IGNORED

What game system(or computer) would you like to see most as a "classic mini" version?

bluejay

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

the Mega Drive Mini had three-button controllers

https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガゲームス-9247-メガドライブミニW/dp/B07Q3RGBDF/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=メガドライブミニ&qid=1584328606&sr=8-1

Not everyone has 3 button controllers. The d-pad on mine is kind of weird/squishy, but it's good overall. I don't use it anymore, though, since I recently got the 2.4GHz Saturn and Genesis controllers and they are really good.

Anyway, I'd like to see a Vectrex mini with a 100% accurate recreation of the screen. Hell, it doesn't even have to be mini; a full-size one would be fine!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガゲームス-9247-メガドライブミニW/dp/B07Q3RGBDF/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=メガドライブミニ&qid=1584328606&sr=8-1

Not everyone has 3 button controllers. The d-pad on mine is kind of weird/squishy, but it's good overall. I don't use it anymore, though, since I recently got the 2.4GHz Saturn and Genesis controllers and they are really good.

I know that but Mega Drive was not as popular in Japan, so the nostalgia factor was not that strong I guess.

18 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I know that but Mega Drive was not as popular in Japan, so the nostalgia factor was not that strong I guess.

It totally failed in Japan. I think it had like 10% market share or something, and I think the Famicom might have outsold it every year that they were on the market together. That's why everything is so damn expensive now. I finally might go buy Slap Fight MD when I get paid next week, and that means no more new games for next month, unfortunately.

So who owns the rights to the Vectrex now? Looks like Hasbro does. I don't know much about them, but I doubt they would be interested in making a Vectrex mini.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Smith Enginnering always retained ownership of Vectrex IP and licensed them out to manufacturers.  Any patents would have expired.  I think all the original games were developed by Smith Engineering and Jay Smith still owns the copyrights today.  He has openly supported hobbyists to copy his software.  A commercial project would still need his permission if it were to include his games.  A retro video game consumer product with a CRT is highly unlikely but I could see one with an lcd screen.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Vectrex... the original "mini"!   :lol:

And yeah, I'd buy a new Vectrex for sure. The system totally deserves a revival, especially when you factor in the homebrews. Just don't make the viewable portion of the screen any smaller than it was. ;)

If you want the homebrews too, then it would perhaps be preferable to set up a Raspberry Pi with a Vectrex emulator, together with a miniature screen and some kind of controller with joystick and 4 buttons. I wouldn't usually suggest an R-Pi solution like that, but the Vectrex being somewhat obscure compared to most other consoles of the time (and the vector screen being completely outdated tech that no company is its right mind would try to manufacture again today) then just going for a cheap solution seems appropriate, IMHO. The only "trick", aside from a custom plastic enclosure for the unit, would be to make sure that the miniature screen is oriented (and used) in TATE mode.

Of course, you could also replace the R-Pi with a dedicated FPGA, and this would make it possible to install and run TATE-oriented arcade game cores on the little unit, but then the main draw of the unit would be the arcade games, and the Vectrex core would be a minor extra. :)

On 3/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, roots.genoa said:

The whole point of mini consoles is to recreate the original controllers faithfully. They didn't even add a menu button on the NES and SNES Mini controllers and you have to press Reset on the console to save or change game. And that's also why the Mega Drive Mini had three-button controllers which people remembered more than the six-button ones.

My point is the N64 controllers are really big, with a specific analog stick that they don't produce anymore. I think they would cost at least $20 each. With two controllers it would be difficult to sell the system less than $100, but the SNES was already $80 if I'm not mistaken.

But then again, people are willing to pay hundreds for NES/SNES minis on ebay. I would be surprised if they get mad at Nintendo for selling a N64 mini for $100.

• Like 1