IGNORED

$2,500 800 on eBay...

jamm

I thought the packaging for this "factory sealed, never opened" 800 on eBay was interesting.  He has pictures of the serial number on the box matching the unit, but I've never seen plain-box packaging for the 800 like that before.  Did it ever ship without the colorful retail packaging we've always seen?  Almost looks like it was meant to carry two unadorned 800's in a box without any retail packaging (but then there should be more than one serial number on the box).

Here's the link if you're curious...

There are none of the usual marketing/warranty/etc. materials in the box, which also seemed odd to me.  I guess they're in that separate box of manuals, but those hardly look factory-sealed.

Edited by jamm

LOL at FJC's post...A true nut job!!

As for the other 800, new in a box my backside, yellow, no books on show (as stated) and absurd price...Can we link up the guy from the video and the seller :)

Can't blame the guy for trying but more fool any buyer..

Oops, books shown in a later photo..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, jamm said:

I thought the packaging for this "factory sealed, never opened" 800 on eBay was interesting.  He has pictures of the serial number on the box matching the unit, but I've never seen plain-box packaging for the 800 like that before.  Did it ever ship without the colorful retail packaging we've always seen?  Almost looks like it was meant to carry two unadorned 800's in a box without any retail packaging (but then there should be more than one serial number on the box).

Here's the link if you're curious...

SWEET !!!

Decoloring is normal, EVEN if wrapped in plastic. It is also a function of how the wrapping chemicals may interact, over time, with the case's chemistry, itself (plus storage conditions).

Now, the BOX itself is interesting.... like a combo of some sorts... I LOVE the fact that the unit remains suspended on it... NOTHING touching the keyboard upside or down... reminds me exactly my 400 box... same foams, same suspension, also acting as carriers / support of accessories' box...

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

I LOVE the fact that the unit remains suspended on it... NOTHING touching the keyboard upside or down... reminds me exactly my 400 box... same foams, same suspension, also acting as carriers / support of accessories' box...

So you're saying that is how some Ataris were shipped?

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

$2500 the auction is listed at $3500! Did the idiot increase the price?

You're right!  The price is going up, folks, better get it while you can!!

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

$2500 the auction is listed at $3500! Did the idiot increase the price?

If he ends up selling that thing, it looks to me that he would probably makes US look like idiots... 

...In any case, I wish him the very best (hope he makes tons of money with it), and it would be awesome to see that baby flying out above $2,000 (!) That would be, indeed, pretty good for more conservative owners!

Edited by Faicuai

Just now, Faicuai said:

If he ends up selling that thing, it looks to me that he would probably makes US look like idiots... 

...In any case, I wish him the very best (hope he makes tons of money with it), and it would be awesome to see that baby flying out above $2,000 (!)

Considering his high profile reputation on eBay, he's definitely an experienced seller.  I won't be too surprised if someone buys it off him.  Some people have more money than they know what to do with, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jamm said:

So you're saying that is how some Ataris were shipped?

Yes, I ordered my first Atari 800 in 1982 if I remember correctly, for $585, just for the computer, and it came in a plain brown box. I've always been envious of the colorful retail packaging that I see, because I never had that.

Edited by bfollowell

I think what really puts it over the top in absurdity, is that he still wants $49 for shipping on top of the $3,500 asking price. Geeze let's gouge the buyer for all we can.

Now I could see this price for something like a 1400XL, but for an 800 that they sold 4 million of, this guy is totally crazy to be asking that much :roll: ,

I'm waiting for the price to take another 1K jump ;) .

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, mytek said:

I think what really puts it over the top in absurdity, is that he still wants $49 for shipping on top of the $3,500 asking price. Geeze let's gouge the buyer for all we can.

I thought that was funny, too.  As for the price... well, sometimes you have to set a crazy price to attract the crazy buyers.

It's bullshit like this that makes prices for former junk go through the roof.  Same hit happened with 60s era muscle cars.  One dumb ass pays $100,000 for a car because he can.  Now every old piece of shit is out of the price range of what a normal person can afford.  Call it capitalism at work - I call it bullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Now I could see this price for something like a 1400XL, but for an 800 that they sold 4 million of, this guy is totally crazy to be asking that much :roll: ,

I'm waiting for the price to take another 1K jump in price ;) .

