Jump to content
0078265317

The PS5 Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

WOW, ebay is already doing preorder.

 

This must be a scam.  Thats too much.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153971948585

Yes, that's a scalper/scam. I believe ebay sellers are required to ship things within 30 days of the purchase, and if you were to buy it now, it would be more than 30 days before it shipped anyway, unless the US Sega Saturn stealth launch thing happens again with this, which won't happen.

 

I can literally buy an X68000 with that much money (okay, fine, the one I found at BEEP the other day was actually the X68030, but still, it was 178000 yen), and I'd rather have the X68000 anyway. I seriously hope nobody pays that much for a PS5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Austin said:

Demon's Souls has me interested, but I feel I can wait. A Bloodborne II announcement on the other hand, and I probably would have been all-in on day-one.

Prior to my Sonygate customer service issues 😊

 

A Demon's Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2 announcement were what i was waiting for or perhaps better still, a brand new Sony exclusive being announced by From Software 

 

 

I literally crave something that had the immense impact Demon's and Bloodborne had on me on the respective Sony platforms, something that made you feel you'd made the right platform choice that generation and you just didn't want to play anything else but these titles. 

 

With Demon's remake I find myself disliking the changes in art direction, thinking if they mess with the online too much, the sense of impending Doom that you could be invaded by a phantom at the worst possible moment, will be lost. 

 

Bluepoint understand the technical aspects of how to do a remaster, but do they understand the inner workings of what made Demon's so special at the time, enough to do it justice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the 4k/2k thing...

 

Easily the biggest jump in percieved picture quality for me on panels was HDR (on OLED, it's not as impressive on LCD). 4k resolution just isn't neccessary, especially in the UK where accomodating anything much bigger than a 40" set becomes an issue for a lot of people. I'd have much rather had 1080p HDR OLEDs that were smaller than 55" (until the new CX LG's, the smallest OLEDs available). Then leaving all the game makers able to make games run at 60fps or better. You know, like they used to before the PS3 and Xbox 360 when making everything as pretty as possible became a priority over making things run well...

I had little to no interest in the PS4 and Xbone. I ended up with them both late in the game as there were a few things worth playing. I'm going into this next generation much the same way. I've no interest in them currently. When the slim consoles come along in three or so years I'll have another look in and see what they did. But otherwise, I've got plenty of backlog (going back 40 years) to be getting on with ;)

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 2:02 PM, Lost Dragon said:

I just noticed when Naughty Dog split into 2 teams to do The Last Of Us and Uncharted 3.

 

Neither offered the experience of Uncharted 2 for myself.

 

Haven't they also lost a key writer?.

Both of them, Amy Hennig and Bruce Straley. Amy worked on UC1-3 and was kicked during the early stages of 4 due to artistic differences with the management (which they changed and finished). Straley also worked on the UC games and TLOU, left due to burnout (pretty common at Naughty Dog given their working practices) and never came back.

 

The place is a bit of a 'mare to work at (Jason Shreier wrote an exposé on them here: https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962). One department lost 70% of it's staff and another has taken to hiring animators from the movie industry because they've burned so many game animators that no one wants to go there! Shame really that it seems to create games they must do so at the expense of the people making them.

Edited by juansolo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, juansolo said:

On the 4k/2k thing...

 

Easily the biggest jump in percieved picture quality for me on panels was HDR (on OLED, it's not as impressive on LCD). 4k resolution just isn't neccessary, especially in the UK where accomodating anything much bigger than a 40" set becomes an issue for a lot of people. I'd have much rather had 1080p HDR OLEDs that were smaller than 55" (until the new CX LG's, the smallest OLEDs available). Then leaving all the game makers able to make games run at 60fps or better. You know, like they used to before the PS3 and Xbox 360 when making everything as pretty as possible became a priority over making things run well...

I had little to no interest in the PS4 and Xbone. I ended up with them both late in the game as there were a few things worth playing. I'm going into this next generation much the same way. I've no interest in them currently. When the slim consoles come along in three or so years I'll have another look in and see what they did. But otherwise, I've got plenty of backlog (going back 40 years) to be getting on with ;)

Its already slim enough.  How can you slim a ps5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, juansolo said:

It'll happen. Every playstation has had a smaller version part through it's life cycle.

