCE/TG-16 mini releases.

You know that Pilot Disc is worth just as much as the game is? PC Engine Snatcher is easy to find, unlike the US/EU releases, but I think I have only seen the Pilot Disc once in person.

Anyway, I am curious to see if they will do any more Sega CD games. It's kind of annoying with the region lock, though. Funny that this is the first time I have ever had no use for my own country's versions of games due to region locking. Now I kind of see why all the European guys were so jealous when they didn't get the physical copy of Shin Megami Tensei IV and the rest of the world did.