I think your #s (commercially-wise) are way off.

I remember witnessing myself an auction-attempt on a 1450 XLD proto, and it was already around U..S. $5,000 (MOONs ago). Today, the 1450 will easily target U.S. $10,000, a 1400XL probably $7,000, and a 800-D (THAT is a really nice toy) would be between $7,000 and $10,000 (all of these REALLY well preserved, in close to pristine conditions).

Also, 4-million units is meaningless in terms of supply/demand of a given model, and for a given set of target-attributes. Even today I see bizarro-high prices for the crap-built C64, which sold by gazillions (!)  IF that 800's seller has a true, legit, "unused" unit still wrapped and original box, I don't think his price is necessarily way off. Early early APPLE II's have fetched way more than that, and they are clearly inferior (quality-wise) than Apple II's produced right after. The occurrence of the target attribute-set is the real key.

What I find surprising, though, part of our community reflects (financially) upon their own hobby and its technological legacy. It is not uncommon to see the "cheap junk" mentality around. To this extent, I would only say, let those that consider it more valuable handle their money in whatever way they please or deem appropriate... and let those that conceptualize their hobby as cheap-junk continue to do so, freely and happily

And let the market-forces take care of the details. A happily-ever-after for everyone. 

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Yeah you're probably right. I'm thinking back around 4-5 years ago

----------

I think I'd rather go for this at $275 delivered...

800.thumb.jpg.c6e25f33222cb9c574eeefb1e1e883c8.jpg

eBay Link

Looks just as clean, plastic color looks even better, comes with a great game, and it's shown working.

Edit: would want to verify if game cart included due to conflicting statement in listing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

I remember witnessing myself an auction-attempt on a 1450 XLD proto, and it was already around U..S. $5,000 (MOONs ago). Today, the 1450 will easily target U.S. $10,000, a 1400XL probably $7,000, and a 800-D (THAT is a really nice toy) would be between $7,000 and $10,000 (all of these REALLY well preserved, in close to pristine conditions).

Also, 4-million units is meaningless in terms of supply/demand of a give model, and for a given set of target-attributes. Even today a see bizarro high prices for the crap-built C64, which sold by gazillions (!)  IF that 800's seller has a true, legit, "unused" unit still wrapped and original box, I don't think his price is necessarily way off. Early APPLE II's have fetched way more than that, and they are clearly inferior (quality-wise) than Apple II's produced right after. The occurrence of the target attribute-set is the real key.

What I find surprising, though, part of our community reflects (financially) upon their own hobby and its technological legacy. It is not uncommon to see the "cheap junk" mentality around. To this extent, I would only say, let those that consider it more valuable handle their money in whatever way they please or deem appropriate... and let those that conceptualize their hobby as cheap-junk continue to do so, freely and happily

And let the market-forces take care of the details. A happily-ever-after for everyone.

You make some excellent points, @Faicuai, but the most important aspect in this situation, and one that you failed to consider in your thoughtful post, is that I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE THAT THING!!! ?

3 minutes ago, jamm said:

You make some excellent points, @Faicuai, but the most important aspect in this situation, and one that you failed to consider in your thoughtful post, is that I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE THAT THING!!! ?

Well, as strange as it sounds... I WOULD DIE to have a unit that I could call "UNUSED", "SEALED", so I can sell it for a TON OF CASH!!!

I LOVE MONEY !!! (and I have no problems being minority on this one, believe me! ??)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mytek said:

Yeah you're probably right. I'm thinking back around 4-5 years ago

----------

I think I'd rather go for this at $275 delivered...

800.thumb.jpg.c6e25f33222cb9c574eeefb1e1e883c8.jpg

eBay Link

Looks just as clean, plastic color looks even better, comes with a great game, and it's shown working.

Well, to anyone who's really paying attention, that machine that you have posted there is not worth more than $75.00

The composition and texture of bottom-decal says it all (and color-finish is in clearly worse condition, in general).

Sorry, but it is what it is.