IGNORED

Saitek 6X 33M vs MakoPad analog gamepad on 5200

Swami

I almost found something I've been looking for for a long time: A pure DOS compatible gamepad with an analog thumbstick. The Saitek X6-33M looks too complex to work with the bohoki adapter on a 5200:

Saitek%20X6-33m.jpg

But it does work and the analog stick works great with games including Missile Command. It even has a switch for two analog speeds on the back. It even has the two trims for vertical and horizontal on the analog stick. In digital mode, the dpad works well for digital control. The big letdown, however, is that the two fire buttons end up as two trigger buttons on the back side of the unit (kind of like shoulder buttons). So the best way and reasonably playable way to play Missile Command is to play like you are holding a Wii nunchuck and the bottom trigger is the fire button and other hand for the analog stick. In fact, it makes all gameplaying, including digital pretty awkward, although I was able to get pretty high scores, for me, up around 20,000 on Missile Command using the nunchuck two hand method. If fact, I don't think I've gotten through level 6 before. I'm thinking about trying to make an adapter to see if I can get those two blue C and D buttons to swap with the A and B. Hopefully the C and D are not on some serial output chip.

saitek.jpg

EDIT: See my post #14, below, for my review of the PC Power Pad Pro/MakoPad

Anybody know of any other gamepads with a true analog thumbstick that are pure DOS compatible? Anybody have a Saitek P750 for PC they could try? Looks iffy, but maybe. Oh, also, the small toggle switches are for auto and turbo fire, which actually work for the A and B triggers on the X6-33M.

saitek2.jpg

The Saitek P750 isn't compatible- I've tried it. 

I have the Radio Shack analog thumbstick controller (same as the X6-33M Saitek that you have) and really don't like the main fire button on the left trigger. If there's an adapter for moving the fire buttons from the triggers to the C & D buttons, that'd be really nice.  It's actually a great controller for 5200 players to use- as long as C and D could be the main fire buttons. 

6 hours ago, ave1 said:

The Saitek P750 isn't compatible- I've tried it. 

I have the Radio Shack analog thumbstick controller (same as the X6-33M Saitek that you have) and really don't like the main fire button on the left trigger. If there's an adapter for moving the fire buttons from the triggers to the C & D buttons, that'd be really nice.  It's actually a great controller for 5200 players to use- as long as C and D could be the main fire buttons. 

Hopefully just a matter of swapping pins 2 and 7 with 10 and 14 with DB15 breakout boards between controller and bohoki adapter. 

7 hours ago, Swami said:

What did you think of the Mako Pad/PC Pad Pro for gameplay?

It's a nice controller, but the lack of symmetry leaves it in the less-than-ideal category.  Also, the thumbpad is not grippy enough- a little slippery.  I use it from time to time and like that it has the analog stick as an option.

I have used a symmetrical gamepad which has very tall sticks onboard (a Playstation controller) on the 5200 via two adapters (bohoki PC 15 pin to 5200 adapter and SmartJoy Emulator adapter for Playstation to PC 15 pin conversion).  It is the Interact Barracuda and it is a great experience for playing the analog and digital games.  I like how it's symmetrical and I like the tall thumbsticks that have a concave surface so your thumbs are held without slippage. 

Edited by ave1

10 hours ago, ave1 said:

It's a nice controller, but the lack of symmetry leaves it in the less-than-ideal category.  Also, the thumbpad is not grippy enough- a little slippery.  I use it from time to time and like that it has the analog stick as an option.

I have used a symmetrical gamepad which has very tall sticks onboard (a Playstation controller) on the 5200 via two adapters (bohoki PC 15 pin to 5200 adapter and SmartJoy Emulator adapter for Playstation to PC 15 pin conversion).  It is the Interact Barracuda and it is a great experience for playing the analog and digital games.  I like how it's symmetrical and I like the tall thumbsticks that have a concave surface so your thumbs are held without slippage. 

Just made the adapter for the Saitek X6-33M. It works great with C as fire 1 and D as fire 2.

At first I couldn't get down or right despite fiddling with the trims, but after power-cycling everything worked in the Atarimax cart menu and the games. Played Missile Command, Pac-Man and Defender. Defender worked awesome in Dpad digital mode and pac-man worked very well for an 8-way dpad. On the down-side, the analog stick is a little high for my thumb and is still a bit twitchy for using it like a dual shock thumbstick for Missile Command (hard to aim precisely) and the center moves a bit after centering it with the trims and trims, analog stick and dpad feel a bit on the cheap side, but not too bad. Also, the pad is shaped a little oddly and does not conform to your grip like a dual shock. I may splice the fire button wires so the triggers also work for fire because I can still do better in Missile Command using the nunchuck two-hand method (right hand on stick, left index finger on left trigger).

