IGNORED

Why is Survival Island ranked so low?

Propane13

According to the first page of the below topic, Survival Island for the Supercharger is ranked second-to-last.

I was curious about why it's so bad in comparison to the other games.  I haven't played it much, but I liked the little that I tried.

I was curious if there were flaws that I'm just unaware of.  It seemed like there was a large maze element to it that looked promising.

• Like 1

Id never even heard of it. Likely lack of knowledge is a large factor, people don't necessarily not like it, but rather never played it.

I'll have to get a win10 emulator and try this, in general I find most supercharger games to be top shelf (even if the game isn't my flavor)

• Like 2

Probably because it's not the kind of game you'd expect or necessarily want to play on the VCS when there's so many other choices. Kind of just gets lost in the shuffle. 

I've heard of Survival Island but never really looked into it until now. The game looks to have quite a bit of depth. Looks pretty neat, but these days, just don't have the time or inclination to play such an exploratory/rpg type game. 

• Like 2

A game being low on the top 100 list doesn't mean that it isn't good - just that less people picked it as a favorite. For an obscure supercharger title, the fact that it appears at all means that it's probably a pretty decent game.

• Like 2

This is my 3rd favorite SC game right behind Dragon Stomper and Escape from the Mind Master. It is in my top 10 of all time favorite VCS games. I still have my hand drawn maps for the island and the maze from back in the 80's. Replay value goes down after you solved it and mapped it. But damn, back in the day, this was an amazing game, best of breed. To bad this was at the time of the crash. One could only imagine the games that the SC cold have produced. 99 multi-load levels of Adventure, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark type games... They could have done the Swordquest series better.   

• Like 4

I agree with most of what everyone else says here.  For me, BITD, this game was Mind-Blowing!  It became almost an obsession for me and my friend;  We also were hand drawing maps to it.  We kept playing and playing it, in the way you would later do with NES games.  But, back then we played games, we didn't beat games...And it is an easy game to get lost in (I mean this figuratively and literally), which was a fairly rare experience back in those days.  Truth is, I never made it past that second part.  I think I heard it was 3 parts.  But for some reason at some point, we put it away and just never went back to it.

To this day I haven't gone back to it, but my memories of it are very fond.  It was one of my Favorite Supercharger games ever!  I kind of feel like if you missed it back in the day, you may have missed it.  Few people have the patience nowadays...When was the last time you hand made a map for anything?  I also imagine people playing the ROM for a small bit of time, and then writing it off without getting it.  But when it was a game you bought and one of the (comparatively) few games you owned, you not only put in the time,  you loved every minute of it.  Fun game!

• Like 2