IGNORED

To Keep, Or Not To Keep....

widowsson

Hello all. Looking for others thoughts on where one ought to draw the line on keeping items, especially consoles that you already have one of. 

Where does the line start to blur between collecting/hoarding? 

My reason for asking is I picked up a huge lot of various consoles and games (I bought it due to there being several games I did not have l, but wanted for my collection, these games alone being well worth the purchase price of the entire lot) and I now find myself with duplicates of consoles.

One of these is a Sega CD model 2, which I already have, and is one of my favorite systems. I am debating of I should keep it, in case my current one buys the farm at some point, or sell it off as there is no need for it at this point.

I look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

• Like 2

It's a complex line; with various folks having various limits.

Some people collect variants of each console, including revisions (imagine that most of our console went through a dozen or so menial revisions) so for those, having only two of a system would be ridiculous.

If it's your favorite system and you pay a lot, then I suggest you keep it. Use it from time to time as storage is worst than regular use to wear out a system.

Use it as a demo to show to fellow retrogamers so you have a reason to keep it around with you.

I don't think it's hoarding if it's both a rare, valuable and beloved system. Now if you keep a system that you perfectly know you'll never use it, then sell it. It's more room for you and more money for your main systems.

• Like 3

It becomes hoarding when you either have a hard time letting stuff go (not like ultra-rare things, but stuff like duplicates), or you're still buying stuff even though you don't have the space/money to waste.

I don't know how reliable Sega CD 2s are, so I'd say keep it if you don't know how to repair stuff but if you do, sell it.

• Like 2

Well for some bullshit reason, and I'm getting mad about it now, my wife after being around her since 2002 is deciding that within our current 50s style home, that in my personal room, I have too much stuff and I'm hoarding.  Despite the fact that I've got less now than I have in any year I've been around her, it's too much.  I think it's mostly a personal issue as she doesn't like this house much and feels due to the old style small room setup it's crowded as she wants all sorts of stuff tossed and furniture sold, etc.  Aside from a few (and I do mean like +1) spare Gameboys (family) around I don't have doubles let alone triples of stuff and probably 5% of what I have now is not what I had back in the 80s-mid00s(GC/DS era back.)  Sega gone, most Sony gone, lots of other stuff cut back or gone.  Yet more bitchin' calling me a hoarder who is blind who can't see a problem.  I have been taking out bags of stuff I don't care to sell or store and have for a time, not good enough.  I got boxes of stuff to pop up on ebay, fb, here or there to sell as it's worth the effort...still bitchin despite being out of sight.  She's turned into a minimalist and I'm getting crap for it. >:[

The point?  Hoarding and collecting are two different things, and if you have it under control it's not hoarding.  But all that said, you find someone with a bug in their ass, they'll find any fucking excuse to call it hoarding and that you have the issue.  I get the rooms in my place are smaller due to 50s design, but it's not a mess.  It gets to where she starts trying to throw stuff out or threatens I bring it in and 2-3 go out and she does it, it won't be pretty.

• Like 1

I have less space to work in, so this is my way of dealing with it: what am I going to do with this system right now? Keeping a backup is all well & good, but who's to say your backup won't also break down when you need it anyway? Or that by the time you do need a backup, they'll be some awesome new things on the market you'll want instead. Think stuff like the Analogue systems, or some cool mod that would warrant letting someone do a repair & mod job on your console.

If the only reason to keep a system is 'I might need it later', it's not enough. My biggest 'doubles' collection is the 4 GBAs, which I keep as controllers for the Gamecube. The stupidest reason I keep a double around is in the 2 GBCs. One is mine from when I was a kid, the other's my fiancé's from when he was a kid. The reason there is Sentimental Attachment. Which is fine- it's not like the Gameboys are taking up much room. I don't actually really have much in the way of doubles at all, and it's all handheld related. 

• Like 3

If you include variants GBA is my largest too. :)  NES and Platinum 001, a 101 enabled cobalt blue, a normal charocoal 101, a black/silver micro and the red/gold micro, and then a glacier original gba too.  Doubles like with you also end with handhelds on my end too, at least with legit hardware.  I've got the SuperNT and a hidef nes toploader but have the original systems still in their boxes all nice and complete.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 4:18 PM, CatPix said:

Use it from time to time as storage is worst than regular use to wear out a system.

Use it as a demo to show to fellow retrogamers so you have a reason to keep it around with you.

I remember reading on here, years back, that video game systems need to see some electricity periodically otherwise they're likely to stop working, which seems similar to what you're saying here. I only ask because I do have some systems that I keep in storage for extended periods and sometimes don't get around to playing for a year. So would it be a good idea to at least for the ones I don't play regularly, to maybe fire them up about once a month? 

This thread is a very good question, I've been thinking about this myself as I live in a studio currently, so I think about space a lot. I think the advice here is good, I would add and it's helped me, is look at your systems and the ones that you haven't used in 6 months to a year maybe assess if its worth selling. Folks have also suggested maybe selling things that can be easily obtained later if you change your mind, like a common console vs things that might be more rare and harder to get like a limited edition homebrew game. I too am looking to slim down my collection a bit and focus. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on how badly you feel you "need" it.

I have some stuff like that which could fetch some money on eBay if I bothered to fish it out, test it, clean it, and list it. Or actually use it. In my case, I would be better off without it. Emulation/FPGA is good enough for me, because I'd rather have nice new hardware to play the old games. 