 

It will be interesting to see how that works now that die shrinks have considerably slowed down. It will be baby steps down with silicon now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's also not forget the reason Sony and Microsoft do this. By a certain point they'll have worked out a way to simplify and shave the costs of making the consoles. Given the quantities involved, a slim/small version is inevitable. Especially when the consoles are as advanced as these ones are. The CPU/GPU tech will move on, but mainly the SSD tech that they're running will become more mainstream and cheaper in a few years time. It may take a little longer but I still predict three to four years down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've trained consumers to expect redesigns several years into a console generation. They're going to have people holding back a few years into a generation in anticipation of a redesign being around the bend, so even if there's not a leap internally, I suspect they'd still restyle just to refresh the exterior and give an illusion of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Surprised this thread is so dead compared to the Xbox thread. Oh, well. Anyway, here is a thing that I read. Actually briefly glanced at, but close enough, I think.

 

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/ps5-launches-mid-november-pricing-and-first-party-launch-lineup-announced

Given the price hike on games, eye watering prices for the UK, the limp launch line up, fact titles like Demon's Souls remake and Final Fantasy 16 are heading to PC.. 

 

The fact Sony seem unable to explain how key functions of the PS5 are going to work... 

 

 

That they plan to support the PS4 for another 3 years apparently.. 

 

 

Maybe a good few of us are thinking we might sit this upcoming generation out and pray lessons are learned from it and the next, next generation puts some excitement back into gaming. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

Given the price hike on games, eye watering prices for the UK, the limp launch line up, fact titles like Demon's Souls remake and Final Fantasy 16 are heading to PC.. 

 

The fact Sony seem unable to explain how key functions of the PS5 are going to work... 

 

 

That they plan to support the PS4 for another 3 years apparently.. 

 

 

Maybe a good few of us are thinking we might sit this upcoming generation out and pray lessons are learned from it and the next, next generation puts some excitement back into gaming. 

PS4, as I've mentioned before elsewhere around here, is the most disappointing system I have ever owned, and I have a 32X and a SuperGrafx. Still, it's a nice BD player since Windows doesn't like BDs very much and I need to watch Star Trek somehow. I highly expect the PS5 to be equally disappointing, but I'll still pay attention to it in case some interesting exclusive game shows up for it. Until then, I'll just use my PC, but as I'm increasingly getting tired of modern games anyway, I doubt that I will be getting many new games in the coming years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

Given the price hike on games, eye watering prices for the UK, the limp launch line up, fact titles like Demon's Souls remake and Final Fantasy 16 are heading to PC.. 

Supposedly this was an error,  for Demon's Souls anyway.    Sony clarified that it's only coming to PS5.

 

Still, I don't know how you "accidentally" put PC in your trailer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-Ordered disc based system at Amazon.  
I use the PS4 for nearly all media consumption and mine is dying now.
Got disc one for playing my PS4 games, but i'll probably rarely use it for that but kids with probably play DVDs on it.

Looking forward to the next VR upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Agamon said:

Miles Morales and Horizon FW are coming to PS4, so I have even less interest in getting a PS5 for a good long while.

This is an aspect that i feel Sony have really messed up on. 

 

They showed tech demos of concepts in games that were only possible because of the PS5 SSD and they talk up the possibilities the soundchip in the PS5 has for games... 

 

Now it's become apparent some of the flagship titles are being built around the vanilla PS4 hardware, so i am guess the PS5 versions will simply be the same core game, just in a higher resolution and frame rate. 

 

 

I can appreciate Sony want to support the PS4 for a few years yet, but the studios should be building flagship titles that are only possible on Playstation 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zzip said:

Supposedly this was an error,  for Demon's Souls anyway.    Sony clarified that it's only coming to PS5.

 

Still, I don't know how you "accidentally" put PC in your trailer

From what i have seen, there's talk they also said it was coming to other consoles.. 🤔

 

It screams of timed exclusive as it stands. 

 

As for the video footage so far.. 

 

Do Bluepoint actually understand the games combat mechanics or what? 

 

 

The camera system has apparently been changed and for the worse.. 

 

Foot Soliders can be seen being dispatched with one hit kills.. 

 

There's no new areas or content.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

This is an aspect that i feel Sony have really messed up on. 

 

They showed tech demos of concepts in games that were only possible because of the PS5 SSD and they talk up the possibilities the soundchip in the PS5 has for games... 

 

Now it's become apparent some of the flagship titles are being built around the vanilla PS4 hardware, so i am guess the PS5 versions will simply be the same core game, just in a higher resolution and frame rate. 

 

 

I can appreciate Sony want to support the PS4 for a few years yet, but the studios should be building flagship titles that are only possible on Playstation 5.

