IGNORED

How to minimize composite out noise?

root42

I modded my Vader about a year ago with a simple single transistor composite out mod. The quality is okay, but I currently have some artifacts, like horizontal bands running up the screen. See attached video...

What measures are useful in minimizing those artifacts? Better video cables? Shielding the internal wiring? Putting ferrite cores around the cables?

Or a different mod altogether?

54 minutes ago, root42 said:

I modded my Vader about a year ago with a simple single transistor composite out mod. The quality is okay, but I currently have some artifacts, like horizontal bands running up the screen. See attached video...

What measures are useful in minimizing those artifacts? Better video cables? Shielding the internal wiring? Putting ferrite cores around the cables?

Or a different mod altogether?

For some reason your video shows up as an audio-only clip on my computer?

But I would suggest that trying a better video cable is an excellent place to start for interference problems. From personal experience I found a lot of my RCA cable problems came from less-then-great quality cables.

You might try just moving the cables around a bit as well, as the current routing might have it too close to something it is picking up some signal noise from? I find that can help as well.

• Like 1

A few things that helped my video. I wrapped the video cable around a ferret core a few times and tucked it inside the 2600 case. I moved the Atari and CRT further away from my flat screen TV. The CRT itself was putting out some interference, so moving the Atari and cable around helped. I've noticed some of my light bulbs were RF noisy. Try turning off nearby lamps. Turn off any fans. Some of your electronics might be putting out radio noise.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great hints! I will test them all out. After all this is no HUGE deal, since the console is almost 40 years old and uses analog video. So I don’t expect a noise free picture. But of course I want to have a decent picture quality anyway...