IGNORED

Shall I go for bigger 16k?

Serguei2

As far as I know, BlueMSX I use have the Megacart bankswitching scheme, which is 16KB fixed, 16KB switchable banks.  Same with the Ultimate SD cartridge.  I'm unsure about the other bankswitching schemes. I know that PkK is working on 24KB fixed, 8 KB swapable.

2 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

My game is at 18kb.

So far, so good.

You'll be fine until you go over 32KB.  The z80 can't read higher than 0xFFFF, so the address range for cartridge is ranged from 0x8000 to 0xFFFF, you're over 0xC000.  Around 28-32KB, I do get a wee bit nervous.  That's when I start optimizing and pletter compress stuff to add more stuff to the game.  In some case, I convert the game over to Mega-cart and I can just add stuff without worrying too much. 

I think you got confused with Intvbasic, where the memory are mapped into different region like 0x5000-6fff(16-bit word) is 16KB segment.  Where you have to insert 'asm org' to map that data to that other region.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Kiwi said:

You'll be fine until you go over 32KB.  The z80 can't read higher than 0xFFFF, so the address range for cartridge is ranged from 0x8000 to 0xFFFF, you're over 0xC000.  Around 28-32KB, I do get a wee bit nervous.  That's when I start optimizing and pletter compress stuff to add more stuff to the game.  In some case, I convert the game over to Mega-cart and I can just add stuff without worrying too much. 

I think you got confused with Intvbasic, where the memory are mapped into different region like 0x5000-6fff(16-bit word) is 16KB segment.  Where you have to insert 'asm org' to map that data to that other region.

I was confusing with video memory is 16k + 1k ram.