Well those or at least some where started for the PS4, so why not finish what you got. Jim Ryan later said in an interview :“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

Personally I don't think developers work that way, but who knows maybe they really did for these games and it that games we should see a few differences in the games layout etc. Either way I don't see that as a problem for games released in the first year or so. Sony should have been more clear about it though.

Here's hoping they'll do a presentation soon again with more details about these games and their differences to put all those shocked gamers at ease and a teardown of the console + more tech details so we actually know what we buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

From what i have seen, there's talk they also said it was coming to other consoles..

That was supposedly a mistake as well. 

 

13 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

It screams of timed exclusive as it stands. 

This is an IP that Sony actually owns,  so it's not like they made a deal with From to have it for a limited time.   Still that doesn't mean they weren't planning to port it themselves.   But I'd have to wonder why?   They need to give us reasons to buy a PS5.   I haven't seen a lot of other interesting titles yet.

 

13 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Do Bluepoint actually understand the games combat mechanics or what? 

I never played the original,  but I played all the other Souls games and Bloodborne.   Bluepoint is known for high quality, but I do worry that they are doing this and not From, and wonder if they'll nail the feel of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ayreon:

 

Jim Ryan later said in an interview :“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. 

 

 

I can't help but notice Jim says take advantage, not FULL advantage, just advantage. 

 

To a layman like myself that means for an open world game like Horizon, faster loading times, maybe some enhanced audio in areas, as well as the expected increased resolution and better frame rates. 

 

 

You've only X Amount of people working at Guerilla and call me old fashioned, but if Sony want to convince cynics like myself, burnt twice now by extremely poor customer service from them, that they are a horse worth backing for another generation, they need their flagship teams hitting the ground running with titles showcasing just how advanced the PS5 is over the PS4 Pro. 

 

I honestly hope i am proven completely wrong, but i don't want a repeat of my Mega CD, Jaguar and  Dreamcast  owning days, splashing out on new hardware, who's potential isn't used and i come away wondering why i bothered to upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zzip said:

That was supposedly a mistake as well. 

 

This is an IP that Sony actually owns,  so it's not like they made a deal with From to have it for a limited time.   Still that doesn't mean they weren't planning to port it themselves.   But I'd have to wonder why?   They need to give us reasons to buy a PS5.   I haven't seen a lot of other interesting titles yet.

 

I never played the original,  but I played all the other Souls games and Bloodborne.   Bluepoint is known for high quality, but I do worry that they are doing this and not From, and wonder if they'll nail the feel of it

I did wonder if something had been lost in translation as it were, Sony owning the Demon's Souls I. P. 

 

It's taken sufficient time for Horizon Zero Dawn to move to PC and the same with Bloodborne, literally THE games of the PS4 for myself, so if Sony leave a sufficient window between PS5 and PC releases, console owners shouldn't feel too cheated and we've done exceptionally well over PC conversions to console, over the years. 

 

It's always a risk having someone else remake a game, they understandably will want to leave their own mark, the fans will be pestering for flaws of the original to be adressed. 

 

 

 

It's kind of similar in some way to when Halo was passed from Bungie to 343, Halo 4 was technically fantastic, but it just didn't FEEL like the Halo i grew up with, Reach was the far better Halo experience and Halo 4 put me off further Halo games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine has been messaging me about how much PS4 Pre-orders are going for on Ebay.. £600 apparently and he's looking at buying numerous consoles on his credit card as an investment... 

 

 

He can make a killing now and then buy a machine for personal use after Xmas.. 

 

 

New Generation, same consumer tactics. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

I honestly hope i am proven completely wrong, but i don't want a repeat of my Mega CD, Jaguar and  Dreamcast  owning days, splashing out on new hardware, who's potential isn't used and i come away wondering why i bothered to upgrade

Do you think the PS4's potential wasn't reached?   I don't think that will be an issue with a playstation console, since they always sell well and are well supported, unlike the systems you list.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lost Dragon said:

A friend of mine has been messaging me about how much PS4 Pre-orders are going for on Ebay.. £600 apparently and he's looking at buying numerous consoles on his credit card as an investment... 

 

 

He can make a killing now and then buy a machine for personal use after Xmas.. 

 

 

New Generation, same consumer tactics. 

So glad I learned to be patient :)

 

There really isn't much point owning new consoles the first year, there won't be many games taking advantage of the new features.   So I will wait until they are in stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...