IGNORED

Free Peterborough UK retro gaming event Sat 29th Feb 2020

therealbountybob

Nothing to do with me and probably little to none Atari stuff but I'm going to this on Saturday, might spend all the time on pac-man :D I'll be wearing my Pro(c) Atari Magazine Bosconian T-Shirt so say hello if anyone here does go

>>>
A retro gaming tournament is to be held at Peterborough United’s Weston Homes Stadium.

The Double Jump Retro Gaming Tournament 2020 will be held at the ground in London Road on Saturday, February 29 from 11am to 5pm.

If you were a whiz at Mario Kart, fiendishly unbeatable at Street Fighter or unstoppable at Pacman you can show off your skills and compete to win prizes and bragging rights.

The event is free to attend with money being raised for mental health charity Mind.

Organisers Suleiman and Jameella said: “We aim to create a day of fun and games along with a healthy competition with some superb prizes whilst bringing awareness and raising money to the Mind charity and showing that no matter how you feel, there is always support and community.

“This is a family friendly event fit for everyone with any experience of gaming. Even if all you have ever played is the occasional Candy Crush it’s all good. It’s also a great chance to see games from the past, whether you played them and wish to revisit a trip down memory lane or even just to show your kids or other family members just how addictive and challenging bouncing a pixel around a square screen could be.”

<<<

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Nice to know about but the thought of screaming kids by the boatload put me off. I shop late but my Tesco is full of kids at 9pm all playing hide and seek,  or careering up and down the aisle's screaming as I call it.

I really think the proper way to teach birth control to youngsters it to make them be around situations like you described for a few days straight.  I know the sound of a screaming kid or crying baby damn near makes me go inverted faster than a plunge in ice water ?

• Like 1

Fraid so, without stealing too much of the thread, I have a neighbour upstairs with 2 small children, they run from 7am across their wood flooring, they stamp, shout and scream which I hear in detail because of the floor and our council will do nothing because its small kids. The trouble is that it destroys concentration and stops my daughter from being able to work and this goes on till 11pm..Its sheer hell, just got a reply from my MP in a bid to help, the people themselves just say "we can do what we like".

Awful...We shall have to see what happens.....Kids are not always fun to have about when there's no control but that's enough derailing the thread..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Sad 2

Just to report back it was a small event with about 200 people that was all they wanted/could manage, I think it was a test run to see how it went. It was a few youngish guys with their range of 8-bit/16/32 bit computers consoles and handhelds probably about 40 in total on the desks plus a projector screen and seating for a tournament - they only did street fighter so pac-man was not to been seen. I think they were from cambridge computer musuem possibly, I gave them my details and talked about the Atari (what else) and offered to help out if they do it again.

I had a go on Tempest on a Jaguar and a few of the 8-bit computers - no Atari's they have an XEGS and thought about bringing a 2600 but did not bring either! I had a look at the lynxes but the screens were not so great. Best thing was playing on a Vectrex running an asteroids style game though the man said it needed re-capping as it didn't like being moved!  Enjoyed crazy taxi on possibly a dream cast or saturn, and liked the 3d something "boy" with the periscope viewer running mario game saw an xbox (old one) with the screen in the lid too.

I think some 8-bit Ataris with the right games on CTR TV's would really have stood out. Most computers here had flat screens I think they borrowed them from someone local and most have the sound off so these two factors lost about half of the experience. Some proper arcade machines would also have been nice, but it was charity afterall.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, McKong said:

Did you take any pictures? It's just a bit too far away from me

No there was not a lot to see, not really worth travelling to from any distance.... more later J

[edit]

can't see anything on line, probably on facebook somewhere, you didn't miss very much guys ;-)