IGNORED

New Game Idea - Homebrew

4 hours ago, bhall408 said:

Here is a wild thought... What if the game took on a Time Pilot element, and you started in 1865 (ballon over a bridge) then to 1918 (zeppelin over city) then 1940 (bomber over fuel dumps) then 1950 (UFO over nuclear power plants)

And of course then it would be...  Time Bomber ;-)

Don't forget the charge up San Juan Hill by President Teddy in 1898.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Let's try this:

Aha ! the problem was the png file was saved as a long string of characters.. once I renamed as it should be, all was good !

Look complicated though.. I'll try to figure out what I can do with this !

Just now, TIX said:

Aha ! the problem was the png file was saved as a long string of characters.. once I renamed as it should be, all was good !

Look complicated though.. I'll try to figure out what I can do with this !

Dude, your avatar looks way more complicated ?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Dude, your avatar looks way more complicated ?

what can I say ?

I am an old school pencil on paper artist..  only the last year I started using a pixel editor and introduced myself in a new world of pain/fun  :P

I'm sure we can work it out..

All good...

A few selling points as you enter the 21st century... haha

- as you edit the png, Tiled will pick it up on the fly. No need to re-add the tileset, etc. Just have Paint opened on the side with a zoomed in grid as you work and hit save every now and then.

- therefore, if you modify an existing tile (through the png), Tiled will automatically update every instance you have already placed on the map.

- use the bucket button to fill a space on the map with a given tile. No need to click multiple times...

- feel free to resize the map to add more screens... just increase height using increments of 12 tiles (which is also the number of rows on the Inty screen).

image.thumb.png.530c9493f536c32a83f70138ff273b4a.png

Edited by cmadruga

The screen is 20x12 cards (tiles) but at one given time you can only define 64 GRAM (own tiles besides the letters and numbers in ROM). You can redefine a given set of GRAM at vertical blank, which would change what is displayed on screen if you have those in the screen. The GRAM area is shared between screen cards and MOBs (sprites) where each MOB can cover one or two GRAM depending on size and resolution.

As for maximum number of screens (each 20x12), it probably is more flexible and depends on the game's final ROM size.

Edited by carlsson

I wouldn't worry about max #tiles it for now, you can expand the .png to make room for them.

Of course, that doesn't mean infinite content can be brought in, but let's have creativity flow a little bit at this point.

Something useful to keep in mind, however:

At this point I'm thinking about 44 positions could be redefined for each level.

So basically what's inside the red area would be fair game, including terrain.

I'd like to reserve the other 20 for sprites and other "stuff" TBD.

image.png.a5b2a72b9ec68e5f2e7651a25ab27918.png

Edited by cmadruga

my first tries on level design.. be gentle !

image.thumb.png.58a08ffccd2c47df6b36aa027d2cfd2d.png      <- a factory/construction site

image.thumb.png.416d2ccb9ac5923f259cdec1d580d77d.png       <- a hospital strategically placed in the middle of things..

image.thumb.png.9f946af2c8a198001b12cfcf39d7e672.png       <- an airfield (in a canyon ????????? :P)

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

Wow, very nice!!! Love all the screens!

Just a few things to note:

- remember to leave the top 5 rows of tiles free for the plane/zep to fly by.

- likewise, the last row of tiles at the bottom should be solid ground... otherwise bombs would fall through the screen.

- I have code in place that will automatically restack everything on screen... so the portion inside the red circle should automatically collapse!

image.png.341d3a4935ee332f93936608777bed1f.png

• Like 1

So how do you like working on a tile editor?

Those green boxes are not on your png.

Are you planning on adding those, or any others more?

Looks like a good size tileset for now.

Once you are all done with the tiles, send me all the files again. 

... please ?

Edited by cmadruga

I'm thinking I will have to amend my collision and re-stacking logic to allow for "background tiles".

(I'm using the term loosely here.)

"background tile" = non destructible and non re-stackable.

Those tile attributes would have to be specific to each map... because for instance, this particular tile that is circled would be a "background tile" at the 1st map below, but not at the 2nd.

image.thumb.png.0bb6d96e3d6f3e324ee66eee585f8621.png

image.thumb.png.5afa55c655efa0fe704aa264f670d8dd.png

On 3/20/2020 at 11:32 PM, First Spear said:

Where there's a flying Zeppelin, there must be Monty Python-esque music. :) Hopefully you'll find this useful. Source code and stuff in the programming forum (I prefer to keep development stuff there so it's easy for the rest of the coding sub-community to find). Enjoy.

monty.cfg 137 B · 4 downloads

monty.bin 7.78 kB · 3 downloads

This kind of morphed into a development thread, I wonder if it's better to continue it at the programming subforum.

Folks are probably getting saturated with details.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1