IGNORED

TI-99-4A-Parallax-TI-Printer-Interface-by-Axiom

newTIboyRob

7 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Hello, I recently dug up a TI-99-4A-Parallax-TI-Printer-Interface-by-Axiom, but without its power supply.  If anyone knows what kind/power AC adapter I need at the back of the unit, please email me?  Thank you!

Don't have one, but here's the manual:  http://striker.interhact.net/ti99/datasheets and manuals/Hardware/Axiom ParallAx TI Printer Interface Manual.pdf

There is a mention about a 5V @ 250mA supply in the manual.  Just don't know which polarity.

you can also mod it to use the power from the printer itself, some printers will output the 5volts down the cable, see the page 15 in the manual linked above about changes you can do, including changing the CRU and device name so you can use it along with set of two rs232/pio cards in your peb as well.

Thank you all for the replies!  Well, to be honest, I am extremely non-technical, but maybe you guys can still help me if you read below.

So, just to clarify:

* I do not own a multimeter for testing  (great suggestion however)

* I know zero about modding, (thus would not even think of entering that arena, trust me)

* I know next to nothing about polarity

About the extent of my knowledge with this is:  I couldn't find what A/C power plug to use in the user manual.

However.... here is the good news though...  

I found I have an A/C adapter with selectable voltages:  I see it has: 1.5v, 3v, 3.5, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, and 12 v, and the small "TIP" piece that attaches to the cable end has a removable + - polarity piece.

It is similar to the white old school Radio Shack plug I remember from the 90's.

Suggestions from here?

Thanks!

There may be a way to tell on the case itself. Here's the circuit board from the manual. It can be powered either from a wallwart or the printer, depending on how J4 is set. From the factory it is wired to use the wallwart. One trace is cut and a jumper soldered on. I circled it in green.

Near as I can tell, the "tip" of the power jack is + Positive. I marked that in red.

Many devices will have this info molded into the nameplate info on the case itself. Here's a couple pics of my cordless phone, for example. On the right side of the info, you'll see a pictogram showing the center pin (the Tip) is Positive, while the Barrel (the metal sleeve) is Negative. It also states the voltage and current requirement and model number of a compatible wart.

Last pic shows the plug and jack for this phone and how they're wired for Positive and Negative.

Harbor Freight sells a stupid-cheap digital volt meter (DVM) and sometimes it's free with a coupon. Well worth having just for checking things like this or batteries to see if they have any life left.

Since your wallwart doesn't have a 5-volt position, I'd try the 3.5 volt setting first. Many times these cheap wallwarts are not regulated and have a higher than listed voltage. They require the load of a device to drop the voltage down. The 250mA load of the Parallax might be high enough it would load this wart to work on the 6-volt setting. That's where your new Harbor Freight meter would come in handy to check that. But you'd likely have to open up the case of the Parallax in order to get the meter probes on the power connections.

Once it's open, you could check the status of J4 and if the trace has been cut or not. If the thing doesn't seem to be alive on the wallwart, it may already be set to get power from the printer. Perhaps not all printers provide the 5-volts though. You may have to enlist the help a technical friend to lend a hand with figuring it out.

-Ed

ParallaxPower.jpg

PhonePower.jpg

Jack&Plug.jpg

Hopefully you'll find the polarity info on the case similar to my phone. Sometimes the jack polarity diagram is right next to it on the rear. That would remove the doubt about how to fit the matching plug onto your multi-voltage wallwart. If you install the wallwart's removeable plug so + goes to +, it "should" be putting positive on the center tip like I show in my pics. You can check the wallwart's case for info as well.

But I always like to verify these things with my DMM/DVM and avoid making smoke! ;)

Oh, and I think you're correct about the daisy-chain order of the TI first to the Speech, then the Parallax.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak