IGNORED

Junk Systems?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Twin-Famicom-Disk-System-Sharp-Game-Console-Gray-AN-500B-Sold-As-Is/274297795497?hash=item3fdd6c33a9:g:bygAAOSwiMteYi91

Twins are not cheap on Ebay.  Even junk twins like the above link.  I sent a message.  He probably won't go any lower.  But not only twins I see lots of junk famicoms and other systems that are not working.  Junk means not working and probably not fixable.  And in some cases def not fixable at all.  I mean if its not working or fixable then its useless.  I mean just to put on a shelf and let people stare at it its not worth it as some are listed.  Or for spare parts.  The shell only if tis in mint condition.  And the internals not much unless specific parts from the motherboard like ram is needed.  And even then no guarantee it works.  I mean if its broken it will usually cost more to fix than its worth.  So even if its rare if its broken is not worth such a high price.  So how do people determine such a high price?

Junk is not useless if it can be repaired or salvaged for parts to fix another broken thing. I would gladly pay 10000 yen for a broken PC Engine GT and get it repaired for another 10000~20000, which is far less than the typical asking price of 40000~80000 yen for a functional one that probably needs a recap in the first place. I almost did this a few months ago but got outbid.

Same with the PC Engine LT, as well. Now, this does assume it's something that can be repaired, of course.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

About those junk PC Engine LTs I mentioned... I see a lot of junk PC Engine LTs that are sold as junk because the owner doesn't have any PC Engine games to test it with, so they can't assume that it works properly. Are they junk? Maybe, but maybe not. They are sold as junk, but they may be 100% functional. Risky, but they should not be hard to repair. I know there is a shop in Kyoto that specializes in fixing broken PC Engine LTs and GTs. On the subject of the GT, lots of the junk PC Engine GTs have no sound, which can possibly be fixed with just a simple recap.

Here is an untested GT sold as junk. Is it? Nobody knows. I may very well pick this one up if it's still there when I get paid and nobody else does. There is one that is a similar price in town without the TV tuner that I tested and know works, though, so that one would be my first choice. This is still a good option, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-GT-Console-TVtuner-NEC-PI-TG6-PI-AD11-Untested-Junk/233516391106?epid=111031773&hash=item365ea95ac2:g:orYAAOSwqIJeYeCI

• Like 1

It's worth noting that the person doing the selling may not be knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot even a basic issue & conclude the unit's busted when it's not. I once gave a friend a Dreamcast I found cheap at a thrift store. She called me later to say it wasn't working. I came over- she didn't have the power cord all the way in. Heck, I just sold an SNES here a few weeks ago with a 'dead' AC adapter. Didn't work on the one for sale, didn't work on my deck, put it in the box when I sold it anyway... buyer said it's fine. I have no idea what happened there- maybe the mailman jostled a loose connection back together. Worked out great for my buyer! I've seen plenty of youtube videos of guys buying lots of broken consoles, and discovering the only issue on many of them was dirty connectors.

If you have the means, it can be worth your time. Plus, if you have the means it's probably something you enjoy doing, so the chance to tinker could be worth the cost by itself.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Yes but the question is why?  Junk is useless and should be priced accordingly.

"Junk" means something different in Japan than it does here, and you are talking about a listing from a Japanese seller. He has at least tried to use the local parlance by also saying "As Is", which is what "junk" actually means in Japan. It doesn't mean it's useless or even that it necessarily has anything wrong with it. This one seems to have some kind of output problem, but the "junk" description just means he has gone no further in diagnosing it and won't take any more responsibility for it. It could be a bad cable for all anyone knows.

I have bought plenty of "junk" items in Japan that had absolutely nothing wrong with them. All it usually means is "untested, as is".

Also the reason it's $99 is obvious. The shipping is free and he's shipping it from Japan. So the actual price is more like $50.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

"Junk" means something different in Japan than it does here, and you are talking about a listing from a Japanese seller. He has at least tried to use the local parlance by also saying "As Is", which is what "junk" actually means in Japan. It doesn't mean it's useless or even that it necessarily has anything wrong with it. This one seems to have some kind of output problem, but the "junk" description just means he has gone no further in diagnosing it and won't take any more responsibility for it. It could be a bad cable for all anyone knows.

I have bought plenty of "junk" items in Japan that had absolutely nothing wrong with them. All it usually means is "untested, as is".

Also the reason it's $99 is obvious. The shipping is free and he's shipping it from Japan. So the actual price is more like $50.

So $99 is not worth it?

I didn't noticed the free shipping.

I never noticed the "Junk" but yeah many Japanese sellers do'nt bother and just drop items "untested" on auctions. Sometime you win, sometime you lose, sometime you get what you paid for. Had a few surprises like that - buying a IFU30 and seeign that the seller sold it with a Cd-Rom² unit inside. I had bough one on the side. Ironically, the "free" one worked after replacing the unfamous rotten gear. The untested one I got on the side probably had a bad laser and never worked. Heh!

Got a "non working" Neo Geo CD from Japan for 55$. Turns out the very weak and crappy contact for the closed door was bent. I un-bent it and bam, working again.

• Like 1

As has been pointed out, $99 for a Twin Famicom is not much lower than the price of a functional one after you consider the exchange rate:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0001PWF1G/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I am not sure of what he wants for shipping, though. The real crime here is that I can't buy this from him:

qwretyuiguytdfyg.jpg