IGNORED

Open 6810 Doubler PCB (for 1050 US Doubler Upgrade)

Nezgar

Inspired by igi's blog, I worked with a friend of mine, Kludgy, who created an open PCB design for the "6810 Doubler" for the Atari 1050 US Doubler, without the need to solder the two 6810 SRAM chips together. This allows a completely reversible installation, and less soldering steps are always appreciated by the soldering averse. Installation of the US Doubler with this PCB only requires one additional 6810 RAM chip, as the original one from a stock 1050 can be used in one of the sockets. The ROM may still need altering of the jumper positions however.

I took advantage of OSH Park's "After Dark" black substrate and clear mask promotion for my first ever OSH Park order of 3 PCB's, which they arrived today. I got the pin headers and sockets soldered on, installed it in a 1050 with a US Doubler EPROM, and 2 6810 SRAM's, and I'm happy to report it works great!

If anyone is interested in a US Doubler upgrade "Kit" with this fully assembled PCB, a programmed EPROM and 1 6810, express interest here and I'll tally up numbers for a potential additional run of PCB's, and figure out pricing. (Probably in the range of $15 to $20USD + Shipping)

For those that are interested in assembling it yourself, here are links to the project at OSH Park & KiCad files at GitHub:

OSH Park: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/UESpVTDz
GitHub: https://github.com/Kludgy/open6810doubler

BOM:

• 2x MCM6810 or equivalent (1 new, 1 from original 1050)
  • 2x 24 pin machine sockets for the top of the PCB
  • 2x 12 Pin Machine header Strips to interconnect the PCB into the original 6810 location (U8) on the 1050 motherboard.
  • 1x 24-pin machine socket on the motherboard (Optional, but provides more secure contact)

Without further ado, here are some pictures:

Open6810Doubler3x.thumb.jpg.0a8c632d581cffc97a1dc207e0467ae3.jpg

Open6810DouberBottom.thumb.jpg.1f1c271f4c8e515fb040c2d8a36186a4.jpg

Open6810DoublerComplete.thumb.jpg.6427224866e65fa2ac7061b7f6894234.jpg

Open6810DoublerInstalled.thumb.jpg.a28641630477b544ab2537bdd75dcb73.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more just arrived. :) I like the purple PCBs better.

IMG_9328.thumb.jpg.8d606fba6a7a25abad659a2c4ba2c113.jpg

Some more specific pricing, postage estimates may be higher for more than a couple (in USD):

Option 1: Bare PCB $5ea, postage $2 Canada/USA, $3 International

Option 2: Assembled with programmed EPROM & 1 6810 SRAM $15ea, postage $3 Canada/USA, $7 International

PM if interested.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

These are sexy.  Do I need to cut the metal shield to have these in place?

Good question. I usually take the shield off and never put it back. I presume it will not fit inside the shield, since there's little clearance left between the chips and the mech. I'll get a picture in a bit.

If you want the shield in place, the conventional homebrew piggybacked pair of 6810's method can be used.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, blacka013 said:

I've built my first board up and is now working in my US Doubler upgraded 1050. It certainly looks more professional than piggybacking the two ram chips and having two pieces of wire soldered across the top.

Great work Nezgar.

Awesome! Good to hear a couple more about a couple more alive in the wild. :)

11 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

I'll take 4. How do we order these?

Bob

Hi Bob! Email Sent. (Also sent you another email a few days regarding your "other" thread. :) )

On 4/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, kheller2 said:

These are sexy.  Do I need to cut the metal shield to have these in place?

I tested placing a shield back overtop, and I'm happy to report that it indeed fits, with about 1-2mm of height to spare!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I currently have on hand:

30 PCB's -- $5ea, postage $2 Canada/USA, $3 International

10 assembled kits (with programmed EPROM & 1 6810 SRAM) -- $20ea + postage $5 Canada/USA, $7 International

Unless you tell me otherwise, I will program the EPROM with my patched/optimized US Doubler ROM for Tandon drives as per this post:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/158768-atari-1050-roms/?do=findComment&comment=4594602

PM if interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, BillC said:

The first post has links to OSH Park and GitHub.

Yeah, I saw those. But unfortunately, all that is like a foreign language to me.  PCBWay and JLCPCB are asking to enter a Gerber file??  I wanna compare pricing. And would like a different color other than purple.

23 hours ago, Dopeyman06 said:

Yeah, I saw those. But unfortunately, all that is like a foreign language to me.  PCBWay and JLCPCB are asking to enter a Gerber file??  I wanna compare pricing. And would like a different color other than purple.

See attached zip file...just loaded with KiCAD and exported to Gerber. No warranty and no batteries included.

Open6810Doubler.zip

• Like 1

Hello Larryleffaovell,

Thanks for posting the Zip with the Gerber data.

Can you please also post the KiCad design file?

Then I can see if I can panalize it to fit some in a 100 x 100mm PCB.

This size is very cheap with JLCPCB and I also found how I can get the V-Scoring to work.

Of course I'll post the results here again....

BR/

Guus Assmann

Edited by guus.assmann
  • Like 1