Time for bed, more later. I'd like to try some more games and compare it to the PS2 dual shock with the Smart Joy Emulator adapter. The Saitek X6-33M is a bit on the rare side, so I'd also like to compare it to the PC Pro pad, which is more avialble and doesn't need an adapter. One of my intended goals in this investigation is to find an analog pad that works well with all the analog games and can switch between analog and digital as an alternative to large analog joysticks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, ave1 said:

Image result for PC power pad pro

Image result for makopad

I just tested my PC Power Pad Pro/MakoPad (don't mistake it for the Makopad 64 for the N64) and it is head and shoulders above the Saitek one I discussed in the OP as an analog gamepad. I'd say it is the best option for an analog gamepad and also has the digital Dpad, as well as autofire, if you want to make it easier on your thumb mashing. It worked really well with Missile Command, I was able to get another high score with it. It also worked really well with Star Wars Arcade and Centipede. It works well with games like Defender, once you get used to the concave shape of the Dpad. I found the ship in defender switching directions inadvertantly on me a few times, but got better with use. You cant slide your thumb around on the Dpad as much as you can on the flat Dpads, I felt like I had to lift my thumb up to hit another direction. It is asymmetric, but still fits your hands well. I think the main issue is, it appears, the analog stick x/y is rotated at a bit of an angle towards the center of the pad, which requires a bit of adjustment, but you get used to it ... I think.? Another good thing is that there appear to be about 20 of them on eBay from new to open box to used and three on Amazon from New to Very Good.

Regarding Gyruss, with the analog thumbstick, I could not get it to work except to move half a turn from bottom to top, but couldn't get it back to bottom despite messing with the trims. It worked great in digital dpad mode which makes me thing Gyruss is actually programmed as a digital movement game, rather than analog. This would also explain why I frequently run into problems try to use an analog mouse setup. I have no other explanation. I am betting it works almost flawlessly with one of the mouse to joystick adapters with the ikonsgr or one of the Masterplay clones, although they are each wired differently, so I can't say for certain right now. I know I have gotten two button fully working joystick mouse with USB mouse and a mouse to joystick adapter with the ikonsgr and bohoki adapter.

Nice analysis. I have noticed the tilted D-pad on the Makopad, and it's something you can get used to... but I prefer the Gravis Gamepad Pro when it comes to D-pad controllers.  

Good to hear you got that adapter to work on the Saitek X6-33M.  Really nice option for enjoying the games. I like my Radio Shack version of that controller (the d-pad especially seems appealing to me because it's clicky), and I really should make that adapter. I do have some free time on my hands over the next 2 or 3 weeks, so that may be on the agenda! 

Oh, and that's interesting about Gyruss... I couldn't get it working right with the analog stick of the Maker Matrix controller, which I thought was odd.  When it comes to the Saitek, it seems like a similar circumstance...

Good hearing what you've learned :)

13 hours ago, ave1 said:

Nice analysis. I have noticed the tilted D-pad on the Makopad, and it's something you can get used to... but I prefer the Gravis Gamepad Pro when it comes to D-pad controllers.  

Good to hear you got that adapter to work on the Saitek X6-33M.  Really nice option for enjoying the games. I like my Radio Shack version of that controller (the d-pad especially seems appealing to me because it's clicky), and I really should make that adapter. I do have some free time on my hands over the next 2 or 3 weeks, so that may be on the agenda! 

Oh, and that's interesting about Gyruss... I couldn't get it working right with the analog stick of the Maker Matrix controller, which I thought was odd.  When it comes to the Saitek, it seems like a similar circumstance...

Good hearing what you've learned :)

The makopad is definitely not the best dpad. There are probably over a dozen better alternatives and I would probably swap out to one of them if I went from an analog game to digital. For analog joysticks there are also a large number of alternatives, including flight yolks and pc dos racing wheels,  but there are very limited options for analog thumbstick pads that are widely available and work with Missile Command, Star Wars Arcade, etc. Although it depends if you prefer to play analog games with trackball, joystick or gamepad. I don’t recall if anyone’s tested Star Raiders with PC analog stick vs maker matrix vs dpad. 

I can try Star Raiders in the near future and see what the deal is with the analog thumbstick controllers.

I did try Gyruss with both the Makopad PC and the RadioShack thumbstick controller (plugged into the bohoki adapter).  Seems to work fine with the Radioshack controller thumbstick and Dpad, and the Makopad Dpad control was great- yet the thumbstick control was only about 80 or 90 percent as good.  What was imperfect was the switching from the lower half of the screen to the top half. The sweeping up or down movement would sometimes get caught by an invisible barrier (sometimes for more than a second, but usually just a split second).  I'd much rather play it with a 2600 Trakball connected to either my Masterplay Clone or my 9 pin to 5200 Ikonsgr adapter... or maybe the RadioShack thumbstick controller.

When it comes to holding the RadioShack thumbstick controller, I tried it with the Wii nunchuck 2 hand positioning that you suggested and I can see what you mean. It does improve the results, but it's a somewhat odd way of holding a gamepad. I hope to make one of those adapters that will remap the buttons, so I can actually have a nice thumbstick controller to play Gyruss with.

Edited by ave1

Okay, today I took some time to take a cut-off cord with 15 pin female end that I had sitting in a drawer since 2016 and wire it up to a 15 pin solderless connector.  I got the colored wires of the cord all successfully mapped out and properly connected with help of a multimeter and took the adapter over to the 5200 to try it out with the Radioshack controller.

I played Centipede and it's controlling really well now that I have those C and D button working in place of the triggers!  I also found it to be the best thumbstick controller that I own for Gyruss. It's really solid! 

Glad that I decided to do this. That little adapter will be a great addition to my 5200 collection for many years to come. 

Swami- do you think that Turbo Speed switch on the back of the controller makes much of a difference in Gyruss?  I am thinking it may slightly speed up the Gyruss ship movement- but it's very subtle.  This is an interesting feature for a controller to have.

Edited by ave1