In your case, I would pick the nicer of the two for actual use, then clean/test the other one and wrap it up nicely in storage. After a reasonable amount of time, you'll have a better sense of whether or not you "need" to keep a spare. Or maybe even the first one. I think there's such a thing as getting this stuff out of your system if you want to make room for new things (either physical things, or other ways to spend limited time/attention/money). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atari2008 said:

I remember reading on here, years back, that video game systems need to see some electricity periodically otherwise they're likely to stop working, which seems similar to what you're saying here. I only ask because I do have some systems that I keep in storage for extended periods and sometimes don't get around to playing for a year. So would it be a good idea to at least for the ones I don't play regularly, to maybe fire them up about once a month?

Absolutely.

The most common failure will be with electrolytic capacitors. If left idle, the components inside will start to dissolve the inner layers or the sealant; when that happen, their will either goes up in flame or just not work. Either way, they are dead.

For systems with motors (CD-based mostly) grease and lubricant can dry. It's less of an issue but never a nice thing to deal with.

Rubber belts for tape or floppies will harder or melt into goo, though I believe that it will happen regardless of use; but it's better if the belt snaps and fall down rather than melting on the hub.

For systems with batteries it's good to see if your system keep memory. If it no longer retain dates and doesn't seems to recharge (if it's a rechargeable-based battery system) then it's time to replace it.

As you suggested, firing them once a motnh for about 15/20 minutes should be more than enough to prevent/slow down the death of certain components.

Note that if you own a system that have been recapped with dry capacitors, have no battery and is cart-based you can leave it in storage for quite a long time :)

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 3

When my old bag turned into a minimalist I just gave her control of the two garages and basement & cellar. That seemed to smooth things over. And I kindasorta wanted those cleaned up and out anyways. So let someone else do the work. Other than that we have our own hobby/workshop rooms.

But overall its great reading about what others are doing to downsize and reorganize. Huge monster-sized collections do nothing but bog ya down and interfere with actually enjoying the stuff you got.

I just took the Marie Kondo approach before there was a Marie Kondo. If it makes me happy, I keep it. If it doesn't, or I don't care, I get rid of it. I don't always get it right... sometimes I sell things and regret it (like my JVC X'Eye, or my Neo Geo AES). And, I've probably got a few too many systems right now, some of which I definitely do not actively collect for. But there was a time when I had the idea that I was going to have a pristine boxed example of every game console ever made (including the rare stuff), and I gave that idea up long ago. Now I just want stuff that makes me happy owning it.

I think that if you're buying stuff compulsively and then not doing much of anything with it, as I was doing for a little while, that's hoarding. If you're buying stuff because it makes you happy to have it, and then you still can look at it after buying it and feel happy to have it whenever you do, that's fine - that's just collecting. I just counted (my systems are all lined up in a row right now) and I have 25 boxed home consoles. I feel like that's a lot. But I can't think of one I'd feel happier not having, so they all stay for now. I do have a small "to sell" pile right now that includes a Nintendo Color TV Game 6 and my Oculus Rift. So I do get rid of stuff when I decide it's just taking up space. That's the line for me. I think it's pointless to say "I can only have 10 systems and 300 games" or something; there's no need to be so arbitrary. You only live once; just do what makes you happy. This is a hobby; making you happy is what it's supposed to do.

I'm lucky that I have a wife who's bemused by but is still more or less supportive of my hobby. I showed her my new lineup of boxed systems the other day and she said "wow, I'm jealous of the fact that you have all these things you want." That's definitely a backhanded compliment, but she never complains about space or tells me to get rid of anything. If she does complain, she just wants things to be equal; e.g. when I basically took over our third bedroom for my computer stuff but also insisted on keeping our second bedroom a shared room for both us and guests, she saw that as inequitable and we eventually needed to get a four bedroom house so she could have her own room too. I wonder if any of the problems other people have are for similar reasons... obviously my solution is not going to work for everyone (we had to move anyway, and we moved to a cheaper part of the country and are now renting), but I think if your game stuff is crowding out your wife/husband/significant other, then that's probably the point where you need to really look closely at your collection and how it's affecting the other person; maybe it's encroaching on them more than you think it is. For me, if either reconfiguring the house or just moving as we did was not an option, I'd have pared back a lot more. Happy wife, happy life. A game collection isn't worth losing a relationship over. They're just games.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CatPix said:

Absolutely.

The most common failure will be with electrolytic capacitors. If left idle, the components inside will start to dissolve the inner layers or the sealant; when that happen, their will either goes up in flame or just not work. Either way, they are dead.

For systems with motors (CD-based mostly) grease and lubricant can dry. It's less of an issue but never a nice thing to deal with.

Rubber belts for tape or floppies will harder or melt into goo, though I believe that it will happen regardless of use; but it's better if the belt snaps and fall down rather than melting on the hub.

For systems with batteries it's good to see if your system keep memory. If it no longer retain dates and doesn't seems to recharge (if it's a rechargeable-based battery system) then it's time to replace it.

As you suggested, firing them once a motnh for about 15/20 minutes should be more than enough to prevent/slow down the death of certain components.

Note that if you own a system that have been recapped with dry capacitors, have no battery and is cart-based you can leave it in storage for quite a long time :)

Thank you for this clarification, cool I'll put my systems on a monthly schedule, well the ones that aren't getting active use anyway. :) All my systems are cartridge based, original capacitors though so I'll have to test them periodically to make sure everything is cool. So far the ones longest in storage are a Fairchild Channel F (1st model) and the Atari 2600 (4 switch woodgrain). I like how you outlined the different things that could go wrong with different types of systems, what about the original Magnavox Odyssey, any unique things to watch out for with that one? I know not to leave batteries in as they can leak but since it's a more basic unit and more dated tech compared to the others, I wonder if I should do anything differently with it.